Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So last week I had to ride home from work in the snow....

I've had to take the car to work the last 3 days because of road conditions.

To put not too fine a point on the matter, the 'Wing sucks in low traction situations.

Now I realize she weighs better than 1000 pounds with me on her, and the tires are 10 years old, and motorcycles are not ment to drive in the snow. Bah!

I've ridden zip-splats, Harleys and UJM standards in the snow, and while it's occasionally spooky, it's never been a huge deal. Ice is the only thing that scares me, and with a layer of un-compacted snow on top of it, even that's not a huge issue.

So I need some advice about improving my grip.

I am currently thinking that I might try getting the tires I have siped, since I have to replace them soon anyway. Not sure how well it will work on a bike though.

Another idea is semi-knobby dual sport tires, assuming for a moment I can find them in my sizes... Possibly studded.

We only have one car, and there *are* going to be days when I have a choice between riding in a snowstorm or it's aftermath and calling in dead to work.

I can stay warm, I can see well enough even in the snow... traction is my only issue. Any suggestions?

Merlyn

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

They ice race bikes using spiked tires but they don't work well on the street. I have ridden small UJMs in the snow and never had a big problem but they were light bikes.

I wouldn't consider trying to ride a 700 lb bike on the slippery stuff. You need to be able to apply body english and the bike is just too heavy to accept the input in my opinion.

If you drop it picking it up is another problem. Think mud wrestling but wiith slush.

Problem also with cages. They don't see you in the summer whan they should be expecting you. What about winter when they don't expect you and are looking through an iced up windshield?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Well, I had a friend who used to have, I think a cb650, that he drove all the time because that was all he had . . . rain, snow, or shine. On snowy days, to get up hills, he simply bounced up and down on the seat to get a little traction.

I don't mind the cold, but I'm a little too nervous to get the old girl out on the snow . . . but I guess if that is all I had to get to work, I'd be thinking about how to get it done too.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

The only way I would ride a heavy bike in the snow is with a sidecar. I used to ride my Vespa 200 with sidecar in the snow and it worked great.

Q

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

:DOh Man does this bring back memories of scary winter rides and heavy bikes. I think the answer is to put a side hack on for the winter and take it off during the summer or leave it on it doesn't matter but to have the wing go down in snow and try to pick that up might cause you more greif than you want to have??

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

A sidecar would be an idea solution, for sure. I rode a Ural Tourist through the winter of '03 up here, and I loved how that bike handled snow. I to this day miss that bike, and regret not being able to keep it. Sidehacks tend to be pricey though. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap one.

Not having a lot of luck inding a dual-sport rear, so I think in the meantime I am going to try getting the tires siped tomorrow or Tuesday.... It's supposed to snow again a couple days this week, so I'll get to test the theory almost immediately :: sigh ::

Maybe I should just look into buying a $300 beater car for the winter....

Merlyn

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

Well - I personally would hestitate to ride a GW in the snow. Maybe a 550-650 cc bike or smaller ifI had no choice. I've picked up my GW once on dry pavement, and would not want to try it on a slippery surface.

On the topic of a goldwing as a dualsport bike though, found this pic somewhere. Thought it might be relevent.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Someone on another forum related a story about a guy who ran a 15" snow tire for a Volkswagen Beetle on his Harley in the winter- the origional darksider?

That got me to thinking, and I found THIS..

6"X16" Military tire..... So about 150/80-16. I'll bet that would fit!

Merlyn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.