Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I decided a while back to get my wing repainted due to a bit of minor damage from when someone backed into it.I also want a different colour.I decided rather then have the body shop just mask everything,I would remove all panels,the bike will look better and should be cheaper,less work for the shop to do.I had a good friend help me and it took us just under 3 hours to get it done.

So yeah,we removed all panels,all 34 of them and they are now on their way to the body shop and I will send another note once all panels are painted and the bike is re-assembled. Any questions or comments please ask and thanks

***** I will attach a pic of my stripped down wing if I can figure out how to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

If you just have one picture, put it on your computer (where you know where its located, i.e. desktop), and if you look below the text box there is an attachment area with a browse button. As long as the picture isnt more than 512K in size, that's the fastest way. If you have a number of pix go to your gallery and toss them in there.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Lindeman, ? now that you have it apart would you do it again? also do you think that you will scratch the new panels putting them back on?or are they pretty easy.you don't have to answer this ? but what was a ball park price you got to repaint those,I ask because I was thinking here awhile back of doing the same. also what color did you go with?

scott

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

hi there

thanks for your reply

YES I would definately do it again,

between myself anda friend,it took us under 3 hours to tear it apart and will take 2-3 weekends to put it back together, as far as scratching the panels when replacing them time is all you need to do it without doing any damage, but I always knew it had minor damage,and always wanted to bring it back to showroom condition ,even though it is 10 years old.I am also replaceing all scratched/damaged emblems/lettering/chrome,got to do it right!

The quote I got from the body shop was $600-$700 but keep in mind that is me doing a lot of the leg work,(removing and replacing all panels)

Mechanically it is sound, I do regular oil changes,final drive fluid changes and all the rest of the minor stuff to make sure this bike lasts years and years.

I thought I had a colour picked out which was pearl hot rod yellow,which the 2001 Honda goldwing as painted but after my wife telling me she would never ride on a yellow bike,she picked out dark charcoal mettalic,LOL

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Hahahaha tell her you will make her half charcoal and your half yellow...hahhahh... I also like that yellow.OK thanks for the info I think thats not a bad price I will check into it. Thanks again!!

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Now's certainly the time to clean all them places you never see when the panels are on.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

Yellow is my choice too.

I want to be seen out there. Those dark colors disappear all too easy.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

:shock:Dude!! A yellow bike, with charcoal metallic panels!!! Would look killer! I saw one at Panama City Beach last summer like that, and it had tiny black and white checkerboard pinstriping separating the panel color from the yellow. I'm tellin ya, it was a head turner!!! Have fun and good luck with it! jimsjinx:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

...So yeah,we removed all panels,all 34 of them ...
There is actually 40 pieces on a GL1500, but who's counting. Unless you have some chrome replacement covers, you lost 6 pieces, ha.

I figure you saved $2,000 - $2,500. If he is charging $600-$700 that is not much. Premium paint materials for BC/CC would run ~$200-$300 and that would not leave much for prep work or profit. If you are covering that cost, good. Otherwise, it sounds too cheap.

Prep is everything. Hopefully your painter will not paint the parts unless theyare perfect. If you did a real good job, hopefully everything comes out fantastic.

Since you would bewilling to do this all over again, that's great. Next time, you may even want to try and paint it yourself so the shop would have even less work to do. Send us a picture of Humpty-Dumpty.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

A friend of mine was just up at your post office doing a volume count. From what he said about the snow up there, you are like me, and looking for bike-related projects to get us through the last three weeks of winter.

The Honda 750 (former owner John Boy) should be stripped down and painting. Otherwise it was a good ride a few days ago.

The Wing needs a lot of touching up...also running well.

As for the Honda 90, Ciaran is going to get a good parts order from me once my friend Ivan gets back from Texas next month and I figure out what parts he has for the 90.

You gotta "maximize the moment"!:headbanger:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Lindeman ~ Are you gonna do any mechanical repairs / service?

DeDub

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

That look totally Mel Gibson/Mad Maxx!!!

Are you the toecutter? ;)

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

DeDubya:

When you live in Mitchell, Ontario, the prevailing weather conditions impel you to find plenty of servicing to do to while away the kind of winter that you don't have to deal with in the sunny Ozarks.

I am kind of curious where Lindeman gets his bike worked on because I don't think Mitchell is a "Mecca For Motorcycle Mechanics".

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

dean wrote:
DeDubya:

When you live in Mitchell, Ontario, the prevailing weather conditions impel you to find plenty of servicing to do to while away the kind of winter that you don't have to deal with in the sunny Ozarks.

I am kind of curious where Lindeman gets his bike worked on because I don't think Mitchell is a "Mecca For Motorcycle Mechanics".
Good point dean.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

That pearl hot rod yellow is Smoking! Too bad you were *

Tell you what, leave it naked and take her for a ride saying if I can't have me hot rod yellow there ain't no use in having the panels!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Tell you what, leave it naked and take her for a ride saying if I can't have me hot rod yellow there ain't no use in having the panels!
I agree. Take if for a ride around the neighborhood and get that Mad Max feel. That what I did.For some reason, it remindsmeof a Yamaha VMAX. You definitely will not pick up chicks. You need aHarley for that.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

OK all you biker guru's,I got my wing back together,between wifey and I we went with "Brilliant Black" and we both love it,check it out

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

Holy Toledo, what a dramatic change!

Awesome looking, and I am jealous all the way through.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Dude, U R da man !!! Now, that's what I'm talking about.

In the picture, it looks cold. No green trees andthat white $hit on the ground.

Now you are ready for spring to do some serious riding to show off your new ride.

Enjoy it !!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.