Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 84 Wing is ridable but I can only switch to higher gear when RPM is around 3000 and I cannot switch from 1st to neutral with running engine.
How is yours?

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I always had problems with my 1200going from 1st into neutral when the engine was running unless the bike was moving. You might try bleeding your clutch and putting in fresh fluid. This may help a bit. Also, what weight oil are you using? I had more problems with mine when I used 20w50. Things worked a lot better with 10w40.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

once i rebuilt the slave cylinder, and cleaned the sploooge from the bore. everything works dandy. i do,however use Delo400 oil . it seems to smooth the tranny a bit.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote: ditto.... also, the cam on the so-called "external shift mecinicm" might be a bit worn[/quote]How long does it take to get to the cam and how much is it?
Thanks for responces.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

Motosickle wrote:
once i rebuilt the slave cylinder, and cleaned the sploooge from the bore. everything works dandy. i do,however use Delo400 oil . it seems to smooth the tranny a bit.
Worked for me!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

newbiker wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote: ditto.... also, the cam on the so-called "external shift mecinicm" might be a bit worn
How long does it take to get to the cam and how much is it?
Thanks for responces.
[/quote]
the cam is behind the "transmission cover" which is the front bottom where the water pump and oil filter are... I would try the other stuff first before tearing into it.... and, as above, they will are difficult to get into neutral standing still

but the rest of the shifting shouldn't be difficult.... everyone has mentioned commmon problems,,, such as bleeding your cltch master (do not, repeat, do not) let the resevoir go dry as if you get a bubble in the system it is a PITA to get out

also, you might try replacing about a qt of oil with marvel mystery oil.... run it a hundred or so miles and clean up any gunk off the clutch plates, then replace the oil

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

i also have trouble getting it into neutral but if i let the clutch out a little until it just engages first gear and pop it into neutral that will work for me

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Bleeding the clutch and using the proper oil works for me, like rodger says don't let it go empty or your gonna have a fun time getting that air out. I've tried many oils that work for others and didn't for me, I'm currently using delo400 and it has been better as far as shifting goes, but it is getting time to change oil again so will be able to give more feedback on it from my engines stand point after another 3000 miles.

Ride Safe, Ray:action:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem till I cleaned out the yuck in the master resivour and flushed / bleed the system. The first time I tired, I didn't pump enough new fluid thorugh. The 2nd time around I flushed nearly a pint of fluid through with a tube on the bleeder and made sure it was very clear. Sealed it up, bled from the top one last time as was recommended on this site and its been perfect since.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

my wing shifts very easy from first to neutral, yours probably needs more clutch pressure, try bleeding it.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
my wing shifts very easy from first to neutral, yours probably needs more clutch pressure, try bleeding it.
Thats all fine and dandy William but who'e the girl :D

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

RayandTracy wrote:
William_86 wrote:
Thats all fine and dandy William but who'e the girl :D
She was a model for a Corona beer promotion at an event he attended in Mexico.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.