Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm 42 years old currently. I just bought my first wing. I love every second I'm on it. I've had shadows, intruders, and a HD at one point. I always wanted a wing so I found a deal and bought one. So my question is.....why are wings considered an "old man's bike". How has such a great machine been labeled as such. My coworker can't understand why I bought it. However, now that I own one I can't see me owning anything else. At what point and age did you guys get on your first wing? Did you ever leave and comeback to a wing?

·
Administrator
27,362 Posts
I think the hardly riders started that though you see plenty of old men on hardlys. I bought my first wing from a guy that got it when he was 18. But then I am an old man and I challenge anyone on their young man's bike to follow me on my choice of road.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think they got that moniker because when you see parades and drill teams, they almost always are older guys. Hell, who else can afford them? I lusted for a GW from the day they hit the streets. I was in my late teens, I think. In 1977, I bought my first street bike, a 1975 Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo. ( I still have it) At that time, it was also a larger, old man's bike. I was 17. You could get them with all of the fairings, but mine did not have them. I rode all over hell and back, many trips over 200 miles. In 2008 <?> I bought my first Wing, a 1978 POS. I needed to see if I would ride it every day AND if my briefcase would fit the trunk. (I own NAPA stores) It fit the bill, so in 2010, I bought a 2003 Wing. I rode the hell out of that, too! I just upgraded to a 2021.

Have you seen the bumper sticker "Instant bikers suck"? I think a lot of loud-pipe-bikers are just that. I can't stand riding with a loud pipe next to me. I want to hear and feel my bike while listening to whatever music is piped thru my helmet. I don't need tattoos (OK if you have one), I don't need chaps, I don't need my wallet chained to me, and I don't need a Harley logo on my truck and every piece of clothing I own! If that's for you, have at it. Its just not why I ride.

My first date with who is now my wife was on my Suzuki. Her parents weren't impressed. 30 days later we rode from SE PA to Canada. She still loves to ride with me, 40 years later. We did a 200-miler last weekend. Old man's bike? So what!

Randy

·
Registered
801 Posts
Stop and think for a minute. Do you really care what other people think?

Enjoy your new to you bike.

Rayjoe
Agree wholeheartedly. It's not about what you ride or where you are going, it's the journey. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL 1800
36 Posts
I bought my first GW ('83 Interstate) when I was about 25. I'm 59 now, so I'm growing into the demographic. ;)

I must admit, I perceived it to be an old man's bike, but after a short test ride at highway speed, I didn't want to ride anything else. Granted, my only comparison was my '78 Yamaha 650, with no faring. I really had to fight against the wind at higher speeds on that bike. The only down side was that my girlfriend would cling to me like glue on the Yamaha, but she would just kind of lay back and chill on the GW.

I have received comments from a certain crowd about not riding a Harley, but I don't recall anyone else claiming that I ride an old man's bike. As others have said, it comes down to what you enjoy. Congratulations on your first GW, and have fun!

Edit to add: I do have a related story about a guy I knew who was constantly getting razzed by his friends for not riding a Harley, so he finally bought one. Money was tight, so he bought one of the less expensive models. It was a low rider style that women tend to buy, because it's easier for them to handle. So the first feedback he got from his buddies was, "You bought a c*nt bike!" You just can't please some people, and I think it's best not to try. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought about getting a Wing for quite a while. It took three Harleys and another Honda before I finally got one. Couldn't be happier with my decision. Not a young man, but wish I had gotten one much earlier.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok so I'm 42 years old currently. I just bought my first wing. I love every second I'm on it. I've had shadows, intruders, and a HD at one point. I always wanted a wing so I found a deal and bought one. So my question is.....why are wings considered an "old man's bike". How has such a great machine been labeled as such. My coworker can't understand why I bought it. However, now that I own one I can't see me owning anything else. At what point and age did you guys get on your first wing? Did you ever leave and comeback to a wing?
If we listened to everybody's opinion, we'd all be riding Harleys. Its the bike everyone thinks they should own

Reactions: Sniper60

·
Registered
34 Posts
By the way, I also have "an old man's truck" because it has a cap on the bed. No one poke's fun when I load it to the gills (full 8', front to back, floor to ceiling) for vacations AND they ask me to take their stuff! I also can tell you have many bottles of whiskey fit on the GW on out-of-state booze runs! The '21 holds ever more! The Harley guys don't poke fun when they ask me to bring some for them....

·
Toolcraft4100
417 Posts
I was in my early 40's when I bought my first Goldwing, a '77. It's kind of a long story but I started riding kinda late in life and never was much of a dare-devil or thrill seeker. The low center of gravity that comes from the boxer engine and the gas tank under the seat really appeal to me. I'm on my second Goldwing, a '91. I've ridden other bikes from time to time and I just feel more secure on the Goldwing. Now I'm looking for an 1800.

·
Administrator
27,362 Posts
I was in my early 40's when I bought my first Goldwing, a '77. It's kind of a long story but I started riding kinda late in life and never was much of a dare-devil or thrill seeker.
You do know the 1000s were made to be muscle bikes, not tourers?

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Just say to them ' IF I HAVE TO TELL YOU YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND, GET ONE OF YOUR OWN !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds as though he is jealous that you have one of the best bikes on the market and he doesn't.
Funny you say that. We call him JD Boozehound. He can't drive which you can figure by his nickname why. He takes the heal toe express everyday!

I don't care what he thinks. This "old man's bike" is everything I ever wanted. My wife got on the back for the first time in a long time too. When we stopped and the smile on both our faces is telling I made the right choice.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts