Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out this morning with the wife and a buddy and riding down to TowPac (about 90 miles south of me) to check out their E-Trike conversion kit... The wife and I have talked and if we like the conversion kit, we'll be coming home with it... We'll see how this goes today ;)

Les

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, after talking to the Tow Pac guys and test riding the Insta-Trike, I bought an Insta-Trike conversion kit... Got a great deal on a floor demo and the main reason why I went that way was that I would lose my wife's passenger pegs if we went with the E-Trike... The E-trike also had fairly low ground clearance when the wheels were removed - the Insta-trike was better so I went that way...

Pick it up next week after they install it... Couldn't get it today because they were too backed up from Wing Ding... I'll give more impressions after I pick it up next Friday and ride it home on the 90 mile trip back to the house...

Talked with Ray, the owner and and asked who was first - TowPac or Voyager and oddly enough, he was the one who designed the Voyager conversion as well... Long story, but he was in partner ship with a few other guys when Voyager was first started and the partnership went south, so he started TowPac... He was the designer of the Voyager kit - I saw the patent hanging on the wall!!!

Anyway, good day today and get the conversion next week and then off to the painter to have it color matched to my silver 2009...

Les

·
Magic Moderator
4,866 Posts
I had the Voyager on my 1500 and I liked it very much
That's an interesting tid-bit of info about both units.
Congrats on getting one.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I would say you will be happy. I had one a few years ago after an accident that left my ankle busted up. Also installed one on a 1500 for my wife. I finally healed and sold my towpac kit. Wife rode hers for 3 more years. Put several thousand miles on it. she was very happy. She bought a full trike this past winter and we sold kit to a friend. He is very happy with it. I like you took bike to towpac, they installed it and explained how to make adjustments. In my opinion they are 10X better that a Voyager.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input Ghost Rider - that sounds pretty positive... I'm primarily going t use it for the wife and I when we are two up, towing the trailer and loaded heavy... I'm getting older (67) and do not have the strength in my legs and arms I used to... I think for our intended purpose, it will work just fine...

As soon as I pick it up, I'll be looking for a painter to color match it to my bike and I'll also add some additional lighting to it as all it comes with is reflective tape... I'll put all the lighting on plugs so I can quickly disconnect and connect when removing or installing the conversion...

I'll post some additional info after I ride it for a bit...

Les

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I am not sure on the silver. but on my red Honda the body shop could not get a good match. They scanned the body panel and mixed paint a couple of times. I later found out to get a good match you have to go to a company called Color Rite, to get the paint.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ghost Rider,

The painter I used last time did get the paint from Color Rite and he told me he still had to play with the color quite a bit to get a good match (he was painting my Dart Cargo trailer to match my bike, so I expect this might be a similar situation but I may use a different painter this time - one that is considerably closer to the house...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picked up the Tow-Pac conversion this morning - just got back home after a brutal 180 mile (round trip) ride in 100 degree temps with 30MPH cross winds - what a way to baptize your trike kit!!!

I'm in the house cooling down right now, but I'll post some photos later on when I get a chance to take some... Going over to the paint shop tomorrow to get a price on color matching the trike kit to my Pewter Silver 09 Wing...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tow-Pac photos

OK guys, here is the Tow-Pac conversion mounted on my bike... I was just over at the painter's today getting a price (YIKES!!)... Going to get another price from a different painter in a week or so...

Conversion handles well - steering requires some effort because of no rake kit but you get used to it pretty fast... Have about 100 miles on it so far and am enjoying the ride... Have to go out of town for a week or so but when I get back I'll jump on having it painted and get some lights on it as well... I'll post results as we go along...

BTW - this is the Insta-Trike kit, not the newer E-Trike kit... The Insta-Trike has much greater ground clearance when the trike kit is removed and my wife got to keep her highway pegs - that's why we went this way - oh, and the fact that I got $1000 off the list price by buying this factory demo with 250 miles on it... Got new fenders and wheels and one new axle so I couldn't pass it up... The photos do not show the trim panel that mounts across the back bar but I purchased that too... The trim panel is strapped to the back seat wrapped in bubble pack in photo #1... Basically, anything that shows will get painted silver to match the bike - should look pretty good when finished...

