Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently purchased a 1989 1500. It had less than 2000 miles per year on her. The "gang" all has spent small fortunes to chrome every thing they can to individualize their bikes. Trouble is they all look alike now :baffled:. I like the look of my stock very unchromed bike. I was even thinking about painting to match the thingy right under the windshield. What are your thoughts?

Mike

PS - I pretty much am tapped out just buying the wing!

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Mike if you like it original then leave it that way,there are a few extras that make a bike more comfortable , backrest,handle bar grips,cb ,screen?ect but i cant think of one piece of safety chrome that actualy does any thing, and as you rightly say they usually end up looking the same.Spend all that would be chrome money on fuel and enjoy your wing to its ful potential. CHROME WONT GET YOU HOME. :waving::waving::waving::waving: Colin

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Colin has it right. Part of personalising a Wing is keeping it bog standard, it would be as personal as smothering it in chrome. I would only add what you like. Mine is pretty standard, only chrome is scuff plates on front of saddle bags, to protect them from passenger boots and rack on tour box to load her up more ( the bike, not the passenger!). I have seen Shreks bike and it is well sorted for comfortable touring, no frilly bits to polish unnecessarily. I will only be putting on bits of chrome to replace damaged or worn parts. My key accent is broken, so i will buy a chrome one, my intercom lead holders were very slack, so I replaced with chrome ones, mainly because they were cheaper.

I for one would admire your bike for its condition , rather than for the chrome. That said, I appreciate the tricked up ones too, especially if it isn't over the top. Paint certainly personalises a bike, making it unique, so if you are handy with the spray gun, go for it, but only if you want to.

Otherwise, save the $$$ for the essential maintenance, that wil keep you on the road enjoying the bike.

Pete

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Put on the bike what you like and what you can afford. It's your bike and personalising it means making it how you like it.

Members of this forum happily remove all the excess odds and sods that people hang on bikes whilst others are on a mission to hang as much on it as possible.

If finances are tight why waste them on flash bits that you can't see when you are riding anyway.

ANdrew

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Like my strategy to catch up with REDWING, double clicks = top poster

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Personally I don't like my bike looking like a carnival ride or two-wheeled parade float... just my preference.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
I recently purchased a 1989 1500. It had less than 2000 miles per year on her. The "gang" all has spent small fortunes to chrome every thing they can to individualize their bikes. Trouble is they all look alike now :baffled:. I like the look of my stock very unchromed bike. I was even thinking about painting to match the thingy right under the windshield. What are your thoughts?

Mike

My 99SE is basically stock after 6 years with only foot pegs.

I believe additions that make the bike comfortable should be first. Then items that might add some safety could be second. And items that help make the bike a little more functional as more storage pockets or extra gauges that monitor battery, alternator..etc...would be next.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

I bought my 89 that was a loaded showroom model and had lots of chrome rails, ect. I just got my 05 and am going to keep it almost stock, The biggest thing on the 89 was the time to clean it with all the chrome and rails that you couldn't get your finger under real good. The only extras on the new bike will be a trunk spoiler with light, trunk rack, rear speakers, fog lights, foot pegs and a back rest. Enjoy the bike your way.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

99REDWINGSE wrote:
Blimey mate, talk about minimalism!! for six years you only had footpegs!!:goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
99REDWINGSE wrote:
Blimey mate, talk about minimalism!! for six years you only had footpegs!!:goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete
I had a stock 1982 CBX for 12 years and only added foot pegs, a Corbin seat, and a Rifle windscreen

Then I had a Kaw 1300 for three years that was completely original, and stock and addded foot pegs.

Seems to me the engineers are 'spot on' and I dont need anything except gas, tires and oil. :)

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
Put on the bike what you like and what you can afford. It's your bike and personalising it means making it how you like it.

Members of this forum happily remove all the excess odds and sods that people hang on bikes whilst others are on a mission to hang as much on it as possible.

If finances are tight why waste them on flash bits that you can't see when you are riding anyway.

ANdrew
I think Andrewl hit the nail on the head!! Fix your bike so you are pleased when You look at it!! To hell what anybody else thinks. You are buying and you are riding.:grinner: :grinner: :grinner: :grinner:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

My '85 has a lot of flashy chrome bits, only because the PO had added them. I like them, but would not have bought most of them myself. Now that the bike is 20 years old, I have more chrome to keep clean and trying to rust.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

It is a personal choice. Put on only what you want to put on. If you don't want anything than go with nothing. It is your bike and only you can decide what you like and what you don't like.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

It is a personal choice. Put on only what you want to put on. If you don't want anything than go with nothing. It is your bike and only you can decide what you like and what you don't like.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
Oooops! :gunhead:

Don't know what happened there.
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?????? :baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:

Mike

Hell, go ahead and paint the bezel, if you don't like it later on it isn't hard to strip the paint off. Post us a picture if you do it, sounds interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

You know before I got Saorise, I had 0 Chrome machines. Now after living with the rolling jukebox for a bit I have learned that polishing my chrome is a welcome therapy and when it is sparkling it is plain BEAUTIFUL!

And I found to take a stiff plastic sheet, glue felt to it and it is perfect for applying polish to the tight areas and later a clean one buffs it out perfect. It also is a time when I wind up inspecting every inch of her closely. I even lay on my back and get the backside of it all and underneath with the pipes and mufflers as well. I know it has prevented problems because I keep my tools handy and tighten up anything that is loosening, inspect all hoses and wiring and tires very closely as I armour all them.

I say go for CHROME!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Don't forget the back of the license plate, a lot of lazy slobs forget to take the plate off and polish the back... disgusting!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.