Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an opportunity to buy a '77 GL 1000 for $200. Did I mention that it is a fixer upper? This was given to the guy that I'm buying it from. He rebuilt the carbs, cleaned and sealed the gas tank, boiled out the radiator and put a new battery and brakes.

He started it up and it ran but it belched blue smoke I believe he said from the right cylinders. He tore down the head and checked the cylinder which he said looked fine. The bike has only 20,00 miles, complete, clean seat, paint and a vetter fairing.

I suspect that it is valve stem seals that are leaking. I would have done a compression test before tearing it down, but hey what the hey.

I already own an '81 1100, but have been kinda Jonesing over the little forebearers. What I'm concerned about beside stopping the smoke is some of the issues that this model year had. I've read that the wire wheels can be a problem and that it had issues with the suspension. I'm also curious if the kick starter is at all useful.

I was originally thinking more along the lines of a '78. This one is attractive due to its overall condition, price and the fact that it is more light weight than the succeeding models.

Would appreciate some insight into this particular year if any of you had owned one.

Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

For $200 bucks I wouldn't hesitate a second. It would be fun to restore the old beast, you'd learn a good bit doing it, once done it's a great bike to ride or you could make some money selling it. You could make some money just parting it out and selling parts on eBay. Grab it while you can, you can always get 2Cs out of it.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Chumi etc etc, ( can't cope with that many letters at this time on Saturday morning!!) I had 2 '77 1000s and they were both good to me generally. Had the primary drive chain go to it's limit of adjustment at 40k on the first and when I changed it I put an auto tentioner in which was good. Never had probs with spokes, just kept the road salt cleaned off in winter and polished lots. Had a starter motor problem too but did repair which worked fine.Rear mudgaurd did rot out a bit but I do live in England and did ride all year round in all weathers. Stuck a vetter fairing on both and it was wonderful, and panniers ( u call them saddlebags) which allowed me to start loading her up!! I wouldn't hold much store on anyones comments on tyres from those days, they have improved so much now, back then, on Yokohamas or Bridgestones the old girls twitched a bit, Avons were favoured, but plenty of guys here will advise.

If I could lay my hands on ahalf decent one at that sort of price I wouldn't hesitate.They are relatively easy to work on and plenty of guys here can advise.

Yes you could turn a buck or two on ebay, but you will probably fall in love too much!!

Pete

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

I picked up a beater bike for $150 and sold it when I couldnt afford to repair the Valves and other stuff wrong with it for $500!!

Picked up a toyota service truck with the proceeds. Now I have a great little bike hauler!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Randy , only problem is a Wing will not fit in that 6' bed, not even corner to corner, but you can always use a good work truck and them Toyotas are good for at least 300000 plus!

My friend had 450000 on his before he got rid of it !

As far as the bike , you can part it out on E bay and make $1500 to $2000 ! I'd Buy it !:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I have a '77 and love it! It's one of the fastest of the older Wings... the '75 to '77 had bigger carbs and lumpier cams. Properly tunedthey will accelerate like a raped-ape. They will do the 1/4-mile in about 12.5 seconds and 0-60mph in 3.5seconds. Darn good for a 600+ pound bike!

Once you get the carbs right it's a great bike. At first it seems like driving a truck, but with good tires (like Bridgestone S11's) and some practice you'll be diving into the corners with the best of them.

The following website has some great info on these early Wings.Great info on tuning the carbs to make them run better than stock. http://www.randakks.com/

In '78 they tamed them down with smaller carbs and less agressive cams. Honda had to doit to comply with stricter emissions limits. I think it's also when Honda realized that people were using the Goldwing for touring rather than as a big, fire-breathing "superbike."

I hope you don't part it out... too good a bike for that. Easiest and simplest Wing to work on too.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I won't part a bike out unless it has a hole the case or a bent frame. Each year there a fewer and fewer of these bikes on the road as evidence by all the cadavers on Ebay.

I just bought a couple of books on the history of Goldwings. They sort of document some of the problems the early wings had and how each successive generation tried to deal with the problems. I personally like the wire wheels and the shorter wheelbase is appealing to me too. Its seems more of a bike than the latter day behemoths.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

chumbiwumba wrote:
Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I won't part a bike out unless it has a hole the case or a bent frame. Each year there a fewer and fewer of these bikes on the road as evidence by all the cadavers on Ebay.

I just bought a couple of books on the history of Goldwings. They sort of document some of the problems the early wings had and how each successive generation tried to deal with the problems. I personally like the wire wheels and the shorter wheelbase is appealing to me too. Its seems more of a bike than the latter day behemoths.
I agree... I would never buy abehemoth with allthe furniture. To me amotorcycle is supposed to be naked and simple.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

Would love to find one like that around here for that kinda money.. i wouldnt be able to get my money out fast enuff...... got some ideas for a older wing.. would love to find a 75 76 or 77.. around here for 200 bucks.. even if it needed alot of work.. coz i would plan on doing alot to it even if it didnt need it.. lol

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Speaking of older Honda's. Are there any of the old 305 Honda Dreams around?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
One of my friends just found one here in Oregon. Great conditon.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

I had one when I was much younger. Seems like it was a 1964 could that be right????? I'd love to have another one. Man, 1964 those were the days...I think..don't really remember much about the 60s....love, peace, etc. Sorta hazy now that I think about it.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

My brothers first Big bike was a 305 Dream (27HP) Roman fenders ,cool !

I remember vividly going down to pick it up,it was like wining the lottery!

"Walnecks Classic" bike magazine has them for sell in almost every issue! Can find them on line!

"Road Runner Magazine" has an article on the 305 this month,nice white one !

I also liked the "305 Scrambler" alot in those days and it killed me when my friends who's parents would buy them one and I who had been riding longer couldn't afford to get one :thumpingmad:and it would be summer time and i'd hear them coming down the road with the pipes wide open , man,that was cool ! Then out of no where a 650 Triumph or BSA would come by like a fire Breathing Dragon and blow your mind! those were the days!:cooler:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

A 305 scrambler was the first real bike I ever rode... my best friend had one. Even back in the 70s hisbike was a real beater.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
I've seen a couple on eBay, they still show up now and then, one was fully restored and the other was in original fair to good condition.

http://vjmc.org/articles/challenge/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.