Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-807.html

1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 in. drive Click Torque Wrenchesare on sale at Harbor Freight till June 30th

$19.99

Got some being picked up for me and I will get them at NASSIR 5. ( thanks Ty)

( we don't get these good deals in Canada) and if we do..They are always out of stock by the time I get there..LOL:action:

Posted just in case someone else has been looking for them.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I bought one of their 1/4" drive torque wrenches a few years ago. I tested it in my vise with a fish scale to see how accurate it was and how repeatable the measurements were. It actually is pretty good, repeatability was good and the accuracy was as good as my expensive 3/8" torque wrench. Not quite as smooth in the ratcheting but acceptable. Not a bad deal at all.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Clicker torque wrenches have one problem. You click them once and then a couple more times. Each time drives the torque up a little. I have the old fashioned flex beam wrenches because I do not double or triple click them.

My preferred was is to torque the fastener to a very low torque and then turn the fastener so many degrees past that. Also use micrometers to measure bolt stretch. Again it is one of the most accurate and used on things like connecting rod bolts on aircraft powerplants.

Regardless of torque wrench or turning X amount after a low torque setting it is all about fastener stretch.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

As much as fastener stretch, friction in the threads and under the bolt head influence clamping pressure, which is the main purpose of bolting things together, a lot. There are tables available showing the difference in clamping pressure vs. dry torquing, using oil, and using grease as well as Moly paste.

BTW - when I was testing out HF's 1/4" torque wrench I couldn't measure any change in torque after ten pulls. For testing I used a digital fish scale pulling at right angles six inches out from the ratchet center. I don't remember the numbers but I pulled the wrench then moved the ratchet 180 degrees and repeated. I saw a few inch/ounces difference in the pulls but they were close to the setting and varied on both sides of the setting. Not bad performance for a cheap wrench.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

monkeytrucker wrote:
Also use micrometers to measure bolt stretch. Again it is one of the most accurate and used on things like connecting rod bolts on aircraft powerplants.
I always liked torquing the prop hub bolts for Hamilton Standard props used on the P-3. We used some three footpipes that wereweldedto the wrenches for added leverage. Just had to tighten the hell out of the bolts until the bolts stretch to the desired length. After a day of torquing hubbolts, there was no need to go to the gym for a work-out.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Bought a torque wrench once. And that's how many times I used it too. Still not a bad price.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I had to leave my tool boxes on the job site when I got my back hurt, when I came back to get my tools, seems a few of my fellow co-workers had "popped" my locks took about $5000.00 of my Snap-on tools...After lots of talking with the cmpany who wanted at first to replace my Snap-on tools with Proto, and yes Harbor Frieght tools, decided once I filed a complaint with the company we were contracted to, to do the "Right Thing"...They did replaced my stolen tools...But at $19.99 each I might just go and buy those for spares....My Snap-on torque wrenches haven't been calibrated in over 15 years???? Just saying...

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

redbaron wrote:
I had to leave my tool boxes on the job site when I got my back hurt, when I came back to get my tools, seems a few of my fellow co-workers had "popped" my locks took about $5000.00 of my Snap-on tools...After lots of talking with the cmpany who wanted at first to replace my Snap-on tools with Proto, and yes Harbor Frieght tools, decided once I filed a complaint with the company we were contracted to, to do the "Right Thing"...They did replaced my stolen tools...But at $19.99 each I might just go and buy those  for spares....My Snap-on torque wrenches haven't been calibrated in over 15 years???? Just saying...
Co workers broke into and stole your Snap On tools?!! Wow. I would have opened a can of whoop ass in that shop. Nothing lower than messing with a mans tools that he earns a living with. Lowlifes every one of them. :thumbsdown:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.