Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

To continue riding or not!

2K views 35 replies 32 participants last post by  ChasW 
#1 ·
imported post

I am curious, are there other bikers out there thinking about not riding anymore because of all the other drivers?

I love riding but am getting very nervous about it. I find myself thinking about it a lot weather to ride or not to ride.

How many others are going through this delema? I was thinking about buy a newer bike but are getting second thoughts.

When I ride, I seem to be fine but when I sit in my chair thinking about, I get nervous.

I have a family, I am getting old. I have been in a termoil of thought weather to continue or not.

#2 ·
imported post

To ride or not to ride? A personal choice. My sister once sent me an e-mail about not wanting to go to the grave with a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways and say what a heck of a ride. My chioce is to ride. I hope yours will be also.:action::action::action::action::action:

#3 ·
imported post

Hello ChasW,

I think most of us worry about the safety issues involved in riding on two wheels. The main worry of course is the crazy 4-wheel drivers out there, who these days are more distracted from their driving than ever before by technology.

If some idiot isn't swerving into your lane because he or she is on the phone, they're doing it because they are "texting" while driving. Good Lord, most of these morons can't drive well without those distractions, let alone with them. Hopefully this practice will soon be made illegal despite the cell phone company lobbyists.

That said, my wife and I have decided to continue riding. I just turned 60 this past weekend. (I married a younger woman!) This decision doesn't mean that we aren't worried about the dangers on the road, rather it means that we stay contantly alert to any and all vehicles that are anywhere near us as we ride. We never exceed our capabilities as we ride, and we ride conservatively and according to existing conditions.

We rode for 30 years and took a 10 year break. Now we are back riding again and enjoying it even more. There will come a time when I physically can't ride, or when my faculties will be too diminished to ride safely. When that time comes, I'll quit.

In the mean time, we will continue to ride. We'll say our prayers asking for a safe journey each time we get on the bike, and put it in the Lord's hands.

Best regards and good luck with your decision.

#4 ·
imported post

That's a choice completely up to you. If you start getting doubts and fears while you're riding, I think it's time to look in other directions.

#6 ·
imported post

Wingman pretty much summed it up about drivers in 4 wheeled vehicles.....talking on the cell phone, texting, reading, putting on make-up etc...or eating. Most of us are guilty of some of these actions....me included!

I will ride until I can't ride because of a health or physical reason.

The way I see it, when my time comes to go meet my maker, it won't matter what I'm doing...riding a motorcycle or sitting on the pot!

#8 ·
imported post

I have those feeling now and then. Especially if I have been off the bike a lot like I have been lately due to medical issues. But like you, I think about it only when I'm not riding. Never when riding.

I commute in Atlanta, GA and Marietta, GA and many would consider that suicidal, although I have seen worse around Seattle and Kent WA.

There are a couple of things that keep coming back to me... the clock is ticking... and use it or lose it.

I have always lived like a short good life is better than a long horrible one and I don't want to get up to the pearly gates regretting what I was afraid to do.

To offset that I have taken steps to minimize the odds of that problem.

Headlight Modulator and bright running lights are number 1.

Rear wig wag helps but I don't know how much.

Picking where you will be and when... Commuting at specific times and days is predictable. Being in those same places where the non-normal worker patterns and people are there is a whole different and riskier problem.

I try not to ride anywhere during the drinking holidays. I can wait till the next weekend or before.

Choosing the highway is better sometimes than others as well.

Sitting at home waiting for being confined with an oxygen hose up my nose isn't an option for me right now. I'll take the risk to live a little now within reason. Otherwise... what the hell is there? :?:?:?

Just my personal take on it.

#9 ·
imported post

I have been a police officer for 26 years now. I have handled thousands of traffic accidents. Only a few of them were MC Accidents. I have been in a lot of car accidents as well. As a matter of fact in on accident my squad car was flipped over and I had to undergo emergency surgery to remove my ruptured spleen. I have only been in one MC accident. Nothing more than bruises and scrapes (Lucky). Accidents happen. Skills deteriate with age. You have to know your limitations. I only hope my skills stay with me to ride off into old age many years from now. Yeah riding is more dangerous than driving. If you want you can mitigate those dangers by hiding in the house with the windows and drapes closed. I prefer to have my head in the wind and to enjoy what ever time I have left.

