Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Seriously, the heat is stifling. Early morning is the only time it's fit to ride and then you better be in the shade or at home by 10am.

Is the Sun getting hotter or could it be old age catching up with me?:(

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Pffft. Been 100+ degrees for 27 days straight. Low temps in the morning has been middle to upper 80's.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Been in the high 90's here, 101 the other day for an hour so in the afternoon. Riding isn't as enjoyable, the wind seems to hit you to knock you over, doesn't just wisp by like a cool breeze. But short rides still have to be had.

Gotta take the good with the bad.......

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

I ride to work and back, nice in the mornings but the afternoon ride home is tough. Way too hot to think about any all day rides.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I ride to work and back, nice in the mornings but the afternoon ride home is tough. Way too hot to think about any all day rides.
+1 75 -85 mornings 95 - 100 afternoon. the 95 at 55 A/C is not gettin it done

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

The heat from the road makes it feel like you are riding in an oven. Only been in the the low 90's here. I can't imagine what you guys in the southern states are dealing with. It could be worse, how I don't know, but it could.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

Yep pretty miserable. Just got back from a 1700 mile vacation ride. After 11am, stopped every hour and drank gatorade. Get into a town in stop and go traffic. Not good.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Just took a 20 mile ride home from the coffee shop. I took the back roads because there is a lot of small hills on the road. On the tops of the hills it;s about 85 but on the bottom of the hills, in those little valley it felt like 70....... refreshing..... almost put me to sleep......

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

I am guilty of complaining about the heat and humidity. Here in Ga, it seems like August has already been here for two months.

As bad as it feels here, we have nothing to complain about compared to many of you. A member a couple of days ago from OK mentioned the 135 degree temperature spread they've had in the last six months; Dallas has had 100+ for more than a month; Fargo has had more 100 degree days than we have (0) and it never has been close to 30 below here...

Cooler weather better suited to riding must be coming, at least that's what I keep whispering into Matilda's mirror. Wouldn't want her feeling neglected, females of any species don't care much for that!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,710 Posts
imported post

Here locally in the desert valley, it is running about 106-107 everyday.

But, the humidity is low enough that a lot of bikes are tooling around just like any other day.

Mardonna and I were out today doing some errands and commented that "it don't seem so bad today, almost nice".

I looked at the temp gauge on the car and it showed 107 while cruising down the streets. We felt the warmth, but not a severe heat. It made me think of the desert miners back in the late 1800s and they did just fine. Cowboys and Indians too.

Every one acclimated and life went on.

As I type this, it is 100* outside and I made the trip to secure the stuff outside, and bring in the mail. Actually felt sort of pleasant. "Feel temp" was just kind of warm.

100 mile trips in 105-110 heat? Don't think so.

Early out, and stop by 11:00

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Today we passed 66 days over 100F. 69 days is our all time record from 1925. The scary thing is we are getting used to it. We get our early and about 11:30 put on wet vests and last week made it to 2:30. I am ready for cooler weather!

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hey awingandaprayer, beautiful little town you live in. One day I'm going to visit with my camera and take lots of picks of the beautiful antebellum mansions on main street. For those of you who've never been to Madison, Ga, it's worth the detour.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

Fritz_The_Cat wrote:
Hey awingandaprayer, beautiful little town you live in. One day I'm going to visit with my camera and take lots of picks of the beautiful antebellum mansions on main street. For those of you who've never been to Madison, Ga, it's worth the detour.
I first moved to Madison in 1983. It was a small town then. The first week I went to the laundry mat to do my clothes. Wasn't in there 5 minutes and a total stranger walked up to me and said "Aren't you Ken's little brother?" My brother Kenneth had lived there about 10yrs at that time and was a volunteer fireman, first responder, plant supervisor, etc, and well known in that small town. I moved away in '84, moved back in '86 and made my final move back home in '87. It has grown too much to be a small town IMHO now. The mansions are still there and very nice, but to me the small town atmosphere is gone.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

I know I shouldn't do it, but ... I think we might hit 78 today :D
Sorry ... spent plenty of time in the SW and SE and while I feel for you I sure don't miss it. More fun to complain about the grey and rain up here. Stay cool.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

I just stepped out its 83 but feels like 95 and the air it so thick its ugly out

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
imported post

It's a combination of things.

It is a hot summer, not the first, not the last, but it's "this summer". Just a few years ago recall a summer we ran AC two weeks only, wife's had it on since in May this year.

AC and all the comforts of modern life that even the poor enjoy has also given us more time to reflect on the heat of summer.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Huh.... whatch'a talking about?? :?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Thanks alot there Rusty! Now I miss Fallbrook and San Marcos even more! What da hell were we thinking moving here?! I never had a bike of any kind for the 13 or so years we lived in So.Cal. We sure missed some pristine riding! Idyllwilde, Fallbrook, Bonsall, even Temecula is nice most of the year! Yeah, we miss it. I just couldn't keep up the rat race there anymore. I was working 7 days a week just to survive! Barb was an E-Bay seller before it became filled with rip off artists, and that helped, but the $$$$ just wasn't there after a couple of years. We sold a 1100 sq. ft. house for $367,000, and that got us outa there, and a paid for house and shop here in Ala-friggin-bama, so here we be! I love the woods and forrests, and all the water, but dang it's hot in the summer. You lucky dog you! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

today is the first day we've had around here that isnt 100 degrees with 100%humidity turning it into 120ish temps with the heat index

rode the bike to work during all that it was HOTTTTTTTTTTTTT had to watch it going through town the radiator wasnt getting enuf air forced through it so it kept over heating due to the temps and traffic jams was ruff

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

To hot for this old goat past mid-day.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.