Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just inherited this beautiful monster of a motorcycle you see in my avatar. 95 20th anniversary SE 1500.

After trickle charging it for 3 days, The battery was still dead, so i jumped it with 12v 225amp. got it started moved it. Goldwing club drove by paying thier last respects, Jumped it again to move it back.

Now I have a new battery, and realise I had the radio on when I jumped it.

found 3 blown fuses in the fuse box, after replacing them the radio works again but it's very quiet you can barley hear itat full volume. when I press the mute button I see mute appear on the dash but the volume stays the same. Is there an amplifier for the stereo?

Also when I start it after 3 days the clock says 1:00 and radio forgets what channel it was on but it will hold memory for a little while before it forgets. Havnt really tested how long, but after a ride to the store it remembers the time and radio station but after I park it and come back another day it has forgotten.

which first leads me to belive its a permanent power issue (forgetting memory)

but it remembers for a little while. Thats whats throwing me off.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi super and welcome to the forum there is a 5amp fuse in the relay box beside the fuse box you will need to remove the seat to get access this runs the radio memory and i think the amp for the radio as well.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Even using a225 Amp charger, thebike will only draw the amount of power required to start the bike. The fact that you have the blown fuses and the radio problems may indicate another problem in the electrical system. Did you have it working OK before you jump started it?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

ahh the relay box, I saw you there taunting me from behind a metal bar with your screw under the edge of the seat, nestled so comfortably next to the fuse box, which was so easily accessable.

Major disassembly it is.

Yes the radio was in fine working order before the jump. while the trickle charger was on it I was playing with the radio and cb. I turned the cb back off, but the radio wasnt so lucky.

Thank you both for you help.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Jumping with a high amperage power supply/charger and a high resistance battery will produce high voltage and voltage spikeswith AC"ripple" that will blow fuses and burnout light bulbs..and damage solid state devices... Your low volume problem may be as simple as a sticking switch, but others here (including myself) have done exactly what you have and suffered great damage.. that takes a while to sort out...

And Goldwings 4 ever.. no offense... But this is the third time is a few weeks that I have heard of this same scenario.. In my case, it was totally dead after the jump... I first gave it to a dealer who spent hours diagnosing the problem.. costing nearly $1000 for parts and labor..[He got it running but still didn't find all of the issues.. I found those later..]

As a check on the 5 amp fuse.. it supplies the memory for the clock, the cassette door power.. and something else (I forgot.. maybe memory)..

EDIT: Found one of the other Threads HERE

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I also forgot to add that the tape door does not work anymore, thanks sandie.

I am now even more confident that after I get to that relay box all my problems will be solved.

thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.