Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Changed the oil on my 98 Goldwing over the weekend but did not have a torque wrench.

Is it crucial that I take the bike to my Honda dealer to check thetorqueon the fitting of thenew oil filter and the drain bolt,as theowner's manual states? I tightenedthem bothtoapproximately the feel of thembefore I started.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

I'd say if it's not leaking it's probably ok. I've never torque wrenched mine and haven't had any problems that I'm aware of.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

For as much as they are going to charge you to check the torque, you can go down to shucks and pick up a nice micrometer style torque wrench, and do it yourself many many times. ($50)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The filter is the same as on your car, do you torque it? Oil the gasket, spin it down snug, then another 1/8th turn. Check it after running a bit for any leaking. Drain plug should be well snugged down, a good tug with an 8" wrench. Anyone here actually torque the drain plug?

:stumped::baffled:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

That's what I figured....but your feedback brings peace of mind. What a great website this is; I'm amazed.

Now I'mon my wayout for acan of Seafoam at Napa.Hopefully that will clean out the carbs on my 98 SE so it doesnt take so darn long to warm up!!!!

Have a blessed and safe Easter weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.