Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On a GL1500 I was just reading about the Torque Monster Power Exhaust system and after looking at the photo of them, What would the diffrence be if I tookthe collector off the bike and just rn a pipe from the headers to the exhaust mufflers. So it would be a straight thru shot? Any info on this?

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

That would work and not cause problems, any power loss or gain would be a matter of suck it and see.
A few aftermarket exhaust systems (Motad for one) do away with the collector box altogether and it doesn't affect performance in a bad way.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That's what I was wondering is doing away with the collector bxand just connect my after market muffler straight to the headers.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Doing away with themiddle chamberand running a seperate individual pipe from left header to left muffler and right header to right muffler means that each side exhaust solely through that side's muffler.

The chamber let's the gasses mix and loose velocity in a big room and then the total mass get's to use both mufflers which greatly mutes the sound waves from individual pulses of exhaust and allows some crossover use of muffler capacity .... the right side get's to benifit from the spaces between left side pulses and vice versa.

You'ld think they both get to breath easier .... except for that chamber allowing a velocity loss .... which in part must be reaccelerated as the gasses find their way to the exits from the chamber. It's a setup that provides ample muffler capacity and reasonable exhaust tuning, makes it "quiet".

The Torque Monster is I believe ... somewhat like the Xtractor, it eliminates the middle chamber and the slowing of velocitty in a mixing bowl and the need to the reaccelerate exhaust gasses by keeping the gas velocity constant ... butthe Xtractor is also fitted with an "X" over (that allows excess pressure from the right to bleed into voids between exhaust pulses of the left and vice versa).

It makes for a sporty tone and in the case of the Xtractor, a modest power and torque increase.

Anyway, I think the seperate individual pipes for left and right as suggested in this thread would yield a different sound and likely performreasonably.I'ld be curious to hear / feel results, or even a dyno chart of that compared to stock onsame bike?

I lovethe Xtractor, PO put it on not long before I purchased it, all stainless steel, I'll will it to somebody if I get rid of the trike. It wasn't cheap either, he gave me all reciepts!

I have a stock chamber from Ebay I bought cheap last yearto try as wife was tired of noise she said, but first ride with it was to another state's Rally last summer and gas mileage fell and I swear .... felt like bike was sluggish. Wife also said she liked the tone with the Xtractor before I changed it, just waned it quieter.

So I put Xtractor back on and made me some tube type resonators (much like the core of a "glass pack" muffler) of some 14" long 1.5"OD exh tubing, I bent some old 1/4" rod into 1.5" ID circles and welded in place at each end of the tubing.I thendrilled a bunch of5/16" holes in the 1.5" core the whole length and around it and then wrapped itwith fibreglass matting .... tieing it all off with some fine stainless steel wire I had on a spool. Slid them up into the extended 2" ID tail pipesthat had been welded on the stock mufflers (I have some chrome tips slid up over them as well) (it's a trike and I like exhaust goiing out theback). The 1.5" OD tubing I used is some larger than the core pipe exiting the stock mufflers inside the chrome end caps / tips so no restriction there. Exhaust gasses have cooled by then so denser, and at lower velocity.

Now?.... we both love it! Nice sporty tone now, still good power, but that drone-buzz gone.

X-Tractor / Torque Monster / Stock Chamber Comparison DynoChart

X-Tractor compared to chamber.

On our trike above lower support for reciever hitch.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hmmm I see the difference between the torque monster and the x tractor. The x tractor still mixes the 2 sides. Not as much as the stock chamber though. The torque monster how ever does not mix them at all.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

The GL1500 stock setup is basically the same as all the other GL systems. The center box is just a BIG balance pipe.

It is there to do all the things mentioned above to even out flow and quieten the sound to get the tone/pitch the developers envisioned when they designed the bike.

Removing the balance box (call a spade a spade) shouldn't affect performance much (if at all), in fact it would introduce improved "scavenging", which basically helps to fill the cylinder with new fuel/air mixture (Google it).

With the cost of a new collector running at round the $600 or more it's a high priced item which you, performance wise, don't really need. In fact if you can get someone to bend some pipe for you you could be done for $50 of materials (or less).

If mine goes, that's the way i'm going.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Dave I think that's what I'm going to try next week to see how it will help or not. I will post my results when I am done and provide pictures too

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

We love pictures :blowingup:

Dave.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I have after market mufflers sorta now on the bike. I think they are straight thru no baffles. We love the sound and the looks of them. Simulair to the hollywood pipes but they are turned down I

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Hey GhostRider...

In your original post you talk about going with a pipe from the header otulet straight to the muffler's inlet.

Both of the pipes discussed so far have quite a bit of flowing length -- meaning that the exaust flow runs through more than a foot of pipe between the headder and the muffler...(the Xtractor has a slightly longer path and that cross-over bit).

Length after the headder is often a tuning point (we used to use hot-melt crayons to figure pipe lengths so that a high-pressure area in the exhaust wouldn't be at a restrictive bend or muffling device...

Nothing terribly scientific to offer here, but the shorter pipe that I think you're talking abuot may move some of the sweetspot above the bikes RPM range...

I'll be anxious to hear (TorquMonster is what I've got, if you need photos or ...)

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Yes I would like to see some photos

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Here is a picture of my bike the other day after I reassebled it and you can see the pies or mufflers if you want to call them that that I have on it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

The picture in my avatare is the same bike just 3 weeks ago. Pretty drastic for speakers and a carb over haul hahahahahahaha

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Ghost_Rider wrote:
The picture in my avatare is the same bike just 3 weeks ago. Pretty drastic for speakers and a carb over haul hahahahahahaha
I'ld say ! :thumbsup:

Got any pics of that "Torque Monster" itself, either on the floor or on the bike?

:blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

No I dont have it yet and I maybe looking into having a muffler shop make i for me next week

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
imported post

I have the Torquemonsters, Hollywood Shorts, and baffles on order. They will be going on a 2000 SE.
The graph of horsepower and torque varies with each supplier.
The reasons for my decision are, new chrome, (my stock units are not in the best of shape), a modest increase in hp and torque, and a throatier sound. I ordered the baffles just in case I get a buzz or resonance sound that will bother me.

Carl

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.