Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I’ve been thinking about this, for a while. The idea of screaming through states, only knowing where you been by reviewing the pictures on the laptop, at night, does not appeal to me at all.

So, I had one of those epiphany thingies. I am an explorer, not a tourer. If I see something that looks cool, I’m going to stop and investigate it. What ever it is. In Mamas case……food. Fortunately, for me, she is a carnivore. Burgers, ribs, chicken, pulled pork, ect. Then there is the odd ‘road side’ market. Once, running down the Oregon coast, there was a camel ride along side the road. At the time, it was a big so what. Now I would stop and do it. Of course the girl dressed like ‘I Dream of Jeanie’ would have been of interest then, too.

So, I ask, where does touring stop and exploring begin?

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Are they not one of the same.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I'm not so sure. Most conversations involve how many miles one has gone, in a specific amount of time. Rarely do I hear, where they have gone and things they've done.

Anyone ever do something like Geocaching ?

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

UBarW wrote:
The camel along side road was probably part of the Safari attraction...
http://www.wildlifesafari.net/
This looks cool enough. Don't know if I would want to ride through the 'Lion Drive-thru'. Sounds a bit risky. Something I will put on the, when I am headed south, list of things to do. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

ScooterTramp,

I’m with you. My wife and I are explorers, not just tourers.

To me “touring” is riding for the sake of simply enjoying riding on two wheels, out in the elements with the wind in your face and the smells of the outdoors permeating the air. That’s plenty good reason enough to just “go for a ride”. (That said, some folks take that a bit too far for my liking, and go out and ride, and ride, and ride, until their butts wear out. That’s not for me and my better half.)

To me “exploring” is going for a ride on two wheels with other specific goals in mind, namely to get somewhere and do something and/or enjoy the sites and unexpected discoveries along the way. That’s us. We’re explorers!

I have discovered this distinction from going on group rides with various GWRRA Chapters. Many of them are big into touring, meaning they just want to ride. Plus, most of them want to ride way too fast for our liking. If we have to go 10+ MPH over the posted speed limit just to keep up, then there’s no enjoying the scenery along the way, and certainly no opportunity for exploring!

This distinction between touring and exploring has caused us to limit our group rides considerably lately. We would much rather do like you… ride at a pace that allows taking in the sites of your surroundings while you ride, and stop to explore things that catch your eye along the way.

Now, if I could only retire so we could have a chance to do so much more often!

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
imported post

Now, if I could only retire so we could have a chance to do so much more often!

I'm with you on that WingMan71!! I can't wait ether!!

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Exploring is where it's at, at least here in the West where there is so much diverse terrain. I only wish the Goldwing had a switch to instantly turn it into a dirt bike to get into the back country.

Me and a group of friends like to take our ultralights and dirt bikes to remote locations. We'll explore by air in the mornings, marking interesting places on our GPSs, grabbing an aerial picture or two, then ride the bikes to those places in the afternoon. We've discovered caves, volcanic craters, water falls, abandoned homesteads, stills, old dump sights, even lightning sparked forest fires.

Q

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

In my case, I enjoy the riding more. If I see something, I will stop and the ride is definately not about speed but, it is being on the road that makes the difference. I guess I feel like I can stop in a car too, but on a bike, every mile makes you feel alive. Either way, it is the journey, not the destination.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I am not opposed to the ‘ride’. Certainly not. I find more and more it heads toward the fast lane and seems to like 80 (Have to have this looked at). Even so, I don’t consider stopping, to ‘investigate something’ an interruption of the ride.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I agree, there is a distinction between the two, but they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Touring to me is riding long distance, usually over at least a few days. That can and often does include exploring.I don't considerlocal ride of a few hundred miles touring and often is more exploring, as you ride roads that you don't often travel, or have never travelled before. I enjoy exploring off the bike too, but I love to ride, so if my exploring can be done on the back of my Wing, all the better.

Sometimes to accomplish a goal, touring has limited or no exploring. For instance, our trip to NASSIR 1 required riding across the US. Not having unlimited vacation or $$, we had to make time, so the exploring was kept to a minimum and chewing up highway miles was the order of the day. I'm one that enjoys chewing up the highway miles when necessary too. I just plain love riding, whether at a nice leisurely pace on a scenic road, having some peg scraping fun in the twisties, oreating up highway miles across the barren plains. It's all good. :action:

John

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I do both!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
I agree, there is a distinction between the two, but they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Touring to me is riding long distance, usually over at least a few days. That can and often does include exploring.I don't considerlocal ride of a few hundred miles touring and often is more exploring, as you ride roads that you don't often travel, or have never travelled before. I enjoy exploring off the bike too, but I love to ride, so if my exploring can be done on the back of my Wing, all the better.

Sometimes to accomplish a goal, touring has limited or no exploring. For instance, our trip to NASSIR 1 required riding across the US. Not having unlimited vacation or $$, we had to make time, so the exploring was kept to a minimum and chewing up highway miles was the order of the day. I'm one that enjoys chewing up the highway miles when necessary too. I just plain love riding, whether at a nice leisurely pace on a scenic road, having some peg scraping fun in the twisties, oreating up highway miles across the barren plains. It's all good. :action:

John
Yep!!! Same here!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Exploring... to traverse or range over (a region, area, etc.) for the purpose of discovery: to explore the island

Touring... A trip with visits to various places of interest for business, pleasure, or instruction.

Yep, definitely both for me too.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

i have explored many times, Usually when nature calls and I need a cave or a deep bush. Youll be amazed the things youll find or the things that find you!

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

My last trip from FL to CO was some of both...we had a destination and an approximate time we needed to be there...didn't go hammer down out there but got there easily in 4 days...once our business there was complete...we loaded up the bike and started south...no idea where to stop or how far we needed to get each day..that's exploring...had a blast..can't wait to go again....took 7 days back....

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
imported post

We do both as well. We took a trip to the west coast year before last. We had already made reservations at our planned stops with the group so we knew were we needed to be every evening to stop. Most of the days meant doing at least 500 miles or more to make it to our next destination. Didn't leave much time to do any site-seeing. When we left the group that we were riding with, we took off on our own and headed north. We rode to Glacier National Park, then south thru Yellowstone and then south to Pueblo, CO, and then across Kansas and home. We still had to move every day, but we didn't have a certain location to be at everyday and that makes the trip a lot more enjoyable. Last year we went to North Carolina and the only reservations we made were for the 3 nights we stayed in Bryson City and for the ferry we took off of Cedar Island to the Otter Banks. We left there and traveled all down south and back to MO and never had a set place to be or a time to be there. Our vacation this year will be the same, no plans other than were we are going and no time to be anywhere.

Cobra

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

How did it work out, with motels? Have any trouble finding a room, or did you all camp out, while exploring?

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
some days, I am out to go to a specific place. Other days, its more like "thatway". On those days, I will change routes, turn in places, flip u-turns, and generally explore.

I love doing both...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, the best rides are those that aren't on a schedule or sometimes even a specific destination. My brother and I have made several 5-10 day road trips on our bikes with fairly tenuous destinations in mind. On one or two trips we didn't reach our original destination because an interesting fork in the road led somewhere else which in turn led us further astray. I like rides where I can load up some gear in the bike and take off. Where isn't necessarily a question that needs a definite answer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.