Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok so I'm 42 years old currently. I just bought my first wing. I love every second I'm on it. I've had shadows, intruders, and a HD at one point. I always wanted a wing so I found a deal and bought one. So my question is.....why are wings considered an "old man's bike". How has such a great machine been labeled as such. My coworker can't understand why I bought it. However, now that I own one I can't see me owning anything else. At what point and age did you guys get on your first wing? Did you ever leave and comeback to a wing?
I started riding Goldwings when I got to 40+ I`m 67 and still riding Goldwings once you ride one you are hooked no getting out of it, an answer to your question is.. If you think its an old mans bike think again, you need to be pretty fit and strong to handle a large bike, and a lot of young guys all they want to do is go like a bat out of hell around mountain bends, dont get me wrong the wing can do that too but you need your wits about you to do it and a mature person you need to be, I have be riding since i was 12 years old and i have had a lot of makes and models of bikes, But I love to ride in comfort and speed so I`m hooked aswell I ride a GL 1500 Aspencade Limited edition and love it.And I built a gararge for it.
IMG_20210401_121118.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I started riding Goldwings when I got to 40+ I`m 67 and still riding Goldwings once you ride one you are hooked no getting out of it, an answer to your question is.. If you think its an old mans bike think again, you need to be pretty fit and strong to handle a large bike, and a lot of young guys all they want to do is go like a bat out of hell around mountain bends, dont get me wrong the wing can do that too but you need your wits about you to do it and a mature person you need to be, I have be riding since i was 12 years old and i have had a lot of makes and models of bikes, But I love to ride in comfort and speed so I`m hooked aswell I ride a GL 1500 Aspencade Limited edition and love it.And I built a gararge for it. View attachment 326187

·
Registered
5 Posts
PS you don`t have to Baby it ether I did 470,000 Miles out of my first engine before i hadto rebuild engine and after that did another 385k out of the same eng and even then it was minor work to do.! Don`t be a Biker that Trailers his around like a baby, I have done over 1 mil miles and still going I wore out the Trailer so got another Clasic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive had 2 wings, first one was a 78 I bought from a friend my age at the time, 25. Rode it for years. Restored it after a bad accident. Was beautiful. Wife and then daughter rode with me. The 2nd wing (76) I found in a junkyard and spent 7 months restoring, parting out the 78 to pay for the resto. The 76 is acfually a frankenbike. I liked the exhaust, wheels (comstar) on the 78 better than the spokes so I converted swingarm brakes and forks to fit the 76. Rode it for about 6 years. Ran like a bat out of hell and could take on most other bikes due to all the Randakks tweaks I incorporated when I completely tore down the carbs and rebuilt them.
About 7 years ago I ran across an 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade and have ridden it since.
About 2 years ago I slowly started a complete overhaul of the 76 Wing. New custom 2 tone paint, all new electronics (starter, solenoid, dyna coils and ignition, kill switch, battery tender brand lithium battery (damn thing weighs about 1.5 pounds!) all new LED turns and headlamp. Just finishing re-rebuilding the carbs (and she will be faster than before). Soon as I get the carbs in she will be fired up for the first time in 7 years, and she doesnt even have 30,000 miles on her. Ill ride her the rest of the summer, will be doing a couple pulls at the dragstrip, then she will be given to my son. Hes 25 and has been bugging me to restore it since he learned how to ride a bike on it at 17.
Goldwings are basically bullet proof. Now, I never rode one distance, prolly did 300 miles in one ride but did ride the Cade to Tenn. and back, 1,850 miles in 6 days and 6 states. (The Cavalcade, for those not familiar, was supposed to be Suzukis answer to the Goldwing. Super comfortable, but getting real hard to find parts for. Look it up, beautiful bike.
Sorry for the long wind. It does not matter what others say about our Wings, we know they are solid bikes with great lineage. Why else would they still be made today??
Enjoy her, be safe, keep the rubber down.
Would like to see finished job on 78 pics please

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought my first Wing new in 82 at 35 years old. I had pushed my AMF Harley home for the last time. After 120K miles I got a Yamaha Venture which lasted till 95 when I bought my current Wing new. Comfortable, dependable, quiet and handles like it is on rails in the turns. Can't tell you how many times I have been on runs when somebody's HD breaks down. The 95 has has 225K miles now. I like riding not profiling. If others like it that's fine, if not too bad cuz I still love riding it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm tired of seeing Harleys buzzing around like flies. When I see a GoldWing, it's like a breath of fresh air.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
If I get another motorcycle, I think it will be a Harley. I mean, those guy seemingly get attention on every Gold Wing forum post and ostensibly have most of the pretty woman..... Sounds like a winning formula to me.

Not that I care what others think, of course!

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
If I get another motorcycle, I think it will be a Harley. I mean, those guy seemingly get attention on every Gold Wing forum post and ostensibly have most of the pretty woman..... Sounds like a winning formula to me.

I don't ride to get attention. I like it better on back roads where there is nobody to look at me. I don't care for sun dried biker chicks either.

·
Registered
8 Posts

You do not have to have a Harley to get a pretty woman.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts