Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm taking a chance here, because the moderators will probably move it.....

Red rented a bunch of movies for me to watch while I recuperate.... one of them is the documentary, "Steep," a film about the development of extreme skiing..... You must watch this, even if you live in Florida or Iowa.... rent it, buy it, borrow it..... but watch it!

In this serious documentary, you will find the best expression of why you and I ride motorcycles in existence, and the word "motorcycle" never comes up once.... but you and I and those extreme skiers are alike, trust me.....

If you are the person I think you are, you won't be able to watch this beautiful film without a tear, when you listen to these happy, risk-taking skiers, who will ride the big mountains (just like we ride bikes) when it is truly dangerous.... because life without the skiing (or the riding) is simply unimaginable.........

Watch it, please.....

http://www.sonyclassics.com/steep/

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! I often wonder if I made a big mistake by not taking up,,,,,,, or trying to ski.

I watched the clips,,,,,,,,,,,,, those guys are really living.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Makes me think of my youth, skiing the steepest slopes I could find with no fear. Carrying wineskins full of Wild Turkey under my ski jacket and getting drunk enough to ski the black diamond slope at Beech Mountain, NC at night (just so you know, that slope had no lights and was closed at night.) Building "kickers" in the snow to launch ourselves higher and farther. On the back of my hard hat at work it read "If its snowing, I'm going!" I used to wear a "No Fear" t-shirt under my ski bib that read "Its not that LIFE's too short, its that you're DEAD for so long." Words to live by.:cooldevil:

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

If your into extreme ski movies there is only one name "Warren Miller"

Let's hope this does not kill my server.

This is my favorite skiingfootage from Warren Miller, Closing time.

Sit back turn up the volume go to full screen and enjoy.

Peter

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
imported post

Peterbylt and I were married at elevation 8400 feet! Squaw Valley Ski Resort, Lake Tahoe. That's alot for usflatlanders inflorida! Anyway myfavorite place to vacation!!:cool:We did the Wedding dress tux's and all!

Tynk

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Thanks, but I will stick to my Gold Wing

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

wow...thats some scary stuff.....rick

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Whoa...........I like adventure but those guys flying so close to the rocks almost made me make a mess in my jeans! I don't fly that close in an airplane and there is metal around me! Can you imagine just grazing a rock with your hand at 100 MPH?? :shock:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well, I've done a little bit of parachuting at a military jump club...and a whole lot of climbing in my day...and a whole lot of skiing, some out-of-bounds.... but not at the level these kids are accomplishing! What they do makes me proud... proud of the human race to which I belong.... inspires me.... After all, the old fellow in the film?...the guy who first skied off the Grand Teton?..... like he said... the seeking of adventure is what distinguishes us from the rest of the animal kingdom... to knowingly accept risk, that's what makes us unique... makes us human!

And, that, my friends, is why you ride motorcycles! Any half-dead yokel can ride over Beartooth Pass on a tour bus! But to do it on a bike......! Doing a montain pass on a motorcycle makes you an authentic adventurer, no matter how smooth the road, no matter how many Dairy Queens you stop at! Adventure is adventure, some risk is way, waybetter than no risk......

Well, I'm probably too old to ski montains like those in the film.... maybe not but probably..... and I'm currently in a pillow sling, can't ride, can't ski......

But I can snowshoe! Wonder how close I could I could get to Camp Muir on Mt Rainier.... old haunt of mine....been years....I wonder? After these current storms pass, after the snow consolidates, let's go see!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.