Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been around this and other forums for quite some time now. I have a pet peeve I'd like to express. That is, when you ask for and receive advice, please have the courtesy to come back to the board and let us know what the outcome has been. It's annoying to spend some time helping someone out only to never find out the results, good or bad. If the advice helps, GREAT! If not why not.

Pay attention to how old a thread has become. If it was started 5 years ago, the OP may not even be around anymore and the point is moot. Start a new thread, please.

Also, don't jump into an existing thread with a problem of your own. First of all, use the search function. Yes, I know, it can be a bit frustrating but give it a whirl. If you can't find what you need, start a new thread in the appropriate forum. You'll get better responses in general because sometimes people won't read all the way through a thread becausewe do get a lot of repetitive answers. If the question has been answered, it's not necessary for a lot of"I agree, me too's". After awhile, it just dilutes the thread.

Finally, please use the spell checker. Prolly still isn't a word.:readit:;)

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

:smiler::cheesygrin::blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Watts a spell chekcer?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Great stuff Hobie; I've probably been guilty of not responding to great advice given, so I'm gonna pay attention to that.
I've been a active member of a couple of forums that have gone through this issue of (use the search function), and while I think that is good, I also think that the main purpose of the forum is to create friendship around a common passion for these great old bikes. That being said, I don't mind people asking the same questions; it's just a good way for someone to make a connection with others . . . and maybe bring some spark to an otherwise boring day.
Chuck

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,156 Posts
imported post

aye aye capt'n, but I still don't have a klue as whut a speel chequer aire...

In all good fun, I don't mind too much on repeat questions.
What I would really like to see though, is a well thought out question that has some documentation provided along with it.

ie, did you check the gas in the tank when the engine died? :badgrin:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

1. Prolly 869 up, 138 down

Shortened version of "probably". Typically used in online conversations, although REALLY lazy people have started using it in verbal conversations as well...
I'm feeling lazy so I prolly won't bother doing homework.
by Sarah Feb 4, 2004 share this add a video
2. prolly 357 up, 125 down

Web-slang abbreviation of "probably". Used extensively in forums and instant messsaging worldwide.
Red: I'll prolly cream my shorts when they release Halo 2.
Blue: You're such a cockbite.
by SticKboy Apr 14, 2004 share this add a video
3. prolly 306 up, 82 down

Literary colloquialism for "probably", most likely first used in print in John Kennedy Toole's Confederacy of Dunces, (1980), in the speech of one of the book's characters, the mother of the protagonist, Ignatius J. Reilly. The use of the word is meant to reflect the speech typical of white working-class residents of New Orleans, Louisiana.
That prolly is the reason he left in the first place.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Unfortunately, prolly the inclusion of the one line about spelling and grammatical correctness has served only to detract from the main body of text that was trying to direct attention to other issues I have with new members and others in derivingfull utilization of the profound abundance of knowledge readily at hand.:readit:

I just sayin' yo. I be totally down wit all dat.

Amazing actually.:waving:

It's all fun! Believe me, if we all sat down and had a visit, we'd be friends.

I believe in proper execution of my elocution, have a spectacular vernacular, and try to never commit the atrocity of verbosity.:cheesygrin::ROFL::kissing::cheeky1:

Hobie...off to a nice slumber and awake afresh in the morn. (Boy what a load of crap I peddle!):badgrin::barfer::alco::banana::toast::waving:

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

Oh come on…no hijacking treads? What, do you want take all the fun out of the forum? Very serious we are.

I agree that searching for info, if you can find it, is one of the best ways to get info. But things change as well as valuable information. Most of the time starting a new thread is the best way to get current and accurate information and so what if it’s been covered. Besides, searching usually leads to more frustration than valuable information.

I agree with do speel cheks. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

kill switch

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I dough knot no, butt prolly ur kweschun well bee ansured on the surrch airrea.

(there certainly are a lot of smart alecs on this forum, huh Hobie ?):badgrin:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

OK I'll bit were is the speel check??? every one knows I need it!!!!!!I have never found one...HELP please

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

People will be people, and that fact will never change.

Unless, of course, we evolve into something (anything actually) better:cheeky1:

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

Hobie1, the knew bored polise.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

<---FNG here but I do have to agree with Hobie's points though. It would be nice if threads would automaticlly lock after X amount of time. The 'nice bike' post at the end of a 3 year old thread is annoying.

Prolly is also one of my pet peeves.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I appreciate the positive responses, even the humorous, tongue in cheek replies.

However.......posted earlier today....

There are times when I wish I could get a "do over". This has turned into one. Almost 98% of my original post was had nothing to do with spelling. "Finally, please use the spell checker. Prolly still isn't a word.":readit:;)

That line was thrown in as an afterthought. Although thereare many posts that could use it, I'm not anal about spell checking.

Frustrated yes, as now the original content has been pretty much tossed to the side. I pretty much did nothing more than start a thread about proper spelling.:sadguy:

I grow weary. :sleepy:

Hobie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.