Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you get Silver Stars, don't get the top of the line ones. Those burn out quick. Get the medium grade ones. I have about 30K miles on them now and get plenty of bright white light.

I just stick with normal bulbs. I get plenty of light at night and the reflectors are made for them. If you really want LED's, then Electrical Connection would be what I would get. The cheap Amazon and E Bay knockoffs are just that. Cheap knockoffs.
That must explain the lifespan of the newer Silver Stars on uncle's bike. I'll just finish installing the shocks from 4Wheelonline onto the ATV and I'll check his bike. He got expensive ones from Silver Stars which are bright enough for him but only last for about 5 months.

·
Patrick Brandon
18 Posts
Looking at H4 headlights and it seems that all the hits are for some flavor of LED. OSRAM still makes good incandescents but I haven't found any Hi/Lo bulbs from them. Any recommendations for a good LED headlight brighter than the stock 55/60 bulb?
This LED has 6000LM on low, an 6000LM on high. It's just switched to a different set of LEDs on the bulb when you turn on high beams. PATHFINDERLED H4 LED HEADLIGHT FOR HARLEY AND OTHER MOTORCYCLES - PLUG N PLAY.

I put this on my '87 Interstate, and I have to say, after trying a few other LED headlights, this is best by far. It is equivalent to around a 400 watt incandescent bulb. AND the H4F3-3-B uses about a third of the power of an incandescent bulb. I'll never use anything other than LED headlight bulbs, especially the quick burn out Silver Star. I have all LED bulbs on my bike except for the instrument panel. (Had it install electronic flashers for the blinking LEDs) I've learned the the color of the bulb has to be the same as the lens or they look funny. Go LED and you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
83 GL1100
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That is going to be the problem with the OP putting an LED or any bulb in his old housing. The reflector has probably seen better days, why I recommended a sealed beam headlight unit.
I know it's an old thread but after putting some miles on the bike and performing some tests I think I'm going to follow Dave's advice and get a new reflector housing. What do you think about this one Dave?

"SYLVANIA H6024 XtraVision Halogen Sealed Beam Headlight (7"" Round) PAR56 | eBay

·
Administrator
28,933 Posts

·
Administrator
28,933 Posts
21 - 26 of 26 Posts