Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have 95 aspy with 53000 .new tires today i got 21000 out of old tires with, tread left.. wife wants newer 1800 for the heated seats. should i get a 1800 or buy compufire and heated suits..

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

You will not get 21,000 miles on a set of tires on an 1800, if that helps.

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

With regular tires, about 8,000mi. Car tire rear and rear sport bike tire on the front, 12 to 14,000.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
With regular tires, about 8,000mi. Car tire rear and rear sport bike tire on the front, 12 to 14,000.
In your opinion Dave why do the 1800's eat tires? Just curious.

JD

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Hey Kads, I can't comment on the 1800 tire life, yet. Just made the move from 1500 to 1800 this afternoon.

Up until noon today I had resisted taking a test ride on an 1800, but with pressure from my dear wife, I went out ona 2010 GL1800that had 4.2km (yes, that's just a couple of miles) and about an hour later we were headed to the insurance agency to transfer the title - and our goverment insurance agency applied a 33% discount on my motorcycle insurance, so it turned out to be quite the day.

The 1800 has more going for it than just the heated seats.I'm sure your wife will appreciate, as mine does, that thepassenger seat is like a sofa :) Less than 300km today, but this thing is comfortable and Honda has added a good measure of "fun factor" through the excellent handling and balance. In my opinion this machine is a big improvement over the 1500 and worth the anxiety I had about spending that much money on a new bike. And this is just day 1 :smiler:, and I'm not concerned about the possibility of going through a couple of sets of tires a year (but ask me again when it's time to write the cheque).

OK, gotta run and edit my profile/signature :waving:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,197 Posts
imported post

You sure are slow about fixing that new signature. It has been four minutes already..... :badgrin:

What 'cha waiting for :)

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Sorry, no excuse. Oh wait, I was daydreaming about my next ride :raspberry:

AZgl1500 wrote:
You sure are slow about fixing that new signature. It has been four minutes already..... :badgrin:

What 'cha waiting for :)

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Greg and Carol wrote:
---- In my opinion this machine is a big improvement over the 1500 and worth the anxiety I had about spending that much money on a new bike.----

Oh thank's alot Greg. I really didn't need to hear that. I went from a 1200 to my 1500 about 2 1/2 months ago & this 1500 is fun to ride (except for alot of wind). I don't need to be thinking of an 1800 just yet.:lash:

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

DriverRider wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
In your opinion Dave why do the 1800's eat tires? Just curious.

JD
Pure old torque for the rear and the way it carves corners eats the front.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

I got 15,000 out of the stock Bridgestones, most of it two up. I wouldn't consider it to be eating tires.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Sorry Carl.

We drove by the local Honda dealer yesterday and he had a consignment 2008 White 1800 sitting beside a new 2010 Black 1800, and I think it must have been more than the voice from the NAVI system that was talking to me and caused us to make a right turn off 18th street :). Oh, now I see it more clearly, an 1800 on 18th street - I never stood a chance.

I had the 1998 GL1500SE for only 14 months. Wonderful bike, absolutely no problems or concerns --and no practical reason to "upgrade".In fact I only recently put on a Cee bailey windshield and progressive fork springs.

Today it seemed that the wind effect from passing trucks was a bit less than on the 1500, but my experience is too limited to count my opinion as being reliable.

galaxyhunter wrote:

Oh thank's alot Greg. I really didn't need to hear that. I went from a 1200 to my 1500 about 2 1/2 months ago & this 1500 is fun to ride (except for alot of wind). I don't need to be thinking of an 1800 just yet.:lash:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

all this devil talk about new bikes dangged computers its the devil i tell ya

i like my non-computerized 1100 lmao:badgrin::badgrin::eyeball::action:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

To the OP, if you have a 1500 with only 53000 miles on it, there is no way I would give it up. You still have at least another 150,000 miles left in it, maybe more. Do whatever it takes besides trading to make your wife happy. I have a 1200, but have ridden both the 1500 and 1800, I like the 1500 better, I felt it was more comfortable. But the really big deal here for me would be money. The difference between what you would get out of tour 1500, compared to what it would cost for a really nice 1800 is staggering. If the 1500 is running good, and not causing any problems at 53,000 miles, it is a keeper. I would absolutely LOVE to have your bike, and doubt I would ever be able to wear it out, or want for anything more. But on the other hand, I am divorced. Fortunately both my grown daughters love to ride.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

thanks for the input.. still undecided.. like greg and carol said ,nothing wrong with my 1500,and we like it,but the 1800 has a diffrent feel at lower speeds

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I love my 1800. I couldn't say about the 1500 though since my only other bike was a '80 Suzuki GS1000. In my situation though, it was a huge upgrade. :) As far as the tires go, the first set I really have no idea how many miles were on it but it would guess around 12-14k. I put at lest 10k miles on them myself. The bridgestones that I have now have about 9500 on them and they are still above the wear bars. I've heard people getting as many as 25k miles on a CT though. Can't say for sure on this. :) Oh, on a side note, I would love to have a 1500 sitting next to my 1800.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I got 22,000 miles out of the rear E3 and about 12,000 on the front E3 on my 1500, It looks like I'll get somewhere around 9500-10,000 on my rear 'Stone 704 and about the same on the front 709. I don't ride the 1800 much differently than I did on my 1500 though I might twist the throttle a bit more out of the curves... out of an intersection... maybe some other places too.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Sorry Red, I guess I was way out of line:bow:

THEBIGRED1 wrote:
Congrats on that new 1800 friend. But shame on you for not posting some photo's of it.

RED

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.