Les

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Luxury vehicle

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Glad you bought the TowPac... lll The wife bought mine for me as l had both knees operated on and l did not want to quit riding, thus the kit. It took a little getting used to as you say but way better than not riding at all.. We are in Ontario Canada and thinking there are not many TowPac kits here. My black 82 looks good with the kit so no painting was required... Enjoy it as you say we are not getting any younger... you can see the pic of my kit installed on my profile as l do not seem to be able to add or paste it here..

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...cture14793t-my-1982-wing-towpac-trike-kit.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks good bubba - glad you are enjoying it... I don't have mine on all the time but I am confident it is going to fulfill my needs...

I assume that you are also a ham by the VE3 in your member ID... I am also known as WA9QYK - been licensed for about 45 years now and hold an Advanced Class ticket although I have been inactive for many years...

I'm going to take the Tow Pac over to a friends place and let her test ride at in the local college parking lot (they do MSF courses there)... She wants to see if it will fit her needs as well...

Les

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Wingers
This might be a stupid Q. Maybe I should ask the salesmen at Tow-Pac. Would it be possible to buy the kit without any plastics and wheels. I am from Namibia and to have the full kit shipped to us will cost a lot of bucks. Ours is worth ten to one US. You get the picture.
I was also thinking of trying to get hold of a used kit, even a full trike kit, coming from a accident damaged bike.

Any suggestions.
WInglove

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My painter called and said my Tow Pac will be ready tomorrow (Thursday 7/08)... I'll pick it up tomorrow, but myself and a few buddies are leaving on a 16 day Route 66 trip on Saturday morning (on 2 wheels not 3, er,ah, 4) so I won't have time to wire up the lights and re-assemble it and take some photos until I get back... Sorry for the delays but we are making "some" progress here ;)...

I'm also in the process of moving from Illinois to Tennessee so it has been a very hectic last 3 months or so, running back and forth between IL and TN... Things will be settling down now within the next few months and I'll get the Tow Pac wired and a few pictures posted...

Thanks Jim - even for the tongue in cheek raspberries... I do it out of necessity so I can keep riding safely - maybe some day you'll be there too... :rollingeyes:

In the mean time - on to "The Mother Road"!!! :cheesygrin:

Les

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the trike back from the painter - a BEE -U-TEE-FUL job!!! I'll post some photos as soon as we get back from the Route 66 trip...

Les

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Got the trike back from the painter - a BEE -U-TEE-FUL job!!! I'll post some photos as soon as we get back from the Route 66 trip...

Les
We'd like to see your Wing with the finished Insta-Trike on it. Our matching Sunflash Gold Insta-Trike on our 85 LTD looks gorgeous. We're very happy with it after 5 months of summer riding. Its serving us well.:)

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Insta Trikes are The Best. i had one on a Aero and now have one on a Volusia, Looking to buy a Wing and then the kit will come off the Volusia and move up to the Goldwing. All i have to do is buy the conversion brackets.....

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We'd like to see your Wing with the finished Insta-Trike on it. Our matching Sunflash Gold Insta-Trike on our 85 LTD looks gorgeous. We're very happy with it after 5 months of summer riding. Its serving us well.:)
Still working our way back home from our Chicago to Santa Monica Route 66 trip... Currently in West Vandenburg, Nevada heading east and about to cross into and ride thru Utah tomorrow and into Wyoming... Should be back home in Chicago (NW suburbs) home either Saturday or Sunday (21st or 22nd) and then will begin to re-assemble the trike kit adding lighting in the process... I also have to take the wheels off my Wing and have new tires installed after this trip due to severe cupping on the front tire (15K miles on Avon Cobras)...

So maybe some time next week I'll have some photos to show...

Les

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Looking forward to seeing pics of your trip.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking forward to seeing pics of your trip.
Bigmick,

no trip photos here - I have been putting them up on Facebook as we go along...Way too many photos and videos to post here or any other forum for that matter...

Currently in North Platt, Nebraska - Des Moines, IA tomorrow and home on Saturday afternoon... 15 days out and about 5000 miles total...

Les

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.