Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had a 76 and 78 1000s before I traded up to a 1100 Interstate. I seem to be regretting it. I just don't feel comfortable on the Interstae. I'm considering stripping of the fairing and going semi nekkid. I would keep the saddlebags and use the removable feature of the trunk to use it only when I need the capacity. Or should I look to trade for a gl1000? Just had the 1100 painted, new seals and brakes, carbs redone so I should be able to find someone to trade :)

Don

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

It's your bike do what you like. Since this one already runs good I'd say strip it as much as you like.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's a minor pain to convert a faired 1100 to a naked or Standard but worth it if you'd rather have it that way. You'll need to get front turn signals and a headlight with mounting brackets. Universal turn signals are easy to find online. A universal 7" head light and mounting brackets are easier to find than original Honda headlight and mounting ears. The bike is definitely more sporty handling without the fairing. There will be some rewiring necessary because without the fairing and the junction box on the fork behind the fork weight there's no place to put all the connectors. I found that I could cut away a lot of the wiring once the fairing was off and stuff the remaining connectors into the headlight bucket. The bike looks great with only the saddlebags on the back end.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
It's a minor pain to convert a faired 1100 to a naked or Standard but worth it if you'd rather have it that way. You'll need to get front turn signals and a headlight with mounting brackets. Universal turn signals are easy to find online. A universal 7" head light and mounting brackets are easier to find than original Honda headlight and mounting ears. The bike is definitely more sporty handling without the fairing. There will be some rewiring necessary because without the fairing and the junction box on the fork behind the fork weight there's no place to put all the connectors. I found that I could cut away a lot of the wiring once the fairing was off and stuff the remaining connectors into the headlight bucket. The bike looks great with only the saddlebags on the back end.
Thats where it all belong is in the headlight bucket.. Mine was a standard and converted to dressed.. YOU DONT HAVE TO CUT WIRES... !!!!!

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

it depends on how long you intend to hang on to it.

People who buy the interstate 1100 tend to want the fairing and all the bits.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I know how you feel. I have had both naked and full dressed 1100 Interstates and I preferred the naked 1100s too.:thumbsup:

Since you already have the 1100 I would recommend that you take the fairing off and customize the front end to your liking. There are plenty of aftermarket accessories that you can use oor you can fabricatesome stuff the only limit is your imagination.
At least that way you can keep riding until you have all your pieces that your gonna need and minimize your motorcycle down time.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for all the replies. I really liked my 1000s and was a fool to get rid of them. My buddy got a 1200 and I lusted after the whole fairing/radio/windshield deal so I went for the Interstate. Would a simple windshiel on a nakid bike affect the handling much? or is it the weight of the fairing?

Don

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

A simple windshield is Ok w/o the weights..you can even get the ones that are easy to take off and put on..

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My 1980 Standard had a small Plexifairing on it. I think it was one of their smallest ones but it was enough to take most of the wind pressure off the rider at speed. It didn't seem to harm the handling of the bike at all, it was really too small to cause much air resistance. Sure made riding on the freeway more comfortable without taking away anything from the naked bike look and feel. I was a real fool to sell that bike.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/Classic.shtml

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

The naked Goldwings and the full dress ones are 2 completely different bikes. The naked ones look and feel like a standard bike. That fairing makes a huge difference in the feel and handling, but many people looking for a Goldwing wouldn't want anything but a fully dressed one, so if you decide to convert it, I would keep all the parts. Yes you could sell them on eBay, but if they are in good shape, it would cost you a lot more to get replacements later if you should want to. IMO, the full dress 1100 is the best looking of all the Goldwings.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Your bike, do what you want.. If keeping it for a long while, "cut and paste" all you want

However, if your intention is to someday sell it, I'd recommend (IMO)keeping all the bits and pieces.. and not do anything that is not reversible... a bike that does not have the original stuff (whether standard or Interstate) will have not havesignificant value (it is already not much) or buyer appeal... but some people will buy anything, so that is not an absolute either..

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
imported post

+1

"IMO, the full dress 1100 is the best looking of all the Goldwings."

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
imported post

I hope i don't feel like that.
I just sold my 78

I have an 83 bagger in the process of a motor swap and an 80 resto.

neither running at the moment.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

and when i read the thread my mind was in the gutter i admit im a dirty man

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

In the summer I like a bike without the fairing, 'cause it's hot. But, in the Spring and the Fall, you can't beat a 'Wing with the fairing; extends the riding season. Plus, you can carry more crap on the long rides.

As your lawyer I advice you to get another 'Wing that is "standard" and keep the one with the fairing too.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I'd say;
Option 1: ask/look around for a trade on a well looked after 1000.
Option 2: if no 1000's around strip yours but keep everthing to go back to standard to sell in future.

Happy days.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Ihave both and like both it all depends on my mood . And yes its a pain in the butt finding all the parts .

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Well, I for one would like to have one stripped, but I also wouldn't get rid of my 1800. :) If you are really thinking about stripping her, then go for it, but keep the parts in case you want to sell her later. You could always just upgrade to a 1800 :? and keep that one as a stripped down around town bike. I think the 1100's look good naked.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

After a few years, I converted my 82, 1100 to a standard. I did have to look around for front turn signals, head light, ect, but I did not have any trouble with parts. I kept everything I took off, because I knew I would put it all back. Well, It all is still up in the attic somewhere. I LOVE it as a standard. I do not think I will ever change it back, I probably would not remember where it all came off. It really gets looks at meets.................

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.