Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
22,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with this new format finding the original thread on this seems near impossible, so...

Some of you may recall my car wreck. I have taken the car to a few body shops and mostly they have quoted higher than I am willing, and or, able to pay. The lowest was 300 bucks just to straighten the radiator support, and when it came down to it, he doesn't seem to want the job because he won't return my calls. So...

So, I took the car to the guy who gave me the next lowest bid, ($400 to straighten said support) and he didn't remember our conversation or his bid. All he had seen was some pics on a tablet. He looked the car over and quoted 350 bucks to do the whole job, including assembly and paint.

Normally, when something is that much less than other bids, I suspect there's a reason, but I made an appointment to drop the car off Jan 6 and he says I can have it back by the 10th. Meanwhile I'll see if I can find any reviews of his work, etc. He's been in business at that location for 11 years. I sort of suspect it won't be the greatest job, but I can at least afford it.

So, opinions? Should I keep looking? Do you think Santa will fix it Christmas Eve?

·
Administrator
58,478 Posts
Dennis,
I clicked on the 3 dot menu and selected Advanced Search.

then I pasted your username into 'username'

then I typed in car wreck.... then 'Search'

that gave me these links:

some of those links are to different posts in the same thread.

I asked for a general search which would include the words 'car wreck'.
it seems that it will also bring up posts with only one of the words, but at least it only brings up your posts.

If you had mentioned the Title, I would have been able to search "by title only".

use the ADVANCED SEARCH feature, it is far more powerful than the general search at the top of the page.

Xenforo has a far better search algorithm than VBulletin.
it was for crap.

I had to use Google Advanced Search to find our links.

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
Well, with this new format finding the original thread on this seems near impossible, so...

Some of you may recall my car wreck. I have taken the car to a few body shops and mostly they have quoted higher than I am willing, and or, able to pay. The lowest was 300 bucks just to straighten the radiator support, and when it came down to it, he doesn't seem to want the job because he won't return my calls. So...

So, I took the car to the guy who gave me the next lowest bid, ($400 to straighten said support) and he didn't remember our conversation or his bid. All he had seen was some pics on a tablet. He looked the car over and quoted 350 bucks to do the whole job, including assembly and paint.

Normally, when something is that much less than other bids, I suspect there's a reason, but I made an appointment to drop the car off Jan 6 and he says I can have it back by the 10th. Meanwhile I'll see if I can find any reviews of his work, etc. He's been in business at that location for 11 years. I sort of suspect it won't be the greatest job, but I can at least afford it.

So, opinions? Should I keep looking? Do you think Santa will fix it Christmas Eve?
He will probably do a better job than I could, body man I ain't.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Still I dont like the way John. I used to click om my avatar and select all posts or all posts started by me.

Dennis sometime the cheap guy does just as good of a job or close to it. Stick with him is my opinion

·
Administrator
58,478 Posts
Still I dont like the way John. I used to click om my avatar and select all posts or all posts started by me.
yeah,
I understand Peter....
but, Xenforo is totally different, written by a totally different programming team, with a totally different concept of what they feel is important.

Still and all, the 3 DOT Menu is pretty damn fast to get to what you want, just click on Advanced Search

·
Administrator
22,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah,
I understand Peter....
but, Xenforo is totally different, written by a totally different programming team, with a totally different concept of what they feel is important.

Still and all, the 3 DOT Menu is pretty damn fast to get to what you want, just click on Advanced Search

View attachment 320762

Before, you could select something like "see all threads started by" and really narrow it down. The random search feature this new software offers isn't something I use much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts