Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 84 1200 aspencade.just bought a trailer to tow behind it.the trailer is steel frame that is 40''x48'' and 8" tires with a aluminum box on it.it weights about 70 pounds....my question is how much weight can i pull without tearing up my clutch and transmission or any other things on the bike.i weigh 175 and my girl freind weighs 135 so i guess that weight needs to be add to the drag weight on the bike.....i wanted a better looking trailer but i could not pass up buying it for only 100.00 and itwas delivered to my door

Attachments

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Unless you are loading it with lead weights, you will never be able to over load it.

Carrying clothes, a tent, air mattress, etc... does not weigh that much.:waving:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I seem to recall reading 250 pounds when I was looking up the towing specs on my 85 1200. That did not include the trailer, just what the trailer would haul.

That would be a lot of weight for the space you have.

Unless you went nuts and put a small rack on top for folding chairs, tent...... Added the pipe under neath for the polls for the tent...... a platform up front for a small cooler to keep a few drinks and sandwiches........ HMMmmm...............

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

I tow a pop up camper with a 1500and with all the stuff we take its about three hundred pounds and so far it handles it fine. Last year we had an 85 Aspy and towed a trailer that was about two hundred total and it was o.k. too!

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Would tongue wt at the hitch be a more limiting factor and easier to exceed? Trailer wheels look a little aft of center and if a cooler full of ice and drinks were added in front of the box that tongue wt could get fairly high.Might it exceed the limits of the hitch?Or does it matter, as long as the front wheel stays on the ground? :?

Draggin' a trailer on a windy day seems.....................uncomfortable.....

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

cardinal wrote:
Would tongue wt at the hitch be a more limiting factor and easier to exceed? Trailer wheels look a little aft of center and if a cooler full of ice and drinks were added in front of the box that tongue wt could get fairly high.Might it exceed the limits of the hitch?Or does it matter, as long as the front wheel stays on the ground? :?

Draggin' a trailer on a windy day seems.....................uncomfortable.....
Mine is in the same area as you. I have about thiry pounds tongue weight on mine with the cooler full. Usually I keep it mostly empty save a small bag of ice and some water or tea then fill it up before we get to where we're going.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I have pulled my trailer weighing as much as #300 with #30 tongue weight. Only time I noticed it was back there was during hard braking or emergency lane changes. wasnt scary just felt the weight pushing a little. If I were to haul any more weight I would want some sort of braking system on the trailer wheels

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Start out at a total weight of around 250# until you are comfortable with how it handles, then max weight is not good to be in excess of 500#, doable yes, but not good.

The bike will handle much more, but the rear tire, and the handling of the bike become the issue if you go much beyond that weight.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Looks familiar :cool::cool:

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

Your bike can pull a car. The problem is not pulling, it's stopping. The heavier it is, the harder it is to stop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.