Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What are the members thoughts about this device, as you can see it relies on the rear wheel, the bike is placed in Neutral.

I dont think this would be legal in the UK but we are in the USA and anything seems to go here.

My concern is what about the transmission, what do members think? anyone had experience of towing with the rear wheel down?

If it works seems like it could be a neat way or pulling bike behind my motorhome.

I cant work out how to upload a photo from my hard drive to here, can someone tell me how? in the meantime I will try and upload under photos or files.

Stan & Karen (brits)

84 Aspy

Palm Coast.

Florida

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

Not a good idea for a shaft drive wing. The tranny won't have any oil lubing the bearings.

I have done it with a chain drive Yamaha, but I dropped the chain off.

And, how you going to get a 900# bike's front wheel up off the ground into that thing anyway?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I agree with John plus there's no way I'd haul any bike that weighs over 500 lbs this way. Of course I have a truck and a trailer.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Nope not for a shaft drive. For any long distance you would have to remove the drive shaft.

Will not hurt a chain drive bike or belt, as if in neutral only the tire and chain moves. Be okay for a bike with a separate transmission also............but not for a shaft drive.

Kit

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
I agree with John plus there's no way I'd haul any bike that weighs over 500 lbs this way. Of course I have a truck and a trailer.
Not to mention enough straps to tie down a 747. :D I found that out first hand

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

The ONLY way I would tow my Wing is on a trailer!

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

NEVER a good idea any other way.

:action:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The only way to get a Wing from point A to point B is to ride it. If it's not running get a trailer or put in a pickup truck. Towing looks like an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

schmidtap wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:
Not to mention enough straps to tie down a 747. :D I found that out first hand
Yeppers, you did, didn't you!!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

How's that old 1000 running now anyways?

When I get back from Texas you and the wife need to come up for the weekend and ride the BRP with us. Bring camping gear or you can use my tent out in the yard.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

Will have to find some time off work to do that, I'm still working on getting her to let me ride at the end of the month, worst case I'm headed to the linkup point with WVBOY

She's running alot better, loves the newer carbs

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

no thanks, i don't get enough milage out of tires

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

For sure it's technically possible (now independent if the bike like it or not) - as we can see from the picture.

I would see as a BIG problem the load on the hitch, that is in most cases for sure far beyond the load that would be allowed by the hitch-specifications.

And next to this, we do not only have a pressure on the hitch, but also a turning-force, that will for sure be loved by the hitch components - because not designed for it.

So my recommendation - let it be.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

A few years ago Just north of the Grand Canyon we saw an 1800 strapped to the back wall of a huge motorhome. It must have been a good six feet off the ground Still dunno how they got it up there

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i pulled my trike around for 3 years with a home made contraption like that around england and france with no problems, but there's no way i would put a bike on it, you could damage your steering stem, bend you forks,aswell as other damage, when you get your wing sat on it, then sit on your wing and twist the handlebars about and look a the stresses your putting on the front end, then there the back end to consider too,you should really disconnect your driveshaft, for what it costs, buy a trailer and save yourself a lot of hassle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.