Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Help

I bought a beautiful 78 GL100 Goldwing in April with the intentions of rideing it to work & on vacation. I gave it until I few weeks ago when I finally gave up & sold it. My legs were just to short to reach the ground on both sides. I've been riding for over 30 years so I know that I should be able to handle it but I just couldn't. I loved the ride & comfort of the bike but I just could not overcome the fear of not being able to put both feet on the ground. Some one told me that there were some that were made a little shorter. Can anyone tell me what to look for. I have been looking on Ebay but no one I talk to is 5' 8" they are usually taller.

Thanks

Timekeeper

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

sorry to hear you sold the bike... I am 5'7" and have no trouble with my 1000 (hated BMW's though)... was this your first big bike? Then the problem may have been getting used to a big bike. I started on a CB360T and when I first drove a wing I thought it was VERY difficult to handle. Once I relaxed I discovered that was not true. However, you cannot expect your fott to stop a 500-700# bike like it might with a 200-300# bike.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Not my first bike just my first Goldwing. I started on a 125 Harley & moved up to a 250 YH & then on to honda. A 450-4, a 550-4, & then a 750-4. I then started riding a 1100 kaw but it was real short. I always like the honda but had never found a goldwing before. It is just too tall for me to handle. I I didn't have to go into the city with it it might have been OK but I had no choice in that to go to work. I don't like to just ride on the weekends so if one is sitting in my yard I want to ride it. Anyway I emailed a guy on ebay that was selling his bike & he said that he was only 5' 9" & he could put both feet flan on the gound. Maybe my legs are shorted than normal but I can't do it.

Timekeeper

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Timekeeper :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Perhaps you'd need a custom seat made? I imagine if you take the seat off and stradle the bike as long as you could touch the ground like you want you probably could get a seat made with a lower height? (dunno, just an idea)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

eluwak wrote:
Perhaps you'd need a custom seat made? I imagine if you take the seat off and stradle the bike as long as you could touch the ground like you want you probably could get a seat made with a lower height? (dunno, just an idea)
you can also still find 16" lester wheels on ebay that help lower the bike... also air shocks can help lower it as well. I do admit, my HD road king has the best seat hieigt for my leg length of all my bikes.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Timekeeper and welcome.

Shame you outed the Wing before quizing the guys here, they have discussed this before and there are various solutions for the shorter rider. Maybe it is not too late, now you have found this site, perhaps you could be persuaded to try with another Wing, with a modified seat etc. There are guys shorter than you (including legs) on here who could give you excellent advice.

Hope you get sorted one way or another for a bike.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

I was assured by a guy here in town that his is shorter & he has to sell so I'll look at it tonight maybe & try to buy it if it is shorter. His is an 84 model I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I'll just have to sit on it & find out. The other one I bought off ebay without looking at it.

Timekeeper

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Good man! The seats can definately be chopped down to suit a shorter leg. Others will explain I am sure.

The bikes you talked of riding are definately a different kind of ride. Wings are not the easiest bike to get used to , but once the different riding style becomes familiar it is one of the most enjoyable riding experiences, if not, the best ride.

Pete

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Hey Timekeeper I'm only 5'7 1/2" and I had1 1/2 inches of foam taken out ofthe seat and can reach with both feet, keep trying you will love the wing.

PS It's a 1984 interstate

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

Timekeeper wrote:
I was assured by a guy here in town that his is shorter & he has to sell so I'll look at it tonight maybe & try to buy it if it is shorter. His is an 84 model I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I'll just have to sit on it & find out. The other one I bought off ebay without looking at it.

Timekeeper
Timekeeper, its a short height (in the seat)model!

Im 5'6 with a 29-30" inseam and when I stop at a light my toes are holding me up.:goofygrin:

Doesnt bother me though because I have many years experiance on scoots and a larger bike can be bothersome when your short. I think what helps me out more than most (yeup its bragging time) I really beleive my sense of balance is better ( lots of dirt bike time) than the average rider. Heck after a 20+ year break in riding I practiced one week with my 75 and went to DMV and passed there riding test (comperable to the advanced rider safety course) first time...........:weightlifter:

Sit the 84 and youll feel a little better about the height issue!:jumper:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Harrystoy wrote:
Timekeeper wrote:

Timekeeper
Timekeeper, its a short height (in the seat)model!

Im 5'6 with a 29-30" inseam and when I stop at a light my toes are holding me up.:goofygrin:

Doesnt bother me though because I have many years experiance on scoots and a larger bike can be bothersome when your short. I think what helps me out more than most (yeup its bragging time) I really beleive my sense of balance is better ( lots of dirt bike time) than the average rider. Heck after a 20+ year break in riding I practiced one week with my 75 and went to DMV and passed there riding test (comperable to the advanced rider safety course) first time...........:weightlifter:

Sit the 84 and youll feel a little better about the height issue!:jumper:
I agree and this has been intriguing me so like usual I have been observing. What I have realized is there are riders who actually support their bike totally at stops. ie, they put a foot down and act just like side stands. Others keep the bike balanced, even moving back and forth a little bit "Bouncing" slowly off their toes.

I am a bouncer myself, but I have been intentionally trying the side stand approach and you know what? Even at 6' that bike is hard to hold up!!

Look I am not trying to run down people using the side stand approach, you probably just fell into it over the years without thinking about it and with lighter machines you get away with it. With a Wing? I see a problem, (Feel lucky you don't have a top heavy Venture!!)

I would like someone who has this problem to try the bouncing technique, I suspect it might just work.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

As I mentioned earlier, my H-D has the best seat height but I wouldn't think for a moment of not putting both feet down. the foot position on the harley is so far forward that if you kept your right foot up and started to lean that way you would never get your foot down in time. on my 1000 I suppose I am more on the balls of both feet than flat down... on the 1200... well it has a training wheel on the side

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
What I have realized is there are riders who actually support their bike totally at stops. ie, they put a foot down and act just like side stands. Others keep the bike balanced, even moving back and forth a little bit "Bouncing" slowly off their toes.
Exactly, thats what I do as well. no hands just my feet (toes really) lightly holding her up and every once in a while slightly boucing left and right for fun!:grinner:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Harrystoy wrote:
Brojees wrote:
What I have realized is there are riders who actually support their bike totally at stops. ie, they put a foot down and act just like side stands. Others keep the bike balanced, even moving back and forth a little bit "Bouncing" slowly off their toes.
Exactly, thats what I do as well. no hands just my feet (toes really) lightly holding her up and every once in a while slightly boucing left and right for fun!:grinner:
Dirt bike and trials experience seems to be different and I never really realized it. But now I am acutely aware of the people that are not balancing their bike when stopped, but propping it. I think you are the shortest one to have posted on this thread, (Although we have the same inseam) and as a balancer you don't have any problem we may of stumbled on an answer.

Now we need someone tactful to spread it!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

I'm only 5'8" and ride a 1200 no worries. Never riden a 1000 however

Andrew

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I recently sold the seat my 1200 came with, it was under cut for somebody 5'2", I'm 6'3"!

so I'm suprised that you had difficulty getting a shorter seat or even having your own modified.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Well, from what I've read, the 1200 has about 2 inches less ride height than a 1000, it is even a lower ride height than my 1100, so it would help a shorter person, even though the 1200 is heavier.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.