Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

I'm getting a good chuckle out of you two. Very entertaining. I owned a Wing for 9 years. Loved it. What's NOT to love ?? Sold it and bought a Harley ( 2 years ago ) just to try something different as I often do. Love the Harley too. But make no mistake gents, I hope I'm wrong, but for the long haul, I'll still take a Wing. I can only hope to ride my Harley 70,000 trouble free miles with only ONE problem.

Dennis

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

bar20 wrote:
Krej Ahctog wrote:
why do you americans chrome everything
It's kind of like getting a tattoo. Some people just can't stop with one. It also has a lot to do with growing up in the mid-late 50's and early 60's in the USA when Detroit could'nt put enough chrome on their cars. We can't figure out why Brits like warm beer either:alco:!
Not just Brits! REAL beer tastes better on the cool side. A good Sam Adams, or Harpoon, or Magic Hat...tastes better when it's about room temp. A Guiness loses it's taste completely when chilled.

You Bud drinkers....try the freezer!

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hey guys ,just to give you all the heads up this member Krej Ahctog ,he only joined to wind people up ,read his name backwards ,he is not in Luxembourgh either ,, he is no longer a member here ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

hahahahah wow, good call wexy! that is something, GOTCHA JERK! LOL rick

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

yea if the 1200 could breath better it would be closer to the power most people would want. You ever take off the stock exhaust pipes and look and how boney they are and that huge weld that restricts the exhaust flow hahah. Also 2 valves per cylinder.... and not to mention the intake pipes are kinda scrawny too.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

Talonwing wrote:
yea if the 1200 could breath better it would be closer to the power most people would want....
Yeah...I can sympathize with the 1200. "Doc, I need my restrictor plates removed...." :D

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
I had a cx 500 c.... great around town bike, but it rattled you to death on long trips....
Well I dunno- I put 30K on one of these babies...bought it for $700, sold it for $300! I think that's a pretty good deal, eh? :D Ok yeah...with tires, etc. I spend a few hundred, in between....:dude:

It was GREAT for four day holiday weekends...Arizona through the National Parks of California (first time over Tioga Pass) on to Crater Lake Oregon, and back, up to Idaho and back, etc.

The trick is to "wrap it up" to about 70mph...the "buzz" goes away! :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: In my opinion, the "mini-Wing" is pretty sweet too (water cooled), but...the drive train is not as heavy duty, so prepare for that? :waving:

Trailers not recommended, with the CX500....:D

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I personally do not find my GL1800 all that hard to work on but I have worked on my cars, motorcycles and been a semi tractor trailer mechanic/welder for over 25 years.
If you are a mechanically inclined, most of it is not that hard to do.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

RePete wrote:
Hmmmm...not only do I NOT find my 1800 overly complicated or too loaded with gadgets, I love adding more electronics. The things I add do not glitter and sparkle but instead add to Hondas already well thought out, well engineered motorcycle.

For instance, to eliminate the problem of the "live" intercom, picking up ambient sound from all around thru the helmet mics I installed "Mic Mutes". Now the cb transmit toggle on my left control group shuts down the intercom when we are not speaking and want to hear our music with less "polution" from the mics. I installed a PTT switch one the bottom of the rear speaker pod so my bride can have the same control. So touching the switch brings on a world of quiet compared to the outside wracket.

I also added a Garmin "Zumo" GPS to replaced all the other mounted audio gadgets I used to have. Now I have a great weather proof GPS, a very good built in 4 gb MP3 player, an XM sattelite radio and (with the addition of a Kennedy Cell Set module) a blue tooth interface hard wired into what the Honda engineers already built into the bike. This means I can make or receive calls thru the gps unit which communicates with the cell phone in my pocket. All I need do is touch the screen (when safe to do so) to make voice activated calls directly into our helmets. Both my bride and I can speak and hear these calls. Also very handy is the advantage of pulling into a strange town and doing a quick lodging search on the GPS. After finding a place to stay the phone # is usually highlighted on the screen. A quick touch of the screen and it dials away and you book your room. Another option on this fine "add on " unit is the ability to download "audio books" directly to the gps unit in MP3 format. When cruising down a long highway it's great to eat up the miles listening to a 8 hour novel through the helmets. All this in one compact simple to use while riding unit that plugs into the bikes stock audio system with very little fuss.

Do I enjoy spending 2 1/2 hrs changing out an air filter ? Nope. But I found it interesting that after 40,000 kms it didn't need to be changed anyway, because it's so damned big it takes forever to plug up. Or the annual coolant change, removing the overflow tank and hoses and all the other picky things including getting the air out of the system ? Not really. But after buying Fred Harmons excellent Gold Wing maintainence DVDs and purchasing a shop manual, I've saved a small fortune in shop bills just for basic up keep. The more in depth operations like valve shim replacement I'll leave to my local shop, along with other maintaince that I think is more safety related.

My point here is that while some may find the bike hard to work on (it's true enough) because of the overly complicated workings, others revel in the potential of the aftermarket conveniences and improvements available to make this machine even more tour friendly.

Guess it's like anything else. Some like it simple and some like me say, "bring it on!" More power, please. And that includes both the engine AND the alternator ! :weightlifter:;)
I'm with you all the way, the more gadgets the better.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

I was thinking of re-chipping my 1200 then realised, it more than likely doesn't have one to replace, what performance aids are out there for 1200's.
Dave............:dance::dance::dance:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Feetup wrote:
I love the Gold Wing, always have, but I find the GL1800 is far too complex. There is a great deal to be said about the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) theory.

I understand you need to meet legislated demands, but short of that, unnecessary complication is counter productive. This is one of the biggest reasons prospective GL buyers are purchasing Harley Davidsons.

Also, there is no need to have an engine larger than the 1200 cc. With fuel prices steadily rising a newer version of the GL1200 would be a good seller. I personally will not buy an 1800 for that reason, but if a smaller capacity, lighter, less complexversion was offered I most definitely would. I could easily afford a new GL1800, but I bought a carefully used GL1200 instead because it was simple enough that I could understand it.

Tim J
I wonder if Momma Honda is thinking what I'm thinking?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

Krej Ahctog wrote:
why do you americans chrome everything
mmm because we can afford it :ROFL::ROFL::applause::applause::raspberry::raspberry:

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

pinkpork wrote:
wexy wrote:
Make it a mono cycle .. one cylinder,one plug,one carb and one wheel :cheeky1:
Here yer are,,,  this should do,,:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Well what about the latest spy picture from Honda Japan (new Goldwing Prototype)I think, looks fast.
Regards, Dave............:ROFL:

Attachments

101 - 118 of 118 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.