Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am new to this forum and site and need some help and peace of mind. Recently I come across this gorgeous looking 2003 Goldwing orange in color and after closer look I just have hard time believing that it isn't new. No scratches no dings or dents shiny as an jewel. Only thing that stooped me from buying this beauty is millage. Is has 110 K on odometer!
I am an Yamaha guy and have no knowledge about Goldwing and Honda in general. I am looking for big cruiser for me and my wife and Goldwing seems to be way to go. Should I stay away from this bike? I know stories about Goldwins with 300K on odometer and do believe all that but what I can expect with this millage. Is it for same major work and what that would be. If I test drive what to look for or listen for!
Plesae advise !
Ed :praying:
Manchester NH

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum. There are many knowledgeable people on here to help you and I out. There are also many tools. You might want to sign in and check under "Quick Links" for the "Goldwings Buyers Guide". I have always liked that orange color. I would try to find the service history on it. Is the seller the original owner or how many miles did this owner own it for. What service was done and where. Properly taken care of you could have a very nice ride.

Ride Safe!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
do not be scared about the odometer... if the guy takes care of it from the outsite as you say, the inside has to be good. if the price was right and i had the money, i would not hesitate on buying it.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,240 Posts
I was born in Nashua...

QAnyway, that much mileage for its age shows consistent owner use. If he kept maintenance records do not let mileage scare you too much. My 1500 runs like new with over 100k miles, several folks here are over 200k miles.

·
Administrator
25,773 Posts
Don't be afraid of the mileage, I has 122K on my 08 when I totaled it and the only thing it ever needed besides normal maintenance was fork seals.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,240 Posts
A basic guide is a well used one has a slightly lower chance of carb issues as the fuel is not allowed to sit for long periods of time. If it looks good, runs good, and has been mechanically taken care off, than it is more than likely a decent gamble.
Ultra low miles is a great find, but storage history becomes a major issue. The tanks are not huge so it does not take too many months of non-use for the water suspended in the ethanol to potentially start an issue with gunk or rust.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:maximblack82
Most new members don't realize that the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum is much like an extended family and as such we like to get together on various occassions to renew old friendships and make new ones. For example, each year we put together a huge celebration called the North American Steve Saunders International Rally (NASSIR). Unfortunately you've just missed NASSIR 6 in Simcoe, Ontario however there is plenty of time to plan on attending NASSIR 7 which is being held in Fontana Dam, NC on July 8-10, 2014. If you want additional information please follow this lnk and it well take you to a dedicated information page for the event! Welcome aboard!!!

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/13-nassir-meet-n-greet-forum/444833-nassir-7-information.html

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Is this bike at a dealership, or private sale? With the mileage the bike has I would want to talk to the person that last owned it. Ckeck to see if the frame has been welded. Honda dealer should be able to look the frame number up and tell you what has been done at a Honda dealership. I would want to know when the air filter was last changed, and the valves bare minumum checked. When was last time brake and clutch fluid changed? If the last owner was on top of maintenence in these departments, I would say you have a good deal. A nice 2002 Gold Wing with 62,000 miles on it sold for $9,200 near me recently.

gumbyred

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
how much are they asking for it? there are lots of GL1800 out there for sale with low miles from 10500 to 13000 in the early 2000s

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uh thank you guys for this many replays and advice. Great thinking! I am definitely getting better sense what to look for. This bike is located in Naults Honda in Manchester NH and it was sold to guy from this dealer then he traded in so yes I will check out for maintenance history. You can see bike on theirs website, not great photos but you know what is all about. Asking price is 11k but I can work on that. What would be reasonable price for this millage and year.
Ed

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Maintainence and price are everything. With an excellent service history and at the right price, many people familiar with 'Wings would look favorably upon the bike you're describing. Like one post said, there are tons of early 1800s on the market with under 20k miles...so if you buy a high miler be sure it's deeply discounted.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I would want to know when the air filter was last changed, and the valves bare minumum checked. .

gumbyred

Agree with most of the items. Valves checked? I've owned mine for over 20 years and never checked the valves. My understanding is that they are hydraulic and don't need maintenance. My manual is silent to valve checks. Am I missing something?

Timing belt, suspension and brake systems would be my areas of focus and concern when buying an old GL1500. That mileage is not a big deal for these engines.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Agree with most of the items. Valves checked? I've owned mine for over 20 years and never checked the valves. My understanding is that they are hydraulic and don't need maintenance. My manual is silent to valve checks. Am I missing something?

Timing belt, suspension and brake systems would be my areas of focus and concern when buying an old GL1500. That mileage is not a big deal for these engines.
He is looking to buy an 1800

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
As others have said, with good maintenance records, the mileage is of little concern to ownership. However, leading in to your question about price, $11K is WAY too high for the mileage. As someone else pointed out, there are plenty available with much lower mileage, in about that same price range. You say this would be your first Goldwing, and that means there's potential for not liking it. In that situation, resale must be considered when making a purchase. In my experience selling higher mileage bikes, anything with over 50K is going to turn people off. I had one guy heavily interested in a GL1500 before learning it had 69K on it. He immediately walked away. Everybody here knows it's not a concern (my own bike has 101K), but the general, non-enthusiast public considering a motorcycle for a toy rather than a lifestyle still think EVERYTHING is a 1950 Harley that's been rebuilt three times and due for a fourth by 50K. With that in mind, see if there are maintenance records available and how much the dealer is willing to negotiate. I know some here will flame me, but if they won't come down to at least $8000, and preferably $7000, I'd keep looking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.