Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Perhaps the motorcycle manufacturers are to blame. They’ve made their products so reliable that we take them for granted. We almost feel that if we just keep our bike’s tank full and spoon new rubber on the rims when necessary, we’ve got our machinery handled. Well, that’s not quite true, and consequently, many riders tend to overlook basic maintenance for extended periods. While lots of riders have the off-season in which they have the time away from riding to take care of annual upkeep, many little things need to be done on a regular basis throughout the riding season.
Read more about the Top 10 Overlooked Maintenance Items at Motorcycle.com.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Good article. Some of the items definitely relate to our GoldWing such as lube throttle cables,
grease the side and centerstand pivots and springs + ck for everything is tight!
Not stuff we see threads on normally.

Most of us know to replace coolant every 2 years, same with brake fluid- every year for the more aggressive brakers,
and the engine/trans oil with its many threads on what to use.

Thanks Motorcycle.com for another good post! You are a great source of information.

·
Professional Curmudgeon
112 Posts
Is there "How To" videos on lubing the throttle cables and changing the brake & clutch fluids?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Is there "How To" videos on lubing the throttle cables and changing the brake & clutch fluids?
Lots of info on the internet regarding your question. 1800 clutch fluid change is quite easy, brakes are a bit more complicated. May want to look into speed bleeders so it is easier to do yourself.

Read the article, good information, but we are creatures of habit. Always good to be reminded. Apply these 10 items to your car/truck and how many of us do the same for these vehicles. I submit that we take better care of our bikes than our other modes of transport even if we miss some of these recommendations.

Cheers

·
Administrator
58,185 Posts

Ah, this thread came up again, just 5 minutes after I brought up another thread on this same subject mentioning that "someone" whom I could not remember their name, was asking about this subject.

http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/mo-wrenching-how-to-lube-cables

Look at the other New Posts and you will see a thread that just popped up from the archives ( just an old thread in Technical forum ) and I mentioned this same link.

http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/mo-wrenching-how-to-lube-cables

Rednaxs60

mentions a lot of good info also.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,042 Posts
Most of the old bikes i work on never had the steering head, swing arm pivot, speedometer drive or drive shaft greased since new. When i did the 450, the wheel bearings had the original 1972 grease in them. It pains me when someone puts an old bike back on the road without servicing this stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.