Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

After abit of someones expert advice since this site is just sooo good. That is really true.

Sold my 1500 last year as moved house. Now all sorted am on the look out for anotherfrom € 5000 to € 7000 max. ( french prices not that good )

Since started looking seems to be 2 options. Approx.

1. Bikes around1996 - 1998 with 170 000 to 200 000 km.

2. Bikes 1990 - 1993 with 70 000 to 130 000 km.

So my questions is do you think it's better to go newer with higher milage or older with less milage ?

Any advice very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

James S wrote:
...Since started looking seems to be 2 options. Approx.

1. Bikes around1996 - 1998 with 170 000 to 200 000 km. [105 - 124k miles]

2. Bikes 1990 - 1993 with 70 000 to 130 000 km. [43 - 81k miles]

So my questions is do you think it's better to go newer with higher milage or older with less milage ?

Are you seeking a bike that A) you can ride without doing any major work on it?...or B) are you the sort to completely tear-down the bike, address all maintenance items, then ride?

If (A) then get the lower milage bike, realizing that around 160km (100k) you'll have to do some larger maintenance items (timing belts).

If (B) then get the Higher milage bike, because you're going to have to do all the maintence items anyway, but you'll likely get a Lower Purchase Price to offset for that. These bike really do not wear out... most of the problems encountered are from having too Few miles, and being Stored for long periods of time (2 months or more).

Either way, realize that you're getting an old bike that will require a lot of minor maintenance items be addressed right off the bat (ex: Sticky electrical switches), and typically about $500 in parts.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks for the quick reply. Not really wanting to do lots of work, but can't really afford anymore so accept will have to do some.
Plus when i read some of the things on this forum it always sounds so satisfying when some one completes there service or first major job on the bike.

Buying as hobby only, use only occasionly for work.
3rd option is, seen 2 other bikes;
1992 160 000km, other 1994 204 000km
both € 5000 ?
Unless go older et high milage ?
Would love to have newer and low milage but not possible at present.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

You have to look at each bike on it's own merrit. Maintanace and care are far more important than mileage.
A low milage bike could be a piece of crap and a high mileage bike may be a gem.
Wilf

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

James S wrote:
...Buying as hobby only, use only occasionly for work.
3rd option is, seen 2 other bikes;
1992 160 000km, other 1994 204 000km
both € 5000 ?
Unless go older et high milage ?
Would love to have newer and low milage but not possible at present.
€ 5000 = $6,500 which would be a decent price here in the states, for a +1995 yr bike with less than 160k km (100k miles); with all major maintenance done.

Other items toconsider:

-From 1995 onwards, the transmission is better than for the older years (which frequently had big problems with the shift forks, mostly due to improper use/installation of heal-toe-shifters)

-The 1988 and 89 years have some parts that are incompatible to later years... this can be an obstacle for repairs.

My 1990 and 2000SE's are virtually identical, hence I doubt you would go wrong so long as your selection demonstrated a sucessful test ride. (so as to rule out obvious problems with the carb, or transmission shifting)

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

All bikes no matter age or mileage can and likely will have issues.

I have seen bikes with low mileage that needed a lot of work because the owner didn't use the bike and it sat unmaintained for a long time.

I have seen high mileages bikes that were maintained like clock work and everything was functioning properly. And the seller had documentation.

And I have seen everything in between.

You want to be familar with the operation of the motorcycle when getting info about it. Then buy the best example of it that you have money available. Expect to do some work.

>>>>>>Action

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
imported post

2 things about high mileage bikes .

1 You know they have been ridden a lot . Probably have had maint kept up to go the miles .

2 They have high mileage . That normally brings the price down . Lower price isnt always a bad thing . It means the money you saved on purchase can go towards a set of tires , brakes , timing belts , a full service so your good to go .

I am not sure of the exchange on km/miles but I can tell you my 94 has 189,000 miles . It runs fine .

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

buy older low-mileage bike (if you are lucky) because they are generally less complicated than newer ones. I have always figured basically, simpler is better.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

thanks again for the replies.Some great info. After reading these am starting to think nearer slighty older 1990 -1992, around €5000 here. then have abit of cash spare if need to spend on anything fairly quickly.
Love the look of 1800 and most peolpe seem to rave about them but can only dream at present.
Try and get out this weekend to start and view a few bikes.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

As others have said, a well maintained higher mileage wing is a great buy. I got mine with 108,000 or 173809 KM. It now has 185074km in just a few short enjoyable weeks. Right now, I would jump on that Wing and drive it anywhere in the USA. It has been very well maintained and I plan on keeping it that way. I see no reason I couldn't get 300,000 miles or 482803 Km out her, at least.... And I paid $4300 us (3315 euro)

Good luck in your search, I hope you find what you need.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Wish prices were the same here.
What a great price jobe05 for your bike.
Both the bike ads i've seen recently have between 160 000 km ( 100 000 miles )to 200 000km ( 120 000 miles ). Around € 5000 to € 7000 .
That's good to know you are happy with that milage and would trust the bike for a long distance ride.
Starting to feel abit more relaxed about the high milage, i keep reading they will do big milage if looked after.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Just seen another option.

