Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought a different motorcycle; can't say upgraded because my 81 GL1100 std is a great bike too. I found a 98 Black Valkyrie with 17k miles right in my neighborhood that I couldn't pass up.

I would like to keep both bikes and hotrod the GL1100, but time and $$ are always at a premium. I'm faced with a dilemma now for what to do with the GL1100 with 91k miles and would appreciate some opinions from others that might have been down this road. I've put quite a bit of time and money into new parts and upgrades on the bike that I probably can't get back based on the higher mileage. I'm curious if I do sell the bike, it might be worth more parting it out over running? The bike runs fine and does have clear title, but understand it's real value is only what somebody is willing to pay for it.

Anybody have experience parting out a bike and what you got for all the parts?
Don't mean to offend anyone if this is a crime against the GL-Gods, just trying to be make a fiscally sound decision.

Thanks
Jim
98 Valkyrie
81 GL1100

New (to me) Bike! :D

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hard decision to make, if no one parted out the older bikes there wouldn't be any parts for the ones that are running. On the other hand it's a real shame to part out a good running 'Wing. If it were me I'd try to sell it for a reasonable price and if I couldn't get it sold then I'd part it.

True, you might (or might not) get more parting it out but you'll feel better passing your old machine on to someone else to enjoy the Goldwing experience.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

personally Ithink a 81 standard would bring more complete than parted out. JB

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

a few years back I sold an 85 1200A (running) to a fellow who then parted it out....

anyway.... my 2c a running bike should be sold to ride! and 91K is just barely broken in... I bet you could find some buyers for a good 1100 standard on www.nakedgoldwings.com

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

I watched a person on ebay's auctions some monthes ago. He had an early 80's goldwing that he parted out. I made a list of the parts he had for sale from it. After his auctions were over with I added up the amount he made from selling the parts. I then went and got an average of what that year wing was selling for complete. What a difference! If I remember right about 1400 dollars was what the complete bike was worth but he raked in almost 3 grand selling it a piece at a time. And some of the major parts were never listed so he had some of it left, like engine etc....

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Once again the knowledge base on this great forum never ceases to amaze me!

The other consideration is I know every wart on the bike. In 26 years PO's have stripped bolts, got creative with repairs and who knows what else might be there that I'm not even aware of or have forgotten. Another reason on the side of selling some brand new parts to other owners to keep their machines on the road.

Also, in many areas the riding season is slowing down and many folks are getting ready for winter wrenching projects.

I think I'm talking myself into "a parting we will go" - I have think a little more and put pencil to paper before I decide.

Thanks Again Guys!
Jim
98 Valkyrie
81 GL1100 w/Vetter http://picasaweb.google.com/sharptelco/GL1100

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

Why part it? Give the joy of a Goldwing to someone new. This summer I bought an 85 Aspencade with 89000 miles on it. It was well taken care of and I did not hesitate on the mileage. Now has over 92000 on it. This is my first Goldwing, great experience.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
imported post

I've always thought that if my 87 Wing bit the dust, I'd part it out. But to part a running bike just kinda gives me the willies, lol. I think those Wing Gods would not be pleased!:p MHO. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do! You'll do what's right for you.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

retiredintime wrote:
I watched a person on ebay's auctions some monthes ago. He had an early 80's goldwing that he parted out. I made a list of the parts he had for sale from it. After his auctions were over with I added up the amount he made from selling the parts. I then went and got an average of what that year wing was selling for complete. What a difference! If I remember right about 1400 dollars was what the complete bike was worth but he raked in almost 3 grand selling it a piece at a time. And some of the major parts were never listed so he had some of it left, like engine etc....
Thanks,retiredintime, I was always wondering how much those guys made parting out a bike. I would also guess that the close to $3000 figure that you came up with did not include the profit the seller made off of shipping.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

retiredintime wrote:
I watched a person on ebay's auctions some monthes ago. ...he raked in almost 3 grand selling it a piece at a time. And some of the major parts were never listed so he had some of it left, like engine etc....
I think that the majority of the value in parting out a wing is in the tupperware and accessories.... a naked wing will come up short in that department... the parts that don't break or last a long time (like the engine) don't bring much... keep that in mind with your decision... Jim

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
retiredintime wrote:
I watched a person on ebay's auctions some monthes ago. ...he raked in almost 3 grand selling it a piece at a time. And some of the major parts were never listed so he had some of it left, like engine etc....
. the parts that don't break or last a long time (like the engine) don't bring much...
Dunno bout that, retired- I've seen several engines on EBay go for $700 or better...but you are so right about the accessories and such. When I had my Wing painted I removed all of the Honda, interstate, and eagle emblems (just cause I like the cleaner look.) I sold them all on EBay and got around $80.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.