Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

too rich

8K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  exavid 
#1 ·
imported post

My 84 interstate is running too rich, plugs are solid black with carbon. I have completely cleaned the carbs, the bike is running great at all speeds,,starts without fuel inrichment, runs smooth at all speeds no smokeing at idle... getting only 30 mpg. pilot screws at 3 rounds out. any suggestions welcome:gunhead:

#2 ·
imported post

I would suggest checking the choke mechanism for sticking it could be seized up and deceive you with onlythe lever and cable moving, i dont know what kind of climate you live in but starting from cold should not be easy without some choke, also check the air filter for obstructions.

#3 ·
imported post

thanks, I have checked all four fuel enrichment valves, they are free and go completely in and out when I choke and unchoke,, I am in a warm climate. I also put in new air filter, and set floats in carb correctly 7.5 mm at first contact with needle spring. What puzzles me so much is why it runs so smooth but still only 30mpg, If it was smoking black smoke at idle I would think slow air valve, but it is not...I am afraid it will carbon up the valves if I don't get it corrected,,

#5 ·
imported post

Yes, I clean them, then they are black after a 50 mile run.

#6 ·
imported post

I'd be inclined tp drop back a complete turn on the pilots and take it for a few miles run and check the plugs again. Also, I read on other message boards a couple of years back that some aftermarket air filter were not allowing a proper airflow through. If you haven't got a Honda one fited, try running the bike with no filter for a few miles and check the plugs.

#7 ·
imported post

I think I would have to borrow a tachometer an recheck the pilot screw setting by the book. Deffinatly rich in the idle circuit, never heard of a wing that didn't require a little choke to start from cold....

#8 ·
imported post

that sound like good advice I will take the filter out and turn pilots in 1 turn....Thanks

#9 ·
imported post

ok I will check pilot setting with a tach, when I pull choke on it definately richens it a lot more....so I figure the enrichment is working...

#10 ·
imported post

Three turns out on the pilot screws is incorrect.. Idle mixture settings are controlled by engine rpm, not the number of turns on the pilot screws.. You're on the right track using a tachometer to set the screws.. When you're finished with the idle drop procedure, the pilot screws are approximately 1/4 turn WITHIN the two turn out range, not three turns.. Don't expect the engine to run smooth at idle because of the cams.. The lobes are ground for performance, not economy... Any fuel mileage in the 40 to 50 mpg range is acceptable as long as the spark plugs burn clean. Good luck and let us know how all this turns out.. No Pun Intended....:cool:

#11 ·
imported post

Thank you very much, I will do as you advised,,,,

#12 ·
imported post

where do I hook up my tach? to coils?

#14 ·
imported post

I guess I could try that, but I thought a person needed a tach with smaller graduations to set the pilots...one with 50 rpm graduations.

#15 ·
imported post

Your correct Dean, follow tach manufacturers directions,(usually coil/ground). The bikes tach is not calibrated in fine enough graduations. Your looking for a drop/increase, from the adjustment made to one carb at a time. My book says 2 1/4 turns from fully in.

But I'd use it as a reference, not the gospel...

Also, try ONE corrective step at a time. This way you don't mask the cure as you find it.

#17 ·
imported post

Shooter,

what about air filters, brand wish , my bike has a uni , I am thinking of trying a emgo after I get my too rich problem solved..

Dean

#18 ·
imported post

My 84 Aspencade was running too rich also, but, there was nothing wrong with the carbs, so, I cut the rusty mufflers off and installed straight pipesand now the mixture is right on. The power really jumped up, but the bike may be a bit too noisy for some, although it sounds very quiet next to a running Harley. LOL

Vic

#19 ·
imported post

P.S. I should also mention that I consistently get approximately 50 Imperial miles per gallon from this bike riding 2 up and loaded when cruising at 100 kph.

One thing you should check on your bike is the vacuum advance hose that runs from #4 intake to the ECU. If this hose is leaking you will not get an ignition timing advance and this will really cut into your fuel economy. When I first got my Wing this hose was rottedmaking my fuel economy poor, it immediately picked up after changing this hose.

Also, when checking plug color for fuel mixture readings you should have the bike fully warmed up, then go to a deserted back road and wind the engine out to redline in 3rd gear, once you reach redline kill the engine, coast to a stop and then pull the plugs and read them. This will give you a much better picture of the fuel mixture.

Vic

#20 ·
imported post

thanks for the advice, the vacuum hose to the ECU has been replaced with a clear hose,,,I will replace the hose it could be leaking or collapsing..not sure about the uni air filter it has ,, might try a emgo .not sure if I could just take out the baffles from the mufflers and try that...first I have to testride from my adjustments,,,like shooter told me take one trial at a time....

#21 ·
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Also, when checking plug color for fuel mixture readings you should have the bike fully warmed up, then go to a deserted back road and wind the engine out to redline in 3rd gear, once you reach redline kill the engine, coast to a stop and then pull the plugs and read them. This will give you a much better picture of the fuel mixture.

Vic
If you try this, keep the throttle open until the engine stops turning. Closing the throttle can increase the vacuum enough to suck in a very rich mixture.

#22 ·
imported post

Small word of caution.. When removing the spark plugs from a hot engine, be extremely careful. The spark plug threads will actually strip the threaded hole in the head due to expansion. I would recommend letting the engine cool to "room" temperature prior to removing the spark plugs. The color of the plugs will not change from the "run" temperature prior to cooling. When re-installing or replacing the spark plugs, simply coat the threads with clean engine oil or a small amount of anti-seize compound and torque to spec. Hope this helps avoid a helicoil job...;)

#23 ·
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
Shooter,

what about air filters, brand wish , my bike has a uni , I am thinking of trying a emgo after I get my too rich problem solved..

Dean

Can't offer any advice on the brand of filter as I've always used the factory piece.

#24 ·
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
My 84 Aspencade was running too rich also, but, there was nothing wrong with the carbs, so, I cut the rusty mufflers off and installed straight pipesand now the mixture is right on. The power really jumped up, but the bike may be a bit too noisy for some, although it sounds very quiet next to a running Harley. LOL

Vic
Wow, you guys truly are Guru's. by the way Vic, a 747 would sound quiet next to a running Harley, if you can find, a running Harley :D:D:D:D

I had a K&N oiled filter in mine for about 8 years, bike did seem to run, performbetter

#25 ·
imported post

Dean - any other symptoms besides poor fuel economy? My 84 1200A with 36kis having the same issues. I get 25mpg city. I also have these symptoms:

• Strong gas smell when starting and idleing - even when warm
  • Small backfires on deceleration (sometimes)
  • black carbon on plugs (dry not oily)
Otherwise the bike runs great. I'm going to apply all the advice above. I did have the carbs pulled and cleaned by prosa while back and that did not solve the problem. K&M air filter has been cleaned. Choke cable working fine

John

Orlando Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.