#10 ·
imported post

ChasW

I can fully appreciate your thoughts on the subject of whether to continue to ride, or to stop.

A year ago January, I had my chance at talking to the manager of the Pearly Gates. God had other plans for me, and intercepted the devil.

Mardonna and I have talked about this subject quite a lot in recent months. Our decision is that we will both get back on a bike, and that we will do some touring by ourselves, or with some good friends.

We will avoid situations that would impose more risks than we want to accept, choose our routes and times to make our trips enjoyable.

Living to be 110, sucking on an oxygen hose, is not my idea of a good life.

Riding in the face of the wind until I can no longer get a leg over the saddle is.

So, for me, I am going to replace my bike just as soon as I get permission from my legal team to do so.

#11 ·
imported post

ChasW, I've gottenthat idea about every2-3 years over the past 40+ years.

I don't worry much about being killed, but more about becoming aparaplegic or quadriplegic (way more likely).

My last choice was to keep riding for a couple years. It'll be time to decide again soon enough. It could go either way.

However, I do/can stay away from traffic, though.

Traffic is only part of it, there is still blowouts, critters, etc. :?

#12 ·
imported post

I am sixty-seven years old.........

Some of the richest moments of my life have been on the saddle of a motorcycle....

My mother is in an Alzheimer's ward, and has taught me that a long, long life is perhaps not the blessing it is made out to be......

If I had young children depending upon me, I might think differently -- although I rode plenty when I did have a young child depending upon me.....

By and large, the benefits I get from riding far, far outweigh the risks; and I not only believe this, I live it -- otherwise I wouldn't havepurchased another bike (two actually) last August after totalling my 1500 Wing......

The choice is a no brainer for me. I will do what makes life rich for me regardless of any possible consequences. The consequences of an unfulfilled life are far, far worse thanany thatcould befall me on the bike.

You'll have to make your own choices on this one. No one else can do it for you.

#14 ·
imported post

Well said Cousin Jack. I have been in 2 accidents that I have been thrown off my bike and I got right back on. Luckily for me and my bikes neither sustained heavy damage. I have though about quitting but just don't want to even with all the deer around here darting out everywhere.

#15 ·
imported post

Well, only you can decide - for you.

For me - I have said it before...

I took up riding for good later in life at 42-43 in 2002. I now have about 250,000 miles in since then. I have lived many great moments in my life - my entire life. But since I began motorcycling, though I selfishly wish I live on riding forever, I can go peacefully knowing I have truly lived - seeing what I can of creation on two wheels - I will not give that up easily if I ever do.

And that includes being the downed target of a demented road raged cager attack that cost me some serious skin, left me hospitalized fighting infection for 8 days and losing a summer's worth of riding.

I have some physical issues that may prevent me from riding forever - I'm under no illusions. Serious arthritis in of all places - my tailbone - are beginning to give me hints of the future. I hope to hold out for something like this...for it to be street legal here. Either this one - or some other one - hopefully US made if well-done....

http://www.carver-worldwide.com/Home/Index.asp?nc=1

http://www.3wheelers.com/carver1.html

#16 ·
imported post

It is a tough decision. But if you are constantly worried about getting hit on a bike it tends to be a self fulfilling event. Sometime just taking a season or two off can help get your head straight. Good luck

#17 ·
imported post

Last summer I bought my first bike at the age of 56, my 93 Aspencade, as a new rider I had no idea what a beast I chose as a first bike. The first week it tipped over on me at a stop and crushed my big toe. Many questions, doubts and fears haunted my mind while I sat out from work last summer with a full leg cast. After all the doubting myself I listened to the advice and encouragement of the folks on this board and purchased a smaller more manageable bike. I found a Magna VF750 and gained confidence in my riding ability and also started taking out my wing early on weekend mornings for pleasant invigorating rides. Damn glad I remounted the steed, I love riding a motorcycle and God I hope I always will!