Goldwing 1500 se 1999, black/grey 141 000km from a honda dealer. Dropped on right side at slow speed. Slight damage to right rear pannier, slight lower fairing, wing mirror and indicater and abit fairing round it.photos to show.

€ 3000 which for here is cheap!

no service or garantie. Not nearby to look at, either delivered or a very long trip.
Is it worth the hassle, could get a much newer bike but work, but cheap. Or is there more to it, perhaps hidden damage ? From a Honda dealer!
Any thoughts please.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

No thoughts on this one then ?

Tried to do link to advert as there are 7 or 8 photos, but couldn't work it out, not very computer minded.

Would love abit of advice for repairing, easy, difficult, not worth it etc.

If not too bad, price cheap for here. Means could get bike with breaking the bank and spend abit of money repairing.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

James S wrote:
Just seen another option.

Goldwing 1500 se 1999, black/grey 141 000km from a honda dealer. Dropped on right side at slow speed. Slight damage to right rear pannier, slight lower fairing, wing mirror and indicater and abit fairing round it.photos to show.

€ 3000 which for here is cheap!

no service or garantie. Not nearby to look at, either delivered or a very long trip.
Is it worth the hassle, could get a much newer bike but work, but cheap. Or is there more to it, perhaps hidden damage ? From a Honda dealer!
Any thoughts please.

You would have to post some photos of it, in order for anyone to provide a useful Estimate of it's value, given the damage.

That said, the wings are unique in their ability to withstand major damage from a tip-over... The front and rear crash guards do a pretty good job at protecting the important parts of the bike.

I would not suggest buying awing sight-unseen... Too many potential problems that you could only reveal by a test-ride. (ex: Clogged carbs, bad vacuum lines)

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
imported post

I fully agree with Alex's comments.

The damaged one could certainly be worth a look but it would be safer to have someone with you who is experienced with Wings and working on them.

I suspect the Honda dealer already knows how much the repairs will cost which does ask the question why he didn't do them and sell the bike at market value.

Pictures will help a lot on this site and, with luck, it could be just very marginal damage and the dealer just can't be bothered with it. But, as Alex says, other things besides the damage repair could soon add to the cost significantly.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

http://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/362189446.htm?ca=18_s

Think have managed to do it. Hope the link works with the photos.

Thoughts so far, i understand, what you can't see from acost point of view.

Plus did wonder why a dealer hasn't repaired it: either can't be bother, or more worrying knows there are further problems ? OR am i missing a possible bargain !

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
imported post

First thing I would say is 'great colour'. (Same as mine)

Looking at the pictures I would think it has scraped down the road at a bit of speed. The front crash bar has worn flat. It seems to need repair to a few panels which can be quite expensive but I would mainly be concerned first to check that the frame is still true. In your shoes I really would want to have it looked at carefully before deciding. The cost of the repair needs to be calculated plus any other work, eg. belts, servicing, tyres etc.

If you do decide to go ahead and start to try and source some bits, I can let you have a mirror with the internal trim piece just for the cost of shipping. They are black and will match. The mirror has a small scuff but nothing like the damage to the one on the bike.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Thank's John J for the offer of the wing mirror if go for bike. That's very kind of you.

I agree with you think it has fallen at abit of speed. Ad says fell at very slow speed !!! not sure about that, as you said crash bar worn flat.

What's a shame is bike is about 300 miles away, so not easy to just go and look.

Not sure still, have e-mailed garage with a few questions but no reply yet !

And yes great colour, really nice.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
imported post

As for damage, I have always been 'function over form' myself. I would gladly pay less for a cosmetic issued vehicle. Those issues can be addressed as the budget allows. Also, I tend to believe that the closer to the end of a production run you get, the potentially better the machine because they have worked out most of the issues by then. As 2000 was the last year of the 1500, a 1999 is an excellent option.
If you can confirm that the damage is cosmetic (no frame or hard metal issues) then why not? A bike that has slid as opposed to high-sided probably has limited real damage. With the weight of these bikes, it does not take long to grind down a crash bar. Besides-that is what they are for. As for not repairing? Even at dealer cost they have to buy the parts and pay a mechanic to install them. Because the paint will not match exactly due to fading the repair will be apparent (making it obvious there was an issue, which begs more questions...) or they have to repaint the entire bike. If the dollar amount of plastic is enough to 'total' the bike they can never sell it for a good price even though the damage was all cosmetic. Sometimes by leaving the damage as-is the buyer is better able to determine that it really was all cosmetic. Less headache for the seller, no issues with failing to disclose, less problems getting a fairer price.

Frankly - I would happily ride a cosmetically frankensteined bike with a wide smile than pay double for something pretty that may be identical mechanically.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
imported post

In looking at the photos I stand by my comments with the caveat that plastic is expensive. You can find used replacement parts on ebay, etc and plan a repaint for a time when you have the money or get tired of mismatched colors. The damage appears all slide related and that could have been done at under 50mph. Slow by many standards.
Use all this as possible leverage to get an even lower price.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.