Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1500 is California model but now it lives in Texas,been having some issues with gas smell,put some dye in fuel and there’s no signs of fuel leaking,found the vent tube ( I already did away with the canister) loose on the fuel cap,removed the whole tube and the piece that attaches it to the cap and plugged the hole in the cap where the vent line attached.
Does the tank NEED a vent or fine without it,I’m thinking that the pressure that builds while riding won’t put any pressure on the floats since the fuel vacuum shutoff will block that pressure from the carb system, ANY IDEAS?

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
Yes you need a vent. Get a regular cap or put a vent hose on yours going down under the bike.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
How does your 1500 run? When the gas cap vent on my old `98 Gold Wing got plugged up it would act like it was shutting down till I took cap off, and replaced it. I soaked the gas cap in Seafoam over night, and blew it out with compressed air the next day. All was well after that.
gumbyred

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does your 1500 run? When the gas cap vent on my old `98 Gold Wing got plugged up it would act like it was shutting down till I took cap off, and replaced it. I soaked the gas cap in Seafoam over night, and blew it out with compressed air the next day. All was well after that.
gumbyred
Runs AWSOME,has a whoosh when removing the cap.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Probably not a whoosh from positive pressure, probably a whoosh from vacuum.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Remove the radiator mesh grill and look past the steering stem tube (night time best) @ bet your float bowl gaskets are leaking just like my 91 having never been touched.

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
found the vent tube ( I already did away with the canister) loose on the fuel cap, removed the whole tube and the piece that attaches it to the cap and plugged the hole in the cap where the vent line attached
Fuel pump pumps fuel out of the tank, volume is reduced, no vent, creates a vacuum. You NEED a VENT. Put the vent tube connector & hose back on, run the hose under the bike if need be.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Might be the vacuum fuel shut off valve. Check to see that it holds a vacuum like it should.
gumbyred

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CWN,you say the carb bowls are visiable from that location,I put some dye in the tank but can’t see any evidence of leakage

tamathumper,seems to blow out,can be felt on my face.?

crystal pilot,I already destroyed the pieces.

gumyred,is a device needed to check the vacuum.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Some people here use a Mity Vac to check their vacuum fuel shut off valve. Do you have signs of gas leaking on the tray under valve?
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
5,970 Posts
It is normal to have either vacuum or pressure in the tank. When the fuel is heated by the hot engine the heat will rise and heat the fuel making it expand and create pressure. At a certain point the pressure will open the valve on the cap and let the excess pressure escape. The pressure would be highest on a warm day after a hot shutdown. The heat from the engine would rise and there is no air to blow the heat away as the bike is not moving. This pressure is actually good as it raises the boiling point (vapor pressure) of the gas and prevents vapor lock.
As the bike sits and cools the opposite is true. The fuel will cool and contract. Eventually the fuel will be under vacuum. Did you ever take a longer ride on a hot day and shut down the engine for an hour or so then have trouble starting it? Kind of runs bad for a few seconds? It is possible the fuel cooled enough that the engine vapor locked. It only happens when all the conditions are just right. Hot engine, hot weather. Long trip and sat for just the right amount of time.
The purpose of the vapor canister was to trap those fuel vapors and burn them up later next time the engine was running. Without the canister it is pretty normal to have some gas fumes when you shutdown. The best you an do is be sure the cap seals and do what Dave said. Send the fumes down the hose so hopefully by the time they reach your nose they are diluted with so much air you can't smell them.
Keep in mind your bike (and mine but not Dave's),was not designed to run 10% Ethanol. The Ethanol just aggravates the problem by lowering the temp at which the fuel will boil. I smell my bike and just figure it is pretty much the nature of the beast. You are lucky to live near sea level. Denver might have more issues than we do. :)

EDIT: Check oout this link:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gumbyred,no there’s no gas in that tray,the dye I put in the fuel would have appeared if it leaked there,.

Redwing,thanks for your explanation,the motor never is difficult to fire after a hot ride,I tossed the line and the top part that attached to the cap so I can’t put it back on,now I’m thinking I should have left the canister on.
I rode it today,the motor is AWSOME,only has 96,000 miles and performs flawlessly except the gas smell,starts instantly,idles real quick after starting,I keep some kind of injector cleaner most of the time.thanks

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do have a mighty vac for brakes

·
Registered
643 Posts
Denver (and other high-altitude areas) somewhat counters the altitude in the fuel octane, Regular here is 85 instead of 87 octane, 85 behaves as 87 at altitude and the extra 2 pts not needed. All grades here are 2 octane pts lower than what is sold at low altitude.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts