Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
61,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

93 1500 Asp Took off the space panel and center console and can reach up behind the speedo and can touch the speedo cable nut.. Too tight for old fingers.. Can I get to the nut from the front through the head light ?? Or is there a easier way, any suggestions.........

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Not sure what you're doing, but this was a response to a similar question from Rudy. You may have already seen this, because I also saw your name in the same general area.

You don't need to lube it. It is already lubed.

The speedo cable comes out by coming down from the top through a loop in the inside of the fairing frame, through the plastic wind plate at the bottom of the fairing and through the retainer loop on the fork at the fender.

Most folks like to tie a string to the old cable at the top and pull that through as you remove the old cable, then pull the new one back up using the string.

You remove the left inner plastic fairing skirt where the bars almost touch it.

Then you use your small right hand in contortional positions, ignoring the pain from the plastic piece that is poking you from the front dash to reach up and under to get the nut loose and work the cable nut off from the threads.

If it is too tight to break loose, you can use a pair of slip joint pliers to get things started but you will be doing it blind and in braille.

Still it's better than removing the instrument cluster.

The end at the wheel detaches first and goes back on last.

Last edited on Sun Jun 10th, 2007 02:33 pm by Rudy

·
Premium Member
61,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Mikef
I'm trying to replace the speedo cable..
I read Rudy's explanation and I've got that part figure out.. I can't break that darn nut lose.. You're right about blind braille and pain..You've been there before.. There's a bunch of small wires in the way and cutting one would be a real mess.. I'll try the slip pliers but if all else fails..........
How does one remove the instrument cluster ??

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
How does one remove the instrument cluster ??
Painfully. You have to remove the dash panel to get to the instrument cluster.
To remove the dash panel you have to remove the two snapped-in dash vents (often the hardest part) and the headlamp adjuster knob, nut and washer and on some models, the heat vent knob on the right side.
To get the the dash panel out the windshield has to be at least loose if not removed.
To remove the windshield you need to remove the front fairing cover.
To remove the front fairing cover you will need to remove the two windshield latch screws that mount one to each side of the fairing cover.
To get at those you will either need to remove the two mirrors or fudge it by popping the mirror trim piece loose at the bottom and out of the spring latch and push it back to expose the two screws.
To remove the mirrors (preferred to prevent scratching up the mirror trim, break the rubber mirror boots loose and remove the three screws holding the mirrors in place on each side. To get at them you will need to bend the mirrors forward and back (they are designed to do this) to reveal each of the screws.

Other than that, you need to remove the inner fairing wind trays and bend enough of the top shelter arms where they meet the dash panels and you also need to remove the fairing pocket covers and pockets to get the dash clear.

While you are in there, consider speaker replacement as well as instrument lamps.

I think the braile pliers would be more fun, however. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
61,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hell who needs a speedometer anyway.. I'll just wet a finger and hold it into the wind or just slit my wrist..
Thanks guys for the information.. I'll make the pliers work.. The main thing I was worried about was all the small wires in the way you can only feel..

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Mine doesn't have any wires in the way there so I'm wondering why yours does...

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Just a thought but you may get a better grip with household rubber gloves ?

Eric

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

My friend snapped off the plastic middle section that goes over the steering section and then had the wheels turned hard left and that gave him enough room.

·
Premium Member
61,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

There's a bunch of very small wires in the area of the cable.. I just assumed they went to the idiot lights.. I'm going to see if I can get a mirror in there and take a look..
I'm the 3rd owner and no telling what the other guys did in there..
I've taken out the center console piece and it dose help.. I'll try the rubber glove trick after I get those darn wires out of the way.. If that doesn't get it I'll get some slip pliers..
Thanks for all your ideas they're appreciated..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.