Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way into work, hit a slick patch while making a right turn and went down. I was on the ground in about a 1/2 second. Been through that same intersection many times, so my best guess is the foggy conditions we had this morning condensed some water on the center patch and I hit part of that when turning.

Fortunately, me and the bike aren't TOO much worse for the wear. Speed was under 10 mph I would say. A little sore in the right shoulder and a few other spots. Messed up the right mirror and some of the side plastic. The chrome guards took most of the hit and slide. Amazingly little damage for sliding probably 10 to 15 feet at least.

Gonna have the insurance adjuster still take a look at it. I have Progressive, so we'll see how that goes. Oh, and it's my birthday today. I guess the best present is being able to walk (or better yet, ride) away. :)

Hopefully, this is my "not if, but when" moment.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
So sorry about your spill but regardless I think it's important that we all say "Happy Birthday" and I hope that the rest of your day goes better!

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
I second that motion ..HAPPY BIRTHDAY..........

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK!!!
Happy Birthday!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few years back.

Early AM the sprinklers had overshot the sidewalk, so I was further from the curb than usual as I turned into the police stations parking lot. The driveway has a cement transition then brick laid pavement. I was turning very carefully and barely touched the gas whilst keeping the bike vertical, and then found my right shoulder on the ground with the bike sideways to the line of travel, all within less than 0.5 seconds.
Turns out that the day before the sewer lines had burst one block to the east and flooded that driveway intersection, thus leaving it clean, but slicker than snot. After getting up I found that I could barely even stand on that surface where the rear tire broke loose, it was that slick.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
I too am glad to hear it wasn't any worse. I hope you have a Happy Birthday anyway!

John

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
sorry! happy birthday! glad your ok, i've slid twice once last week. amazing how litle damage due to ballence and slide on crash bars.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Happy birthday and welcome to the club. I haven't gone down on my 'Wings other than those when the bike is stopped or nearly so. I've tried that out on my 1100, 1500 and 1800. The worst one was on a Yamaha 305 in Ketchikan, AK when I was turning into the post office parking lot off the main drag. I was tooling along somewhat briskly and the moment I started to turn left across the road the bike low sided me and slid off across the road while I took a more down the road trajectory. Lucky for the bike and me on our seperate journeys neither of us hit anything or were hit by anything. No real damage done the thick coat of black ice didn't damage the bike or me. I got by with some impressive bruises, if they'd all been in a more discreet part of my body I'd have shown them off as they began to heal and turn the most amazing shades of black, blue and yellow.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Happy Birthday.

Glad you weren't hurt!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
:birthday:

I had a spill a several years ago turning a corner. Just a novice bonehead riding mistake on my part. I came out of a wet gravel parking lot and had some mud on tires. made a stop at light proceeded to turn right and out from under me she went. Pretty embarrassing to say the least. Minimal scratches to engine guards and a life long lesson etched in the back of my mind.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been away from the computer for a little while. Thanks for all the birthday and other good wishes. Shoulder soreness has pretty much gone away, but my left thumb is still buggin me. Must have hit it or jammed it in the fall. Better than it was though, so all is good. Insurance guy is supposed to take a look at it tomorrow. He gave me the NADA values on the phone and they were lower than I thought they'd be. Can't imagine for the light damage that it would be totaled. Sure hope not.

Happy Birthday. I have a set of mirrors you can have. They're white but yours if you want them.
Kimswang - sure appreciate the offer. I'll let you know after tomorrow :)

Thanks again to all.
Tom

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.