Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2010 GL 1800. getting time for new tires. I seen others posting about getting car tires for their Bike. What are the pros and cons to using a car tire and what size for the front and rear to you use? Definitely a radial tire.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
A 195/55 16 is the closest size to the original rear tire. You CAN NOT put a car tire on the front,
I have been running a car tire on the rear for 12 years, don't know of any cons. It lasts longer, rides better has better traction & after a few miles of getting used to it handles just as good.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I haven't ran a car tire on any bike but lots of riders do. The contact patch is very small when on a curve road, people say the C/T tire takes time to get used to but it does give better mileage. Honda shops will NOT install one due to liability issues.
Watch at all the way, I will admit this is not the norm with a car tire.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
This is a great video in favor of the car tire

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
the CT actually presents more contact patch on a curve than the MT does.
and it DAMN SURE does a lot better job in the rain....

I have both, on my 1800 lately, I am using the E4 simply because I'm only riding maybe 25 miles a week? and my skill set is eroded badly.

the E4 leans w/o complaint, the CT exhibits a little bit of "push me over please", it will not lean over w/o you helping it. I found it to want to straighten out the curves and push me to the outside of the curve.... but again, I am not riding every day anymore.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
the CT actually presents more contact patch on a curve than the MT does.
and it DAMN SURE does a lot better job in the rain....

the E4 leans w/o complaint, the CT exhibits a little bit of "push me over please", it will not lean over w/o you helping it. I found it to want to straighten out the curves and push me to the outside of the curve..
I never saw a problem with having to "push it over" just a slight nudge and it turns and a slight nudge to straighten it up. But I do run more pressure than you did. Couldn't really tell the difference when I switched. First thing I noticed is it rode sooooo much better. 200,000 on car tires and never going back.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Dave,since the tires run so long,do the users have to remove the rear wheel and regressed the splines between tire changes?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
I never saw a problem with having to "push it over" just a slight nudge and it turns and a slight nudge to straighten it up. But I do run more pressure than you did. Couldn't really tell the difference when I switched. First thing I noticed is it rode sooooo much better. 200,000 on car tires and never going back.
Dave,
I did not like the higher pressures, made my back hurt in less than an hour.
I needed a softer cushion for my spine.
Probably don't help that the bike is full Traxxion springs.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
Dave,since the tires run so long,do the users have to remove the rear wheel and regressed the splines between tire changes?
They don't last me that long, I get 12-15000 miles from 1. But no and 1800s don't suffer the spline problems earlier models did, I grease mine about 30,000 miles even though it's so much easier than a 1500.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
Dave,
I did not like the higher pressures, made my back hurt in less than an hour.
I needed a softer cushion for my spine.
Probably don't help that the bike is full Traxxion springs.
You outweigh me by a good bit and mine has stiffer suspension than yours.
Lost my train of thought for a while.
NO WAY IN HE11 that E4 rides better than the run flat you had.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Dave,your mileages on the CT seems to be close to same as normal tire,I thought they ran like twice as long as normal,my 1500 tire runs your indicated mileage so I’m wonder why the CT is surperior ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
They don't last me that long, I get 12-15000 miles from 1. But no and 1800s don't suffer the spline problems earlier models did, I grease mine about 30,000 miles even though it's so much easier than a 1500.
Hi Dave, I have a 2005 GL 1800 and was not aware of the need to grease the splines. It has 40,000 or so miles, where can I find info about greasing the splines? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If you have had your tire changed at a dealer ,,they would have greased it.
i change my own so I know that it done right and o rings replaced too

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me. I take my wheels off and bring them to the dealer when tire replacement is necessary so they have never greased my splines. If you can direct me to where I can learn how to do this procedure I would appreciate it. Thanks

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
Dave,your mileages on the CT seems to be close to same as normal tire,I thought they ran like twice as long as normal,my 1500 tire runs your indicated mileage so I’m wonder why the CT is surperior ?
It's nearly 2x what I got out of motorcycle tires.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
Not very likely, it's not even on the maintenance schedule. A good many have probably never had the splines lubed.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me. I take my wheels off and bring them to the dealer when tire replacement is necessary so they have never greased my splines. If you can direct me to where I can learn how to do this procedure I would appreciate it. Thanks
This is the best I have found https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...on/reardrive&usg=AOvVaw2QbiBIkiHExyRMWpr2fLIr , but he removes the right saddle bag, which is not necessary at all. Looked at a couple of useless videos. I'll be doing mine in a couple months, will try to do a tutorial then.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is the best I have found https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwif-d3AoqLpAhUOEqwKHW-rAocQFjAKegQIAxAB&url=https://pbase.com/fredharmon/reardrive&usg=AOvVaw2QbiBIkiHExyRMWpr2fLIr , but he removes the right saddle bag, which is not necessary at all. Looked at a couple of useless videos. I'll be doing mine in a couple months, will try to do a tutorial then.
Thank you Dave, that was very helpful, now I have a direction to start with.

·
1,716 Posts
Be aware , - the 1500 are wery different from the 1800 . No wheel splines on the 1800 , only the splines on the propeller shaft . ( which should be lubed around 50000 to 80000 miles , depending off riding style , trailer or not , temperature where you ride , how many years on bike , and , and ).

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
Be aware , - the 1500 are wery different from the 1800 . No wheel splines on the 1800 , only the splines on the propeller shaft . ( which should be lubed around 50000 to 80000 miles , depending off riding style , trailer or not , temperature where you ride , how many years on bike , and , and ).
Thank you, I did not even think about the wheel splines.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts