Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was doing some research today to figure out what to replace my rear tire with and noticed that my front tire, a new looking (PO said it was new when I bought the bike in January and it does look new) D404 Dunlop, is only rated at 639 lbs. I have the full fairing and ride 2 up occasionally. Plus I am no small fry at 235. Is this enough tire or should I replace the front tire too?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
imported post

Both my 1100's had the 404's on them. I had no problems with them on the weight, I suspect the rear would be more the one that would be concening on that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
789 Posts
imported post

My CB 750 has 404's on it, no problem. My 1200 never will after seeing my buddy's 1100 blow the side walls on a new 404 on the rear. Presure and all was correct. You might be ok on the front but I have always put a better rated tire than what I need. Just play it safe.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,939 Posts
imported post

The stock front tire for an 1800 is rated at 600 lbs. (272kg).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,013 Posts
imported post

I ran a 404 on the rear of my 1200 and only got around 3k.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I ordered an Elite 3 for the rear. If the profiles work together I think I will just stick with the combo. If not, then I will get the Elite 3 for the front.

On a related note, the dealer is getting me the Elite 3 for $140 plus $15 for mounting and balancing. With shipping, that was less than I could find it on the internet and it would have been about $40 to get it mounted.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
75 Posts
imported post

Wow, 3,000 miles? That would suck.

I'm new to this. What kind of mileage is normal for tires on our bikes?

I just had a new set of Kendas mounted.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
272 Posts
imported post

i use d404 on both wheels, never had a problem either on my 1100 or my 1200, the last one i changed had 6.000 kilometres on the rear and the front one is still on it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
230 Posts
imported post

I tried a 404 dunlop on my 1100 a couple years ago because all the others were on backorder, and the 404 would swell up when it gets hot and rub the torque bar that goes between the rear brake caliber and the frame, as for the front I had one of those to, the front 404 has such a soft sidewall I would compare it to an intertube, if it was somehow punctured and lost air it would most definetly go to the rim and cause a crash, stick to something with a stiff sidewall like the elite II's or elite III's, metzlers are tough tires but wear unevenly and get rough, never tried bridgestones might look into them also, hope this helps. I like a tire that will hold the bike up if it loses air, gives you a little insurance cause those roofing nails can be picked up anywhere.
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,937 Posts
imported post

AndyB wrote:
On a related note, the dealer is getting me the Elite 3 for $140 plus $15 for mounting and balancing. With shipping, that was less than I could find it on the internet and it would have been about $40 to get it mounted.
Hey Andy,

I'm a big fan of buying locally too. Especially tires because if you have a problem you know who to call, and you won't have additional mounting fees to replace the tire. And like you I've found that some places can be competitive, price wise.

I think the biggest plus, though, is the goodwill you build. It will pay off some day.
 

·
Texas Boy
Joined
·
278 Posts
imported post

I found out recently that my local dealer was doing a poor job on my tires. I mounted the last set myself and found that the splines on the rear hub had apparently never been greased as they should when replacing tires. I am leaning more and more to never letting anyone else touch my bike, that way I know what was done and I know the condition of the parts.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I plan to pull the wheel and just deliver the rim to the dealer. I will regrease the splines myself.
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,937 Posts
imported post

I agree, you should never trust a dealer to do a job right. I always pull the rims myself and take the wheels in to have the tires mounted and balanced.

But remember, if you are putting 5k miles per year on your bike and getting 15k out of a set of tires, that's too long between spline lubes and you should be pulling the wheel for lubing at least once in the interim. Maybe twice depending on climate & conditions.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
imported post

Anon wrote:
Wow, 3,000 miles? That would suck.

I'm new to this. What kind of mileage is normal for tires on our bikes?

I just had a new set of Kendas mounted.
all depends on HOW you ride.... I have over 25K on my HD dunlops
 

·
Texas Boy
Joined
·
278 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
I agree, you should never trust a dealer to do a job right. I always pull the rims myself and take the wheels in to have the tires mounted and balanced.

But remember, if you are putting 5k miles per year on your bike and getting 15k out of a set of tires, that's too long between spline lubes and you should be pulling the wheel for lubing at least once in the interim. Maybe twice depending on climate & conditions.
I put over 10,000 miles a year on my bike and rarely go a year between tire changes. The tires I just took off were put on in March but I had a nail incident that dictated replacement. The splines were dusty and dry.
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,937 Posts
imported post

tracker4x44 wrote:
i use d404 on both wheels, never had a problem either on my 1100 or my 1200, the last one i changed had 6.000 kilometres on the rear and the front one is still on it

Hi Tracker,

I just caught the (I presume) 6,000 km on the tire. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's around 4,200 miles. That's very poor mileage in my estimation.



And Gary,

I didn't mean toimply that you were not maintaining your bike correctly, and thenumbers I threw out were merely as an example.

It was in no way meant as a personal attack. I sincerely apologize if I led you to believe otherwise.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
imported post

I once got about 3000 on a cheng-sing (cheap s***) on my 1000 that also had a hack at the time.... but that is lousy milage.

the 404's aren't known for being great tires. Unfortunately the really early wings have 17" rears and dunlop did not carry the 17" tire over to the E-IIIs
 

·
Texas Boy
Joined
·
278 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
And Gary,

I didn't mean toimply that you were not maintaining your bike correctly, and thenumbers I threw out were merely as an example.

It was in no way meant as a personal attack. I sincerely apologize if I led you to believe otherwise.
Dennis, I didn't take it as an attack.My reply was meantto clarify that it was definitely a situation where the dealer should have taken care of something in the course of another service and didn't. Just kind of a reminder that dealers aren't perfect. If you find a good one that you trust, treasure them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,003 Posts
imported post

. Ive ran the 404s on otherbikes and never got good mileage out of the rears, .that load rating should be OK for the front.I prefer Metzlers, but thats not in my budget today. I just got in a Kenda Kruz rear for my 83 Aspencade. It is rated at 908 lbs. It appears to be a stout tire with a stiff sidewall. I have never ran them before. 81 dollars delivered. Time will tell. JB
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top