Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm new to GoldWings can anyone tell me the preload setting for a 1979 1000cc Goldwing's steering stem?
TIA
KZCSI

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Hey, it looks like I dragged another one over from the KZ site!

Sorry I can't help you with the exact setting, except to note that if it's an original bearing, you may want to look at replacing it. Many wings are really loose.

What I did to tighten my stem was to simply put the bike on centerstand, and jack up the front so the wheel is off the ground. Then I kept tightening until the front end would just barely flop over from center when pushed.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hi V and welcome to the forum. 14psi is the setting, but you are probably better off adjusting it by feel. Torqueing to a book setting isn't always a great idea on steering as variations in bearings will either make it too tight or too sloppy, just take the book setting as a guide. Do it by hand yourself until it feels right, ie no binding or tight spots and not too loose either.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hey Phil,
Thanks for the connection to this site.
I learned a lesson last year about steering head bearings that I'll not soon forget.
Your just barely flop method is very similar to the "Bounce" method where you adjust the bearing till the front end will just roll over and land on the steering stop without bouncing. I can tell you for a fact that the Bounce method will give you a too tightly adjusted bearing. I fought a high speed wobble on my Valkyrie for two years. I finally eliminated it by replacing the stem bearings and following the factory method of adjusting the preload. The result is a rock stable 1520CC rocket that I've run up to 115MPH with no sign of the dreaded wobble. When I put it back up on the stand and tried the bounce test it was so loose that it bounced twice on one side and three times on the other. The important thing is that it no longer wobbled.
Thanks
Bill
KZCSI

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey Brian,
I assume that by 14psi you meant 14 foot pounds. The factory setting for my Valkyrie is 12 foot pounds. On the Valk the manual says to seat the bearing with 30 foot pounds of preload and then turn it lock to lock five times then loosen it and retorque it to 12 foot pounds. Is there any thing like that in the Gold wing manual? If I owned the bike, I'd buy a manual but I'm just doing a favor for a friend on this one.
TIA
KZCSI

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.