Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm beginning to wonder if we might have too many moderators. In the past we have allowed spirited discussion of most topics, apparently no longer. The topic concerning drinking and driving seemed to be cut off long before it became acrimonious and before I could even respond to the charge that comparing brain surgery to riding a motorcycle under the influence was foolish. It wasn't. It was merely illustrative. While I don't like to see flaming and insulting behavior anymore than anyone else, let's not be too quick to pull the plug. Especially when the discussion is within the guidelines of the forum, and topic.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I also agree. there are mant different view points on subjects and a topic can turn into a debate but it is very interesting to read other's views which might not be in keeping with my own. I have accepted criticism from others on occation because I did not take time to see things in a different light.

I think, If it stays respectfull & constructive, let it fly. When it becomes rated "R", edit it for the sake of those who might be offended..........Or, create a dark room where all heated topics get moved. Restricted access for those who want to continue with the topic even though it is heated., Just a thought eh!

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Guys, listen.

Several moderators were given the heads up on that thread because it was headed down a bad path, so instead of letting it turn into a giant p!$$ing match in which misunderstandings run rampant, people get angry, feelings get hurt, etc...

We did as those who pointed the flare-up out to us requested.

No intenet to step on toes, but an attempt to keep things civil BEFORE they got uncivil.

Look at it this way, the drain was plugged, we turned off the water before the sink overflowed. Much easier than mopping up the floor later.

Mike

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

Sorry I got a tad worked up guys, I sometimes let my opinions get the best of me, hope you can forgive me.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Exavid, Knute...

Please check your PM's.

Thank you

Mike

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Exavid, Knute...

Please check your PM's.

Thank you

Mike
looks like we may get a couple more moderators :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
imported post

It's like too many lawyers, better chance of getting sued.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I don't necessarily think there are too many moderators, after all it does take some watching, with so many members now and particularly the time differences involved between the countries. But I think that perhaps some discretionary work might be done, as in PM's to any "offenders" or perhaps a little more discussion behind the scenes on the moderators forum, before the "axe" falls ora thread is locked up.

There is a learning curve with the introduction of new things on the site and perhaps in a short time all players will be batting from the same end so to speak. :baffled:

I hate to watch a thread get out of hand, and I am sure most feel the same, especially if the thread is of particular interest to all, but sometimes recently I have seen things jumped on a bit too quickly and some eloquent folks have not had the chance to respond responsibly. I am one of those who learned to post responsibly by watching threads and seeing what is acceptable and what is not, the rules are simple and should be read by all. Many take a deep breath and respond eloquently and give no cause for alarm, and if anyone flares up, usually a pleasant PM will resolve things and perhaps the Mods should do this more often. :baffled:

99% of the time, folks "play" nicely here and only touchy subjects, raise the blood pressures, and I am sure that this can be alleviated without such drastic action as chopping or locking threads.

I know that folks like Exavid have broad shoulders and don't take offence easily, so I would ask for more tolerance to be shown before wielding those axes!!! :)

Just my 2 pennies worth, and should be taken with a pinch of salt!!!:waving:

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
imported post

Silverfox, you are doing a fine job as diplomat. Maybe we should have more of those. But then you wouldn't have an exclusive title, senior diplomat maybe.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
Silverfox, you are doing a fine job as diplomat. Maybe we should have more of those. But then you wouldn't have an exclusive title, senior diplomat maybe.
Trust me Davogd430.... you REALLY don't want any more of me around!!!! One diplomatic sort is more than this site can handle:shock:!!!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I really do think the moderator do a great job. You have to stop and think and have the mindset to not get involved yourself. And to be able to tell people to shut up in a nice way and make them like it. :DIt is a hard thing to do sometimes.

I suppose were I a moderator and I have no wish to be one, subjects like religion, politics, guns, (charity other than for one of our members) flags, drinking, MC accidents that happen in Asia and start helmet wars, and so on I would just instantly AXE. But this is a democracy, so I would not make a good moderator.

Those subjects do contain a lot of different feelings and some very strong opinions and will normally get out of hand, if not sooner, pretty much soon.

I think for sure the moderators do an excellent job. It is tough being a referee, and keeping your own opinion out of the mix.

Kit

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

always a thin line on forums, eh? (I picked that up from some of the canadians at NASSIR) Keping a forum civil is extremely important. and the size of this forum is larger than one or two people can handle. I only glanced at the thread, so I was unaware it had gone away....

anyway, what I like about this forum and the NGW site is the focus on keeping this a MC forum, where our friendship is because of our common enjoyment of our bikes....

once some one is a friend it is easier to put up with their wrong headed, stupid, idiot and bass-achwards political views

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
once some one is a friend it is easier to put up with their wrong headed, stupid, idiot and bass-achwards political views
Thank you Roger.... nice to know you still consider me a friend!!!!:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Several moderators were given the heads up on that thread because it was headed down a bad path, so instead of letting it turn into a giant p!$$ing match in which misunderstandings run rampant, people get angry, feelings get hurt, etc...
So, to me...

what's the difference in a spirited discussion like above, and one of your "oil discussions" on this board? Or, maybe a "K&N" discussion where people get close to volital defending their views?

jmo,
Robert

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

One of the things i like about this forum is the fact that you can put your view accross and not feel you are going to get picked on or criticised etc. This is down to the moderators keeping a good eye on the discussions, there is room for argument but when it gets to personal comments it sometimes need to hauled back in.

I am a moderator for our local bike club under the gwocgb banner, i have had to move stuff and omit stuff, its not easy, ie freedom of speech but i guessthis forumhas got it sussed, just look at the amount of members and posts generated.

Keep up the good work :cool:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.