Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm going to be doing a clockwise lap of the coast with my brother this summer, does anyone have any Ireland-specific touring tips please? I've only been to Belfast twice, Dublin about four times and Dingle once (drove from Shannon) so we are relative newbys...

We are going to be sticking to the coast roads and taking it easy, so I'd be grateful for any suggestions & recommendations on what to include, what not to miss / must sees and any areas to avoid etc.

We are likely to get a ferry/cat across to Dublin from Liverpool & be planning a gentle 150/200 miles per day staying in pubs and B&Bs - I have a 'Rough Guide To Ireland' and a set of roadmaps & will have a TomTom Rider by July. Once I've worked out how far we can enjoyably get each day I'll be choosing a destination town almost at random & looking for somewhere to book in advance.

Thanks! :blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Let us know when you are coming and you can join us on a run or two ,,We can also steer you in the right direction for a good holiday ,,We go on runs most sundays during the Summer ,,And there are different regions in the goldwing club here and I am sure the guys in the other regions will tell you the good places in their regions ,,Cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

I think that Ciaran's advice is spot on hirsty, let us know when you are coming over and we can give you a detailed itinerary of the best roads in our local area,a lot of thebetter motorcycling roads are not necessarily in the Rough Guide, and you can't beat local knowledge for eeking out the better touring routes.;)

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys. We are still coming, but my brother has decided that we should be going anti-clockwise now (don't ask me why!) so I've booked us onto the Stranraer / Belfast ferry - we get to come over on the 105minute super duper catermeran for £90 return each...

Another question is the weather. We'll most likely be doing a quick blat westwards over the top of Northern Ireland & really concentrating on the West Coast. What's the weather likely to be doing in the first week of July, or more specifically, how many times do you think we'll get wet Saturday to Friday?

We will be sticking to the coastal roads & pretty much intend to have the sea in view at all times. I've got a beautiful waterproofed Michelin map & am just a little disappointed there are no detailed electronic maps for my new TomTom Rider yet - I've read the OSI story...

Really looking forward to it. :blackstuff:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.