Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My bike came with a bumper and ball. I'd like to rig up a little trailer with LED's this winter for up and coming road trips. I intend on using the Harbor Freight trailer as base and beef up the bikesbreaks and clutch plates. SO.......

1) What kinda of load capacity is maxed out for the GL1100? How many pounds can you load and still be safe?

Any guys hauling with the 1100's?

JR

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

on my 1200 we have a hack and a pop up trailer, so probably have been as much as 500 or so pounds.... just be aware it takes longer to stop!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I've been pulling a harbor freight trailer behind my 1100 with no problems. it pulls straight and true but takes longer and more braking power to slow down. I pulled it to Calhoun with about 200 lbs of gear in it and had no problems out of it. This is it before installing the cooler rack on the tongue. I really need to take an updated pic of it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

My rule of thumb would be to keep the towed weight to about half or less of the bike's weight before the passengers are added.

As mentioned already, you gotta be aware that it will take longer to get stopped in an emergency.

With my 4x4 I keep towed weight to about what the truck weighs and that is with trailer brakes.

I tend to be a bit conservative though...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The only caveat I can think of with an 1100 is being careful to allow a longer stopping distance. The 1100s brakes aren't the greatest anyway so a trailer added to the bike will stretch things out a bit. Not that it would be dangerous just something to be aware of.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys. I plan on trying to beef up the breaks a bit and do a complete break rebuild this winter. I like the linked breaks on these things, really evens the stopping out. Again thanks

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I uses an HF trailer with a Sears 20.0 cubic foot cargo carrier. I extended the tongue by 22 inches for stability & got the 12 inch tires. Put an extra 3 lights on the back + separate turn signals.

The carrier I got is 67.5 inches long & I put about 100 lbs in it.

Then a black ABS bumper with reflective tape & reflectors all around. Also, I narrowedthe trailerby 5 inches.

We usually ride 2up, but I don't even nnotice the trailer is there...have to keep looking in the mirror. Just made it a couple months ago & took it on a 600 mile ride....The 1500 thinksthe trailer isweightless.

Attachments

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Try to keep the total weight of the trailer and load to less than half the weight of the bike with the human load on it.

Then balance the trailer load to have between 25 and 30 lbs tongue weight on the hitch.

Stop and start slower and try to avoid starting off at an angle to the trailer as it will try to pull you over to the inside of the arc until you overcome inertia.

Also make sure that the trailer tongue is parallel to the ground. If it rises to the bike it will want to lift the back tire off the ground in an emergency stop situation. Also exposing the bottom of the trailer to the wind will tend to make a sail out of it and it will tend to want to duck walk on you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.