Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went to church this morning and it was great "The River Jordans" gospel singing group was there and as usual they were wonderful. Came home, looked at my 86 Aspencade and said I've got to do it some time so why not right now. I have a 250 Rebel so im not a complete novice but what a huge difference. Talk about being in your glory....wow. High speed was a piece of cake of course but when it came to a red light or a corner now that was a different story. Didn't have much trouble but I was a nervous wreck. The slower I went the more nervous I got. But after 21 miles I was back home again and just got out of the shower.

One thing that bothered me was the clunking sound as I changed gears. OD was the only gear that didn't do it. I tried different amounts of clutch and that made no difference. I have always squeezed the clutch all the way before shifting so it was a surprise when I heard the clunk. Now im wondering if a oil change is necessary before I ride it again. At least that is the case with my Rebel.

No smoke at all since I keep it on the center stand. It's going to take a number of rides before I take my wife on a ride with me thats for sure.

Many thanks for all the info you guys have posted here in this forum. I've read quite a few pages. :applause:I applaud you all.

Harold

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
The clunking is normal.
+1. My '87 Aspy has done it since I bought it 3 years ago, and my mechanic tells me it is normal.

Welcome!!:waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys, I surely do appreciate the input. The oil in my bike looks like it is new.

Now to figure out how to use the cruise control.

i've got so much to learn and loving every minute of it. Huge thunderstorm just west of Ocala so im not even able to go out and look at it.

Harold

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

TXRLGL1500 wrote:
Ditto on the clunking being normal.
Yep, even in the 1800.

You'll have to keep a check on the speed until you get used to it, or you may find yourself riding a lot faster than you intended. I started on a VTX 600, was considering an 1100 Sabre. On a trial run with the 1100 I thought I was going about 45, but when I checked the speed I was at 75. Going from a chainto adrive shaft and a heavier bike just makes a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

When I left the park here Geezerglider there was no traffic coming from either direction which made me happy so I got right into 2nd gear and on up to 5th. When I looked down at the speed I was doing 65 in a 55 MPH zone. Like you said, it makes a big difference. I was truely surprised to see how fast it went to 65. Of course the first traffic light I came to was red so panic set in. Route 441 goes right past our RV park and i had a wonderful but nervous ride. Got to get a lot of slow riding, parking lot type practice in.
Big storm is just outside Ocala so I've also got to get off this pooter and unplug everything. Florida.....lighting capitol of the world.

Harold

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Enjoy your GL.
I think the Rebel MC is really neat, and if I weren't a "full figured" guy, I would get one.
I looked up your call sign, and congratulations on your recent upgrade!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks KC9KAS, much appreciated. I keep checking the weather west of us here and it looks like the storm is going to completely dissipate before it reaches Florida.

Yes, I recently got back into ham radio after being silent since 1976 when I retired from the Air Force. Bought a used ICOM IC718 but im not very active, mostly CW actually.

Harold

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Harold, You might want to go out for a ride & have your wife follow you in her car. When I had my '86 Aspy, The speedometer was off. It read about 5mph FASTER then I was really going (@60mph). I posted a question here about the speedometers on these bike & most said that the 1200's are know to be off just a bit. So if you have here track you, then you'll know how much you need to adjust the reading to be right. Just an FYI.:?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

at times the 1800 will clunk, depending on load. you can try not backing off the throttle as much and shift when the bike is not accelerating or deccelerating

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Sounds like a good idea Carl. Hope my 2008 Toyota is accurate. lol

Harold

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

The notorious Honda "Clunk-O-matic" is about as common to these bikes as the turbine sound in second and third.

I found when I went to Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil, the clunking was noticeably reduced.

No, I'm not starting the oil thread, AGAIN!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hi bcassel....My bike came with a Honda GoldWing 1984-1987 Service Manual. On page 3-12 it recommends SAE 20W-40 to 20W-50 where outdoor temp's are above 90 degrees and that is what it is like here in Ocala almost every day all Summer long. I have a nephew that has owned an awful lot of motorcycles and he highly recommends Castoral motor oil. Like you I surely do not want to start an oil thread. So anyway, I am going to change the oil as soon as I can get to our Honda dealer here and buy a new filter.
Thanks for the post, much appreciated.

Harold

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

What ever brand of oil you choose, just make sure it is specifically designed for motorcycles w/o friction reducing addatives.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Yes, my nephew made it very clear to me that running addatives was very dangerous. I guess it won't hurt if it is added to the gasoline but in the oil it can do a lot of damage. I'm a good listener. :applause:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i remember my 1st ride on my wing after we got the carbs all squared away i was smiling from ear to ear its great

hope to hear many more good stories from ya

keep the rubber side down

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Welcome Jaymom, You will learn to deal with the clunking, between technique, oil and dealing with a quieter bike so you can hear more sounds, you'll get better at it as I have over the past couple of weeks. Your fear locations, stop lights, intersections etc... had me skeptical as well, but the more I ride, the more the fear is over come.

Riding 2 up? My wife just started riding with me yesterday and other than stops and starts, I don't know shes back there, till she hugs me.......

I use to work with a lady in Ocala 12 years or so ago. She ran a fire equipment company, nice town to layover in during the winter months.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks jobe05 appreciate the encouragement. We moved to Ocala from Spokane, WA. on 1 Oct 2004 and we love it here.

Hope to get up to N.C. sometime in the near future when Im able to get my wife on the back of this GW which just might take some doing.

Harold

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

The CLUNK is unfortunately normal. Out of 6 bikes I own, including a 2004 Rebel, the Goldwing is the only one you can hear being shifted from 50 feet away. Mine got noticeably better when I removed the floorboards and heel and toe shifter it came with, and went back to stock pegs and shifter. WOW, what a difference. It felt 300 pounds lighter, and shifted and handled MUCH better. I totally recommend 20w50 oil, of any type or brand. I use Castrol GTX 20w50 just because it is my personal favorite and I have been using it for decades. You don't need motorcycle specific oil, as long as it is NOT energy conserving, and no 20w50 is. You can use motorcycle specific or synthetic if you want, but I have no proof it is any better. Main thing is to change it often. I change my oil every 3000 miles, except in the Rebel and XT225, those small engines are hard on oil, I change it every 1000 miles in those.

Also into amateur radio, but don't mess with it much anymore, got started back in '82, barely passed the 5 WPM code test, and only made it to technician. Now that the code is gone, I could easy upgrade, but can't afford a decent HF radio, actually don't want a newer one, I would like to have an old tube radio. Something I can actually work on. It was the concept of radio communication, and the love of building gadgets like radios that got me interested in the first place. Not really into "rag chewing" which is mostly what goes on on the 2M/440 repeaters. Much prefer the technical aspect of radio. I do carry a 2M/440 HT around sometimes, but don't use it much. It comes in great for emergencies when the cell phone don't work. In the winter I often ride 50-60 miles out into the AZ desert on my dual sport bike and camp, and I take the HT and a portable J pole antenna, and can hit repeaters 100 miles away with the radio connected to the bikes battery. Jerry, N7MUB

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.