Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at H4 headlights and it seems that all the hits are for some flavor of LED. OSRAM still makes good incandescents but I haven't found any Hi/Lo bulbs from them. Any recommendations for a good LED headlight brighter than the stock 55/60 bulb?

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
550 Posts
From what I've read, the brighter bulbs (SilverStar?) have life spans rated in only months. But, I don't have experience with them, I put the Electrical Connections LEDs in, and would never go back.

If you're talking about a GL1800, the bulbs themselves aren't Hi/Lo, they are only single filament, and the same exact style of bulb goes in the low beam position and the high beam position, for a total of four.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
For an 1100 get an automotive sealed beam, H6024 if I remember correctly. Fits right in the bucket and much better than the old stock light.

Reactions: hitecluddite

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,152 Posts
when I had my two 1500s, I used the SilverStar bulbs.
it was my daily transportation at the time, and six months was about as long as they would last.
so, with my round trip to work and back of 40 miles, times 20 days a month times 6, that is expensive....

·
Registered
201 Posts
My 99 1500 came with LED lights already changed over. They are really white but do not shoot out as far as a Halogen.

The low beam is pretty good, but high beam is no better. I can adjust all I want, it does not go far.

I think the reflector system is made for the Halogen system.

I found over the years any expensive head light does not last as long as the standard.

David

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
My 99 1500 came with LED lights already changed over. They are really white but do not shoot out as far as a Halogen.

The low beam is pretty good, but high beam is no better. I can adjust all I want, it does not go far.

I think the reflector system is made for the Halogen system.

I found over the years any expensive head light does not last as long as the standard.

David
David, You are correct.

Just because you can change bulbs. Doesn't mean the Headlight reflector is designed for your bulb choice.

Many people confuse "Looking at how bright a bulb is"
When staring at them 5 feet away.

The truth of the matter is "How well do they light up the road to see the road?"

Most scatter the light (Flood light) because the bulb wasn't designed for the reflector. (I don't care if Owl's are in the trees or not)

My Silverstar Ultra's are 3 years old, aggressive rider. 60,000 plus miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dave, looking at them on Fleabay there are two types, one looks to have two large emitters, one for hi and one for low. there also looks to be side running lights.
The other has 13 smaller LED's Which do you have or do you have something else?

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you get Silver Stars, don't get the top of the line ones. Those burn out quick. Get the medium grade ones. I have about 30K miles on them now and get plenty of bright white light.

I just stick with normal bulbs. I get plenty of light at night and the reflectors are made for them. If you really want LED's, then Electrical Connection would be what I would get. The cheap Amazon and E Bay knockoffs are just that. Cheap knockoffs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I will look at the box when I get home.

I tried them in the tail lights too. Still the same problem. Reflectors are made for a single filament. With the sylvania LED 1157, there is a dark spot in the center of the light.
I then tried the 1157 with a LOT of LEDs. They changed the color of the tail light to more of a pink or orange than red. Went back to filament bulbs.

I put the two kinds of LED bulbs in the back of the bike. My wife and I stood way back and the standard bulbs looked best, both with tail lights and brake lights. I like the LEDs because they come on instantly instead of slowly like a filament,

I have rear LEDS in my truck and trailers.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
Thanks Dave, looking at them on Fleabay there are two types, one looks to have two large emitters, one for hi and one for low. there also looks to be side running lights.
The other has 13 smaller LED's Which do you have or do you have something else?
I wasn't referring to LEDs, just a plain old round halogen sealed beam headlight. I have LEDs in my 1800 & they are great but I wouldn't put one on an 1100. You need to use as much of the available charge as you can to keep the regulator from getting too hot.

Reactions: hitecluddite

·
Registered
79 Posts
the best u can get

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought the front LED on the 1500 CycleMax and bought the rear blubs from Superbright... used amber in amber lens and red in red lens... they light up and are bright front and back in short you will be seen on the road

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
In my SE I always ran Silverstars for headlights and LED's in the market/cornering housings. Some LED headlamps are good but need adjusting. Bright is one thing, down the road throw is another oftentimes.
My Silverstars always lasted for quite a while.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I will look at the box when I get home.

I tried them in the tail lights too. Still the same problem. Reflectors are made for a single filament. With the sylvania LED 1157, there is a dark spot in the center of the light.
I then tried the 1157 with a LOT of LEDs. They changed the color of the tail light to more of a pink or orange than red. Went back to filament bulbs.

I put the two kinds of LED bulbs in the back of the bike. My wife and I stood way back and the standard bulbs looked best, both with tail lights and brake lights. I like the LEDs because they come on instantly instead of slowly like a filament,

I have rear LEDS in my truck and trailers.
When I tried LEDs on my trailer I could hardly see it. I got some of my wife's tin foil cut it the size of the inside of the tail light housing. I fitted it inside the housing, careful to fit it under the bulb socket. Walahh! They are bright now!!!!

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
When I tried LEDs on my trailer I could hardly see it. I got some of my wife's tin foil cut it the size of the inside of the tail light housing. I fitted it inside the housing, careful to fit it under the bulb socket. Walahh! They are bright now!!!!
That is going to be the problem with the OP putting an LED or any bulb in his old housing. The reflector has probably seen better days, why I recommended a sealed beam headlight unit.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input guys! I found some off-road halogens and a ceramic socket....Hopefully they will do the job

1 - 20 of 22 Posts