Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought a new TMS AGM battery and it was ready to go right out of the box. There is no vent tube but there are two little holes on the top of the battery. Are these vents? Is there any risk of corrosion above the battery as a result?

(I have high hopes for this AGM. The gel battery in my Miata is in its 15th year.)

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

There are no vent tubes on an agm battery. My guess would be that the two holes are plugged deep down and that they were fill holes during the manufacturing process.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

A good glass mat and/or gel type battery, because it is not direct vent, it is vented by a check valve system built in to the side or top wall construction. Why?

In a wet cell battery the cells are vented to atmosphere to prevent the excess gases in over charging to leave the battery enclosure thus no massive amounts of high internal pressure build up.

But the AGM and or gel type battery uses an electrolyte in the form of jello or gel that is not free flowing, so there is no spill of the liquid conductor from inside the battery enclosure, but as a gel type, over charging is still possible. To keep internal pressure under control that battery uses a built in check valve that operates to remove the pressure.

Originally these gel batteries had a limit of 1 or 2 amps to charge them. That low amperage keeps gassing down, but automotive batteries give and take lots of current, thus the check valve.

The design comes from deep cell technology where these batteries are drawn down to 80% and recharge at a slower rate and have a very tough designed wall structure.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Lack of a vent tube is one of the endearing features of AGM batteries, no more chrome pipes being damaged by battery drool.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

sfruechte wrote:
I just bought a new TMS AGM battery and it was ready to go right out of the box. There is no vent tube but there are two little holes on the top of the battery. Are these vents? Is there any risk of corrosion above the battery as a result?

(I have high hopes for this AGM. The gel battery in my Miata is in its 15th year.)
I bought one of these batteries in spring of 2011, no issues yet....bike was stored last winter in elements with trickle charger on it most of the time...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.