Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

People born before 1946 were called The Silent generation.
People born between 1946 and 1964 are called The Baby Boomers.
People born between 1965 and 1979 are called Generation X.
And people born between 1980 and 2010 are called Generation Y.
Why do we call the last group Generation Y?
Y should I get a job?
Y should I leave home and find my own place?
Y should I get a car when I can borrow yours?
Y should I clean my room?
Y should I wash and iron my own clothes?
Y should I buy any food?












 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
973 Posts
imported post

This morning I was going grocery shopping and my daughter gave me a grocery list. I informed her that it would be about $30 and I needed the money before I left. She got really upset about it. I informed her that while she was interning for the summer, she was free to live at our house and free to eat any food in the refrigerator. However, if she gives me a list, it will be bought with her money. I thought that I had deeply insulted her or something the way she acted.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
501 Posts
imported post

Permisive parents or parent created the Y generation.

Tuff love is the only way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
688 Posts
imported post

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,735 Posts
imported post

norsseman wrote:
Permisive parents or parent created the Y generation.

Tuff love is the only way.
Yup, Oh, and technically I believe it's 1990 - present, not 1980 - present. I might be an exception to the rule though so I can't say for sure (moved out on my own after highschool at 17)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,038 Posts
imported post

That will the Y generation do when there parents all die.............
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
That will the Y generation do when there parents all die.............
Continue to live off the Government!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,735 Posts
imported post

:ROFL: Ya, My older son and his girlfriend are living off of her SSI. She's never worked a day in her life and He's only had 2 jobs since he was 16 that lasted a month each. He's 20 now.:shock: Talk about lazy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
149 Posts
imported post

And that is why I hate most of my generation. I go nuts if I don't have a job and money in my account. I am back with my parents but only because I just moved back from NC where I left a failed attempt to find a job and a failed relationship.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,409 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
That will the Y generation do when there parents all die.............
Blame Bush... It's the thing to do right :? :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,735 Posts
imported post

Sure, I mean the latest and greatest thing for us to do is to blame someone else for our mistakes right? :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

You can tell them no but if you swat them you are a child molester. You can't teach them about God or the 10 commandments. Yell at them when they are wrong and you are dammaging their unique personalities. So what do we haveKids that kill the teachers because they gave them a bad grade, that they deserved. Kids that plan to put Bombs in a school to make a statement. Whose mother saw nothing wrong with her son or his behavior. Kids with guns, Knives, Using their cars as weapons. Whostay home and play Video games untill they blame the rest of the world because they don't know how to relate to other people.What is wrong with this picture....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,765 Posts
imported post

PurplePirate wrote:
You can tell them no but if you swat them you are a child molester. You can't teach them about God or the 10 commandments. Yell at them when they are wrong and you are dammaging their unique personalities. So what do we haveKids that kill the teachers because they gave them a bad grade, that they deserved. Kids that plan to put Bombs in a school to make a statement. Whose mother saw nothing wrong with her son or his behavior. Kids with guns, Knives, Using their cars as weapons. Whostay home and play Video games untill they blame the rest of the world because they don't know how to relate to other people.What is wrong with this picture....
Sounds about normal to me
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,735 Posts
imported post

Yup. I had one of my nephew's staying at my house for 2 months and every time he wasn't able to do whatever he wanted he would throw a fit and say "I hate you guys I'm going home" or more hateful things. I just said "that's fine because we love you" and I'd give him a hug. :ROFL: he hated that. He also got upset when we didn't do "something fun" every day he was here. He wanted to go to six flags or a water park every day. I just said "do you have $55 every day to use for that?" or "when did you win the lotto?" Most of the time I actually got yelled at by my wife's mom. :shock:
 

·
Old School Guru
Joined
·
7,887 Posts
imported post

pcfix_3 wrote:
Yup. I had one of my nephew's staying at my house for 2 months and every time he wasn't able to do whatever he wanted he would throw a fit and say "I hate you guys I'm going home" or more hateful things. I just said "that's fine because we love you" and I'd give him a hug. :ROFL: he hated that. He also got upset when we didn't do "something fun" every day he was here. He wanted to go to six flags or a water park every day. I just said "do you have $55 every day to use for that?" or "when did you win the lotto?" Most of the time I actually got yelled at by my wife's mom. :shock:
I would had told him "This is not Burger King, and No you can't have it your way". I raised three sons and all three are respectful, hard working and self dependent. It's easy, award them when they are doing right, punish them when they are doing wrong, (and I don't mean a time out), prove to them that if you tell them there is a concenqence for what they do wrong, make sure you back up what you say and mean it. Make sure that they know you love them, but also make sure they know who's the boss. Be honest most of all. It's not easy being a parent, and fortunatelyI had a good woman around whenI was off overseas playing Army. I tried to instill a work ethic, honesty, and honor in them, and even thoughI can't take credit for all of it, I think they turned out pretty good.:smiler:

Gene:action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,735 Posts
imported post

LOL, I didn't think of that one, but I said basically the same to him. One of the major problems that he had was that I wouldn't let him sit in front of a TV all day. I forced him to go out and go for a walk or play in the yard. It was funny the first time I said to go out side and play. He gave me the deer in the headlights look like umm, outside? what's that? :ROFL:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,038 Posts
imported post

It's not my fault

No respect

No work ethics

About sums up the new generation.............................
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,822 Posts
imported post


"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint"

Hesiod, 8th century BC




"What is happening to our young
people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They
ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions.
Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

Plato, 5th-4th century BC
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
552 Posts
imported post

Which generation is to blame for the failure of its successors?

Having kids and being parents are not the same thing.

I selected a woman I thought would be a good wife and mother, instead of a girl I could get drunk and "mess around with". Having great kids is not an accident and takes hard work. If you look in the right places you will find some great members of gen Y.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top