Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know off hand if turning the screw out leans or enrichens the mixture on a 1979 GL1000? Seems # 3 and 4 are a tiny bit lean.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

My plugs are getting fouled (carboned up)...should I be turning the screws out or in?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

If you mean the plugs are geting black then open up the air screw to weaken the mixture. If however you do actuall mean the plugs are getting carboned up then you may have an oil burning problem. Too rich a mixture and carboning (usually a white build-ip on the plugs) are two seperate issues altogether.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

I meant the plugs were getting blackened up. Thanks for the reply. I understand what you mean about the difference between that and carbonization.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

this is my first posting: have a 821100, my ques is about lean & rich, when the guys are behind me they say i burn there eyes from running to rich, although it runs great i am concerned i may have a oil problem , the plugs run somewhat dark, not wet and never fouls and it does tend to use a littleoil when running hard on road trips, should i be concerned, alsowhen left on side stand overnite it will smoke some on the left side, would it be worth it to pull motor and rebuild?? Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

bruce deagle wrote:
this is my first posting: have a 821100, my ques is about lean & rich, when the guys are behind me they say i burn there eyes from running to rich, although it runs great i am concerned i may have a oil problem , the plugs run somewhat dark, not wet and never fouls and it does tend to use a littleoil when running hard on road trips, should i be concerned, alsowhen left on side stand overnite it will smoke some on the left side, would it be worth it to pull motor and rebuild?? Thanks
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, Bruce!:waving::waving:

Sounds like you might be a little on the rich side. If your mileage is around 38-40 you are probably not too far off. It's pretty typical for these bikes to smoke a bit when first started after being on the kick stand for awhile. The oil tends to collect in the lower cylinders. How much oil do you use?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

hey exavid: it may go thru a 1/2 to 1 liter every 1500 to 2000 km, i don't run it extremily hard but sometimes we haul along pretty good, i never pin it or run full throttle and maintain it faithfully, i like running bosch plugs which are directly crossed to the stock NGK's

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hi Bruce and welcome. A litre of oil every 1500kms (900 miles) seems excessive. Might be worn rings. Is there high miles on your engine?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

hey ted: it has 64km on it, i tore the whole bike downa few years back and did a rebuild but never seemed to have this going on then and never touched the motor, what would your guess be for cost of motor rebuild if i took the motor out and brought to a shop to be done? thks.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I have had a float stick on my 77 before that made it run rich and burn everyone's eyes too.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

bruce deagle wrote:
hey ted: it has 64km on it, i tore the whole bike downa few years back and did a rebuild but never seemed to have this going on then and never touched the motor, what would your guess be for cost of motor rebuild if i took the motor out and brought to a shop to be done? thks.
Having a rebuild is going to be pretty expensive, a large proportion of the value of the bike. Before you get that deep why not do a compression check to get an idea of how well the rings and valves are sealing? If you have good compression a lot of your oil consumption might be caused by poor valve stem seals and guides. Rebuilding the heads is much less costly than removing and splitting the engine.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

hey ted: that's what i am going to do, i find it hard to believe it's the rings because of the way the bike has been carefully maintained. tahks, i'll let you know! bruce

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

These engines seem to be pretty long lasting in the bearing,piston and ring area. I think it's much more likely the oil consumption is due to the top end.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

here's what i did: checked crankcase holding tank and it was clean, checked air cleaner and chamber for any oil and they were good, these things i always check and have never been a problem, i changed the oil from 10-40 to20-50 and the difference was very noticable, also filled tank with premium gas and the bike never rattled or pinged when i had it in high gear and intentionally accelerated at what would normally be to low an rpm, never ran 20-50 before because of the starter clutch slipping when cold, i also think by always topping the oil up i may of had it where it burns it down to the level where the fill point is correct, i have a dip stick. this week i am going on 1000 mile run and then we'll see. thanks for the tips: will let you know!! bruce

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.