#18 ·
imported post

The thought of crashing crosses my mind every now and then, one thing I have going for me is that I live in a pretty serene area, I'll take a little ride down to the lakes country to the east of us, or a ride in eastern North Dakota farming area to the west, either one is pretty un-cluttered with traffic, especially the ND side, won't see a car for many miles, gotta keep eyes peeled for those darn deer though. I remember when I got stationed at Luke AFB in Glendale, AZ, I heard from many that getting a motorcycle was risky, I was young, a big city was right to the east of us(Phoenix) was probably a good Idea I didn't get one, but, when I got re-assigned to Grand Forks AFB that's when I got my first street bike. I gotta believe the biggest risk factor is your immediate surroundings, provided your doing everything right(not boozing, speeding, on cell phone,etc...) I get sort of nervous when I'm in heavy traffic, especially the 5pm going home traffic, people are just nuts. When I go for a ride, I always head for the wide open, un-cluttered country-side, set the cruise @50mph, feet up on hiway boards, but not too comfy, damn deer!!!!

#19 ·
imported post

I have often told my friends and relatives that I would stop riding if I was ever in a near death or serious injury situation on a motorcycle and came away unscathed. I am not sure if I will be true to that statement if it ever happens but for now, that is my mindset on the issue.

#20 ·
imported post

Sounds like normal thoughts of someone maturing and starting to think about things they would've never thought twice about in there younger days.
How old are ya ChasW ?

#21 ·
imported post

Oof. How does one advise anyone on that issue? My brother in law was in a very bad bike accident several years ago. A car pulled right out in front of him without even looking. I bought his smacked up bike and fixed it up. He said he'd never ride again. Now he's got a Harley Road King. I don't know.

One bit of advice from posters above that I agree with, if you are feeling too concerned while riding, you might find other avenues for your recreation. Riding should be a joy. When it quits being that for me, I will move on.

Recently, I increased my life insurance and put together a living will so my wife won't try keep me alive with machines if my head gets smacked in and from there, I try to ride alert and with confidence and I really love it. I understand my risks and I accept them. Something tells me I'll be riding when the bike is too big for my old frail body to hold up.

#23 ·
imported post

When it is time for you to stop riding, you will know it. My wife and I love riding. She can't go on long trips due to some physical limitations but we really like going out for half day trips. I sometimes think she likes climbing on the back of the Wing more than I like riding. We have had close calls (usually with cars.) We have had conversations about selling the bike, but we agree that right now, it is still time to ride. I hope that she can keep getting on the bike for a long time.

#24 ·
imported post

I look at my bike (trike) every day and wonder what my next excuse will be to get on it. I actually don't need any I just go. I have never had any other thought but to ride as much as I can and when I can. Now, my wife, she doesn't see it the same way as I do, she still calls it a vehicle. But she never stops me from riding, if she doesn't want to go that is OK too with both of us. I'm also 67, I really don't think I will ever have that feeling, it will come all of a sudden when it does and it will not be because I didn't want to.

Your decision is yours alone. As you said when you are on the bike you don't have those thoughts butif you do have them while riding, that means you are being distracted, and that is not good. Ride safe, ride long:action:

#25 ·
imported post

I don't believe in the "when its your time to go" theory. The concept of having limited number of heartbeats and then you leave this world regardless of your actions is absurd. Chance favors the prepared mind. Many people die as a result of accidents. Accidents are preventable in almost every case. The "time is up" deal is archaic at best.

#26 ·
imported post

Yes, I do think about not riding after close calls with cagers. I feel fortunate to have only been clocked once by a cager a couple years back. I commute into the inner city about 15 miles each way daily on a bike. As long as there is no snow on the street I'm riding. Been doing that for the last 18 years. Last week, Wed Thur and Fri I had close calls with cagers. I was pretty disgusted and shook up by the time Friday night rolled around. I didn't ride Saturday. Went out for a few hour ride in the country Sunday with a couple of buddys. It was instant recharge.

I guess you would have to be suicidal to not think about quitting from time to time. I read some of the inspiring responses to your post and other stories on this board and I hope I never change my idea of what a scooter store really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.