Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I get tired of people insulting my intelligence because I sometimes choose not to wear a helmet. I have been a college professor. I am a Double E engineer and I am flown all over the world to solve problems for some of the top scientists in the field of battery chemistry. So my choice not to wear a helmet is not because I am to stupid to realize that my head is softer then concrete. I have been riding since I passed the motorcycle safety course 28 years ago. I have had some spills, some more serious then others. I have luckily never hit my head hard. I have also sledded and skied down mountains, raced dirt bikes, and I use to love free form cliff climbing. For me it is all about living, not quality but quality. When the weather is permitting I love to feel the wind in what hair is left on my head. I sometimes like to ride with no radio so that I can hear the world around me. With out a helmet my peripheral vision is greater, and my ability to smell and hear increases my awareness. I can remember several times in which I avoided an accident because I heard the squall of brakes and smelled rubber around me. When the weather is not cooperative then I am glad that I have my helmet so I don't have to take the cage. I hope to be able to give my great grand kids rides when I am in my 80's, but if I bust my head wide open tomorrow I will have lived a fantastic life living free my own way. I would not relish living like my cousin who wore his helmet and survived to sit in a wheel chair for the last 15 years with no use of anything beneath his shoulders. That may sound preferable to many but not me. What is a safe and acceptable risk should be up to the individual. It is my life to live and like it or not everybody dies. Don't worry about me spending your tax money on Medicare I pay my insurance and I carry a living will. According to my mother anybody that rides 2 wheels instead of 4 is taking unnecessary risk. I have heard it suggested that maybe we should all wear helmets in our cars too. What about convertibles, should those be outlawed too? Ok enough with my diatribe just had to vent a little. Sorry if I offended anybody.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I agree 100% with you!!!:clapper::clapper: If I remember correct my mother gave birth to me and SHE is the only one to tell me what I can and cannot do, now if I listen to her is another story:goofygrin:

The main problem is people felling to need to try to protect everyone from themselves...:baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Which "Battery" shouldI buy ?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
wingdawg101 wrote:

One thats not dead:cool:
You're not a "Top Scientist in Battery Chemistry"!:baffled:and I need a "Battery"!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
But my answer is still a valid one:waving:
Now if you gave advise on "Corn" I'd listen!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

If you use a corn burner to run a generator you could charge up the battery:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
If you use a corn burner to run a generator you could charge up the battery:cool:
Leave it to an "Iowa" guy to come up with that one!

AndI listened! :clapper:

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
wingdawg101 wrote:

One thats not dead:cool:
I buy the cheapest one at Wal-mart. I ain't allowed to be biased as I work for all the battery companies. Besides wal-mart is where I found my wife and she's a keeper.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Did ya get her for a good price!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Did ya get her for a good price!:baffled:
Bet you he is still paying for her!!

By the way, sooner or later I will be down there in Oklahoma, maybe even next week. I will look you up! And like you, I may on may not be wearing a helmet. I do though always carry one and if I have a number of calls to make, I wear the full face.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Well, the way I see it, your an adult, your over 21, and it's your head, so it's your choice. I personally won't ride without one, I've seen the results with and without so I think if that is what you want, it is your choice, and it is not any of my bussiness. I haven't ever noticed where a well fitting helmet affected my peripheral vision, nor affected my hearing. I had to wear a helmet when bullets were flying in the military, when I crewed helecopters, I had to wear a helmet, and when I drove racing cars I had to wear a helmet. So it is only natural that I wear one when riding a motorcycle. We learn as children that we can always come up with an excuse when we don't want to do something, as we get older, it gets easier to make excuses. But I always respect the view of others, and if they can convince themselves of something and live with it, then so can I. I've also noticed that since most convertables have 4 wheels and are not prone to falling over nor propeling their passengers due to seat belts and vehicle design, unless you drive like your in Nascar, I don't think it is really any purpose for a helmet. But any way, like I said, it's your head, not mine.:D And since I'm going bald, what iswind blowing thrumyhair going to do for me?:doh:

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Well, the way I see it, your an adult, your over 21, and it's your head, so it's your choice. I personally won't ride without one, I've seen the results with and without so I think if that is what you want, it is your choice, and it is not any of my bussiness. I haven't ever noticed where a well fitting helmet affected my peripheral vision, nor affected my hearing. I had to wear a helmet when bullets were flying in the military, when I crewed helecopters, I had to wear a helmet, and when I drove racing cars I had to wear a helmet. So it is only natural that I wear one when riding a motorcycle. We learn as children that we can always come up with an excuse when we don't want to do something, as we get older, it gets easier to make excuses. But I always respect the view of others, and if they can convince themselves of something and live with it, then so can I. I've also noticed that since most convertables have 4 wheels and are not prone to falling over nor propeling their passengers due to seat belts and vehicle design, unless you drive like your in Nascar, I don't think it is really any purpose for a helmet. But any way, like I said, it's your head, not mine.:D And since I'm going bald, what is hair blowing thru the wind going to do for me?:doh:

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:
Peripheral vision is impaired in three quarters and fulls, there is no denying this. Plus fulls restrict neck rotation.

I too have seen the results, as a street paramedic for a number of years. But then I have also seen belted cage folk D.O.S. And as well I have had my share of tumbles helmetted and not.

I believe what it really comes down to is each of us arrives at his own decision based on his own experience, preferences and judgement. And simply put, we should respect that and not even bother to say, "It's your head"..(.Actually it might not be, I have heard of many guys to go looking for a little head, so maybe he found a little head and is using it?)

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Yea but why did the "KamaKazi" pilots wear Helmets???!!!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
wingdawg101 wrote:
Yea but why did the "KamaKazi" pilots wear Helmets???!!!:baffled:

Soup bowls for the sharks:grinner:
And wear your boots as well... I like the ones with the extra leather for the shuifter when you are not riding a floorboard machine. Like these, notice the shifter pads.......

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Did you get those from "Elton John" ?!:baffled:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Did you get those from "Elton John" ?!:baffled:
Yes they do look very "gay" don't they.:D