Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am being told that the top and side covers for the GL 1000 are interchangeable. I am looking at a set on eBay (that will end it's auction in three hours) that claim they will fit the '76-'80's models. IS THIS TRUE?

I have a '79 model GL1000 and want to be sure this set will fit my bike.

Please advise as soon as possible. The set is listed at the URL ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4556833737&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

PLEASE REPLY ASAP

Thanks,

Rick

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Someone will surely have an answer for you soon. At least this will put your post back to the top. I don't know anything about 1000s.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

They only made GL1000's from '75 to '79. Not sure where he got 80's from, but it doesn't suprise me at all.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

rickdiefenderfer wrote:
And so Raymond, are the top and side covers interchangeable for all GL 1000 between '76 and '79?

Thanks,

Rick
The covers were the same on the '75-'77 models. In '78 they went toa different style tank top cover (maybe the tank side covers as well), and different style battery and rear brake covers (the covers below the seat). In '80 they came out with the GL1100. To match the part numbers go to http://www.goldwinginfo.com Some of the differing part numbers have to do with paint color. If you have a '78-'79 stick with those years. '75-'77 stick with those years and you should be fine.

The covers on the ebay listing look like they came off a '75 judging by the paint color.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the 78-79 false tank and side covers are different than the 75-77 and 80 later covers

you need to find ones speciacally for '78-79. btw, I do have a spare set of tank covers, one is blue and the other is black

the ebay ones you show are definetly from 75-77 and will NOT fit your bike

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the information! You guyz are great help. NowI know to focus on finding a set of tank and side covers off a '78 or '79 model GL1000. Anybody have a set to sell?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.