Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like others, I have always liked the look of a wing. I turned 50 this year and I got myself a 2013 F6b for my birthday. Love it. It is true though. When I mentioned I was getting a wing, a bunch of my buddies (both riders and non-riders) asked why I wanted an old mans bike. Doesn't bother me though. It's what I know and feel that is important and I know this is an awesome bike and feel I don't want to ride anything else....

·
Registered
801 Posts
Nice 1500. Great touring bikes, and good for day/weekend, and just a few hours to clear out the cobwebs. The Mrs might like a set of arm rests. Enjoy

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I too loved the look of the Wings back then, but just never thought about actually buying one.

But, due to a couple of coworkers getting Wings, I test rode a new 1984 1200 Aspencade almost on my 33rd birthday. Within a mile, I said, I have to get one of these. Bought one still in the crate, just like the test bike.

I was then riding with older guys and having a great time. Now, I too am the older guy and still the same great feeling on that very 1200A and a 2010 GL.

I have never had anyone put my Wings down, but it would not matter if they did. A lot of nice comments over the years on both though.

If we listened to others, we would not be on a Harley or any motorcycle, as we are nut cases to most that are driving next to us.

Live to “stand out, not fit in.”

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Ok so I'm 42 years old currently. I just bought my first wing. I love every second I'm on it. I've had shadows, intruders, and a HD at one point. I always wanted a wing so I found a deal and bought one. So my question is.....why are wings considered an "old man's bike". How has such a great machine been labeled as such. My coworker can't understand why I bought it. However, now that I own one I can't see me owning anything else. At what point and age did you guys get on your first wing? Did you ever leave and comeback to a wing?
I was 39 years old when I bought my 1986 GL1200i,in 1986. I am almost 74 now and still have that same Goldwing, not planning on getting another bike, this one has 130,000 miles on it and still going strong. Of course I have slowed down a little over the years but still riding with the Patriot Guard Riders to vet funerals , I served in the Army in Vietnam , so that is my main mission these days, no more cross country rides. Just not in the budget anymore.

Still looks pretty good for a 35 year old Goldwing. LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok so I'm 42 years old currently. I just bought my first wing. I love every second I'm on it. I've had shadows, intruders, and a HD at one point. I always wanted a wing so I found a deal and bought one. So my question is.....why are wings considered an "old man's bike". How has such a great machine been labeled as such. My coworker can't understand why I bought it. However, now that I own one I can't see me owning anything else. At what point and age did you guys get on your first wing? Did you ever leave and comeback to a wing?
Hi there,
I got my first wing in 1979 - a 1975 GL1000. That was a fantastic tourer but low slung as I had issues getting around corners, found the issue was speed! So I slowed down a bit and still survive today ;o)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I bought my first and only Wing in 1976, a brand new 1976 GL1000 LTD which I still own and I am now a fairly old man so maybe that’s part of it :)
I also have a ‘73 350Four. My 1st bike was a 1961 CB72 Hawk after which I had a 1970 CB750 Four for several years until I saw the GL1000 and fell for it. My wife and I rode it from the Boston area to Golden CO with the GWOA and a year or 2 later with the same club to Toronto Canada with my 8-yr old son on the back (he preferred to ride in the car with my wife on the way back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just tell them what I used to tell them when I was 30 years old with my first Wing. If I only live to be 31 "I am an Old Man"!

Why shouldn't you be able to enjoy your ride, long haul, cold, rain, etc. and still be able to enjoy your destination when you get there?

