Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
22,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had used vinegar to remove house paint from hinges, however, I've had some soaking for 3 days and no joy. Paint is cleaner, but still sticking to the brass quite well. Is there something I'm missing? :unsure: Is my memory deceiving me? :unsure: What should I be soaking them in? :unsure:

·
Registered
641 Posts
How about a can of that nasty old-fashioned paint stripper. Won't hurt the brass any and will make fast work of the paint.

·
Administrator
25,027 Posts
Try oven cleaner.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Citrus strip usually works pretty good and no fumes to run you out of the place. Just takes a little longer then the chemical strippers.

·
Administrator
22,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, they are stripped. Put them in water with baking soda overnight and then boiled that for 20 minutes or so and the paint just came off in semi-solid masses. However, the brass is so stained I will probably replace them anyway.

·
Registered
860 Posts
You don't seem very lazy to me! you seem very patient. shoot after all that effort (trying to remember/using vinegar/waiting 3 days/Posting about it/Boiling them/Posting again...ect.) a little more effort while Social distancing yourself from the store- use a fine sand paper and a polish like Mothers or some such thing..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts