Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1995 GL1500 and will be towing it from Long Island NY to Williamsburg VA. Its a few hundred miles. The tow systemI have is a tow caddythat only picks the front tire up and allows the rear tire to roll free on the pavement. Will this be ok with the drive shaft or is it like a car and have to pull the shaft off.

Thank You, Jerry

PS this is what the tow caddy looks like, Or you can go to "PROHOISTS.COM" to see it

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

That looks kinda scarry for a 1500. It would not hurt the drivetrain I don't think as there are no hydralic pumps as it is a standard. If it's only a few hundred miles ride it
Wilf

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
That looks kinda scarry for a 1500.
Having had experience just trying to safely secure my 1500 on a tow truck flatdeck with a similar apparatus I can only agree!

T.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,197 Posts
imported post

IMO, that is a disaster waiting to happen for a 1,000 lb m/c.

I guarantee that the bike will fall off of that thing before you reach your destination.

No way to properly secure it w/o ruining some plastics.

That does not even consider having to remove the drive shaft, a situation that I have never heard of anyone attempting. you would have to disassemble the rear wheel, remove the drive shaft, put it all back together. A day's work that just does not even sound appetizing to me.

Far better you use a proper trailer for the bike.

I have used that exact type tow hitch for a 250 cc dirt bike. Simply pull the chain off. Plus the wheel base is shorter, and the weight is what, 250 lbs at most??

Pulled that Yamaha DT-250 for several thousand miles that way w/o nary a problem. A Goldwing? Never...

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

A lot of weight on the rear of the tow vehicle with an almost 1klb bike. I think it could be secured safely (just my opinion for whatever it's worth)

I wouldn't do it as the trans is turning even in neutral, you don't know what's getting oiled and what isn't.....Mike

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Ride it or rent a motorcycle trailer. I wouldn't take a chance on that. I have assisted loading mine on a flat bed with one of those front tire brackets twice. I don't think you'll never secure the bike safe enough to tow with just that bracket in my opinion.

I'm not a mechanic but I'd be afraid of not getting enough oil on the gears without the motor running towing it that far as well.

Ride it :action:

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I dont really think the forks were engineered to pull the weight of the bike around . Then there is the whole oiling problem with gears wirring around .

My opinion - NOPE

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,197 Posts
imported post

I forgot to mention that the transmission will be running all the time, and w/o any oil being pumped to the gears or the layshafts and bearing.

Just makes it a badder idea. Ride the bike, have the wife meet you there in the car.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Don't do it!!!! Big mistake! This is a pretty positive bunch, but everyone is trying to save you a ruined bike!!! Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
Don't do it!!!! Big mistake! This is a pretty positive bunch, but everyone is trying to save you a ruined bike!!! Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!! jimsjinx
Go to Uhaul rent a mc trailer!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

you would have straps putting stress on plastics so i think they will crack or totally break & as the plastics give the straps will get loose & eventually loose it's stability & than the whole bike. best case you stop constantly & tighten straps & haveto replace expensive plastics, worst case you loose the bike doing 65mph down the highway & cause a 10 car pile up= bike totaled & insurance denies the whole claim for even liability because it wasn't a dot aproved towing setup & you get sued for all damages to other cars.

i thing for the plastics you will break it would be cheaper to rent a uhaul open utility or motorcycle trailer that the bike fits on & tow it properly, or or as already said just caravan down with you on the bike & let the wife drive the car.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

tnoort wrote:
wilf wrote:
That looks kinda scarry for a 1500.
Having had experience just trying to safely secure my 1500 on a tow truck flatdeck with a similar apparatus I can only agree!

T.
my 1500 was "professonally" loaded onto a flatbed with one of those front wheel dollies once & i will never let them put my bike on one off those dollies again. they stressed & cracked a couple of the plastics were the straps tied to the hanlebares pushed againstthe sides of the fairing to go down to their ancor points. i'll sit on the bike & balance it as he winches it up & them i'll run the straps so nothingis pushing on plastics. most of these tow truck guys don't know anything of how to load a full dress bike without damaging paint or plastics with the straps.one guys coment to me when he picked me up with a flat is "i don't normally pick up good bikes, they are crashed & its just drag it onto the bed & haul it to the scrap yard."

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Iagree with the bunch.

1. Front forks are not designed with that kind of load.

2. Unknown oiling of transmission w/o engine running.

3. Tough to secure properly. Think about whenit gets into oscillation?

4. If stuff happens:whip: (and it always does) would insurance cover it?

5. If you decide to tow in that fashion (I don't recommend it), I would go only 45mph for less than 50 miles at a time, then start the engine and run for a few minutes to get proper oiling in the gears. (Still Very risky in my opinion).

My vote would be rent a trailer (mc or open type)and properly secure it. Then if stuff happens:badgrin:, insurance will cover whether it is your fault or not.

When securing with straps, use the biggest possible, ie 2-3" wide ratching straps. Don't use the 0.5 to 1" chinch straps. The wider strapwill spread the load out on any plastic it touches and there is no questions on safety.

If the strap touches the plastic, use some type of foam to protect the paint/plastic.

I am moving toTexas from AZ and I just loaded my GW into the back of the pickup. I know blasphmy!:sadguy: but I can't drive the truck and GW at the same time.

And yes it is secured with four 3" 10,000lb ratching straps.

Good luck with your road trip.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Let us know how that handles the 1500.

I'm curious!!!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

WOW thank you all VERY MUCH! I was hoping to get some anwser and ended up with more thanI could ever want. I truly do thank you all for your help. I will not use it. I was hoping to be able to save money and use what I had, But after read all the response I got I will stay clear of it. I'm happy I found this group.Thank again, Jerry

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
243 Posts
imported post

This is "my rig." It has a front wheel stirrup that captures the wheel. I have tie down rings in the floor. Tie it down and forget it. I have a folding ATV ramp rated at 1500lbs that is covered with plywood. Loading the bike is the only "intense" part. Make sure you have a spotter. You can rent trailers like this, however without my "add-ons,' but you can improvise.

Norm

Attachments

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Not that I would ever tow my Wing like that but the last thing I would worry about is transmission lubrication.

The transmission is in the oil sump and is splash/flood lubricated.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

The 1500 has pressure lubed shafts and bearings . I would not tow it rear tire on the ground.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

I would say if you can tie it down without breaking plastic go for it , there is no mechanical reason why you can't. there is not anymore load on the forks than riding it. the transmisson does not have a oil pump and the gears lay in oil and fling the oil around to lube everything. the rear axle is the same. there is no reason mechanically why you cannot. I have seen harley's towed this way and they weight as much as wings

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.