Just keep the lane splitting to a minimum! :)

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Ive had 2 wings, first one was a 78 I bought from a friend my age at the time, 25. Rode it for years. Restored it after a bad accident. Was beautiful. Wife and then daughter rode with me. The 2nd wing (76) I found in a junkyard and spent 7 months restoring, parting out the 78 to pay for the resto. The 76 is acfually a frankenbike. I liked the exhaust, wheels (comstar) on the 78 better than the spokes so I converted swingarm brakes and forks to fit the 76. Rode it for about 6 years. Ran like a bat out of hell and could take on most other bikes due to all the Randakks tweaks I incorporated when I completely tore down the carbs and rebuilt them.
About 7 years ago I ran across an 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade and have ridden it since.
About 2 years ago I slowly started a complete overhaul of the 76 Wing. New custom 2 tone paint, all new electronics (starter, solenoid, dyna coils and ignition, kill switch, battery tender brand lithium battery (damn thing weighs about 1.5 pounds!) all new LED turns and headlamp. Just finishing re-rebuilding the carbs (and she will be faster than before). Soon as I get the carbs in she will be fired up for the first time in 7 years, and she doesnt even have 30,000 miles on her. Ill ride her the rest of the summer, will be doing a couple pulls at the dragstrip, then she will be given to my son. Hes 25 and has been bugging me to restore it since he learned how to ride a bike on it at 17.
Goldwings are basically bullet proof. Now, I never rode one distance, prolly did 300 miles in one ride but did ride the Cade to Tenn. and back, 1,850 miles in 6 days and 6 states. (The Cavalcade, for those not familiar, was supposed to be Suzukis answer to the Goldwing. Super comfortable, but getting real hard to find parts for. Look it up, beautiful bike.
Sorry for the long wind. It does not matter what others say about our Wings, we know they are solid bikes with great lineage. Why else would they still be made today??
Enjoy her, be safe, keep the rubber down.

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
I was 39 years old when I bought my 1986 GL1200i,in 1986. I am almost 74 now and still have that same Goldwing, not planning on getting another bike, this one has 130,000 miles on it and still going strong. Of course I have slowed down a little over the years but still riding with the Patriot Guard Riders to vet funerals , I served in the Army in Vietnam , so that is my main mission these days, no more cross country rides. Just not in the budget anymore.
View attachment 326170
Still looks pretty good for a 35 year old Goldwing. LOL
Wow, 3500 miles a year, I used to do that in a month. My 2010 only has 103,000 on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think they got that moniker because when you see parades and drill teams, they almost always are older guys. Hell, who else can afford them? I lusted for a GW from the day they hit the streets. I was in my late teens, I think. In 1977, I bought my first street bike, a 1975 Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo. ( I still have it) At that time, it was also a larger, old man's bike. I was 17. You could get them with all of the fairings, but mine did not have them. I rode all over hell and back, many trips over 200 miles. In 2008 <?> I bought my first Wing, a 1978 POS. I needed to see if I would ride it every day AND if my briefcase would fit the trunk. (I own NAPA stores) It fit the bill, so in 2010, I bought a 2003 Wing. I rode the hell out of that, too! I just upgraded to a 2021.

Have you seen the bumper sticker "Instant bikers suck"? I think a lot of loud-pipe-bikers are just that. I can't stand riding with a loud pipe next to me. I want to hear and feel my bike while listening to whatever music is piped thru my helmet. I don't need tattoos (OK if you have one), I don't need chaps, I don't need my wallet chained to me, and I don't need a Harley logo on my truck and every piece of clothing I own! If that's for you, have at it. Its just not why I ride.

My first date with who is now my wife was on my Suzuki. Her parents weren't impressed. 30 days later we rode from SE PA to Canada. She still loves to ride with me, 40 years later. We did a 200-miler last weekend. Old man's bike? So what!

Randy
There are so many things that people want from scooters. Respect,status, kinship…. I want to get from A to B.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I didn’t make the decision to buy a Goldwing….my wife did. My friend's friend ran up on a great deal on a ‘94 SE, but his wife’s medical issues wouldn’t allow her to ride more than an hour at a time. I live on a busy highway, so he brought it over to help sell the bike. He told us to jump on it and ride it occasionally while it was here. After the 2nd long afternoon ride, my wife made the statement “if I’m gonna be riding with you for more than an hour….this is what I’m gonna be riding on. The rest was history.

Reactions: msgoodwrench

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
My first bike was a new 84(?) Silverwing (before they changed them to be a scooter) with a Vetter 5 fairing when I was 20. I road that for three years and 50K miles before I sold it and bought a new 86 Interstate in 1987. I kept that one for 30 years and traded it in two years ago for a 92 Aspencade. Sure my friends made fun of my "old man's bike" when we road, but I had the last laugh when I could get off the bike and walk around after a 200 mile trip!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I bought my '79 in '89 when I was 29 years young; my teenage co-workers ribbed me & my "grandpa" bike...I smiled & replied "you know that grandpas have smarter brains & bigger testicles than us young punks"...before I knew it, they were helping me rebuild the thing from top to bottom! :giggle:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So a funny thing happened today:cool:

Went outside at the shop and there was JD Boozehound, and I caught him taking a picture of my "old man's bike" 📸

What a guy, asked him if he wanted a ride on the back! He had a few choice words and buggered off. I razed him all day!

My "old man's bike" felt even better riding home.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Wow, 3500 miles a year, I used to do that in a month. My 2010 only has 103,000 on it.
Most of that was the first 15 years or so, I have slowed down a lot since then and the budget is a lot smaller these days. Those trips from coast to coast are a thing of the past anymore. LOL Now it is just a full tank of gas for a round trip. Then back home for the night. Funny when you have the time, you don't have the money. I have been riding motorcycle since I was 21 years old, always a Honda, this is number 7 and the last bike I will own.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 40th Anniversary 1800
51 Posts
I'm 55, and on my 4th wing. '77, 98, 06 and now 15. Been officially riding for 40 yrs...yup, a mid-life thing.

Two things to reply with. One is a demo (if you confident in your riding); offer to "lead" them on a ride. Only once have I been "beat", and that was by a traffic-cop-in-training on a hyabusa. I did not expect to win the race, but I did win respect. I often "join" crotch-rocket rides at thecend when they croos my path. There's lots of mirror-glancing as I keep up, but it proves the point.

Next is to compare stats...the GW does not have "lead in it's pants". My wife and I can ride 600+ miles at 80/85 on superslabs for days on end, interspersed with technical twisties, light off-road, and secondary roads.

It's not the equipment, it's if you know how to use it. The GW can really help you "use it"

·
Premium Member
2015 40th Anniversary 1800
51 Posts
I'm 55, and on my 4th wing. '77, 98, 06 and now 15. Been officially riding for 40 yrs...yup, a mid-life thing.

Two things to reply with. One is a demo (if you confident in your riding); offer to "lead" them on a ride. Only once have I been "beat", and that was by a traffic-cop-in-training on a hyabusa. I did not expect to win the race, but I did win respect. I often "join" crotch-rocket rides at thecend when they croos my path. There's lots of mirror-glancing as I keep up, but it proves the point.

Next is to compare stats...the GW does not have "lead in it's pants". My wife and I can ride 600+ miles at 80/85 on superslabs for days on end, interspersed with technical twisties, light off-road, and secondary roads.

It's not the equipment, it's if you know how to use it. The GW can really help you "use it"
You can also mention how MANY HDs and CRs are on trailers, compared to how FEW GWs are trailered. GWs are for people who like to RIDE, and not just show up for a drink at the neighborhood bar before heading home.

Reactions: Bigguy49

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,130 Posts
uh oh, my gl1800 is up on a trailer, now I am the one who is going to be chastised.

Getting ready to go to Norfork, AR NASR13 rally tmw morning...

Should have seen the guys at Metric Cycles load it up on this Tilt Bed trailer in the rain a week ago.
Took them 3 tries, get to the top, and slide back down.
then the young guy said to the Old Guru mechanic, you are going to get hurt, let me do it.

He backed up, hit it at a run hard and the trailer plopped down and the front wheel locked into the chock...
I remember being young and foolish like that 40 years ago when I will only 38 years old.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Sounds like the young guy had better skills!

Rayjoe

21 - 40 of 52 Posts