Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just wanting some feed back on getting rid of my 1985 GL1200 with 102k miles and buying a 1985 Limited with 69k miles. Bike looks good, no major leaks that I can see.

Just wanted to know what people thought, I have heard the Limiteds where not as reliable as the same year Interstate and Aspencade.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

The only thing you are getting is fuel injection with all it's pluses and minuses. Personally, I'd stay with the Aspencade and carb parts can still be found. Injector parts are getting harder to come by it sounds like.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Take a ride on the LTD and see how you like it. I wouldn't be afraid of finding parts, but I'm a little bias!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

JimC wrote:
Take a ride on the LTD and see how you like it. I wouldn't be afraid of finding parts, but I'm a little bias!!!!
I haven't had to find parts for an LTD so your experience would count more than mine :)
I know the folks that have FI really like it.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I own an '85 LTD, and I recommend staying away from it at all costs. There are no positives to the fuel injection, and a truckload of negatives. Starting with NO PARTS. Both my reed valve assemblies failed (rotted due to age) and are no longer available. I ordered some used ones from a reputable online place, and they tyrned out to be just as bad as what I had. I am now trying to rig something. Many other fuel injection parts are also no longer available, and while you can sometimes find used ones, they will probably be no better than what you had. In theory it is a simple system, I've had mine completely apart. It is just as easy to work on as carbs, but again, NO PARTS ARE AVAILABLE. Mine is sitting in my back yard right now partially disassembled while I try to figure out what to do with it.

Another issue with the LTD is the charging system. The Interstate and Aspencade stators put out 350 watts, which is plenty. The LTD stator puts out 500 watts, which is simply too much for the regulator to handle. It gets red hot, burns up the connectors, then when you solder everything together, it will start burning the insulation off the wires close to the regulator. Mine even has melted plastic on the inside of the fake tank from the regulator getting so hot.

If you are interested in all the features, none of mine worked when I bought it. The stereo, cruise control, self leveling system, and trip computer were toast. True, Mine obviously sat out in the weather for many years. Then there is the digital dash. I have had intermittent problems with it cutting out, weird readings, and finally the speedometer completely failed. There is over 20' of rubber hose on the fuel injection system, in several different sizes, and all mine was rotted and leaking. I know some are in better shape than mine, but the fact that the replacement parts I got were just as bad as what I had suggests that deterioration is common on these bikes. I say stick with carbs all the way. The fuel injection doesn't do anything any better even when it is working right. I am seriously considering going to carbs on mine. The engine has 93,000 miles, but runs, (or ran) great, and has good compression all the way around.

With 102,000 miles on yours, unless it's in bad condition, it's only halfway worn out. Ride it another 100,000 miles while saving up some money to get something that is actually better.

BTW, if anyone could point me to a source for GOOD fuel injection parts, I would definitely appreciate it. Jerry.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Wow, your bike sounds like a lemon JerryH. My LTD was sitting for five years when I got it. I cleaned out the fuel system, changed the tires, and it's pretty much good to go. The benefits of FI outway the down sides, at least I think so. When nothing goes wrong it's a self tuning system, worry free riding. When it does go wrong there is usually a way to fix it pretty well. My pump went out, the guys here pointed me in the direction of a pump that only costs $100 (honda wanted $600).

I will tell you the trip computer is full of glitches, at least mine was, but only on the audio system. I wound up ripping out the factory stereo and going all after market, problem solved. I do think the way they wired the driving lights is a little goofy, but other thanthat, I'm quite happy with my LTD. I bought an aspencade at the same time, I didn't like that one near as much, but that's just me.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

The parts I need are not available at any price. Engine is good and solid, runs great, starts right up, no smoke, frame is straight and rust free, got the brakes fixed, got rid of all the "extras" didn't need or want them anyway. Had it running good for about a week, other than the overheating charging system, till the reed valve hoses on the fuel injection split. New valves are "discontinued" Bike won't run without them. Like I said, I'm trying to rig something, but unlike carbs, the FI is a very precise system. The air volume and pressure to these valves must be spot on.

My guess is your bike has this problem too, the hoses just haven't completely split yet. If it is an AZ bike and has spent much time out in the AZ sun, there will be a lot of deterioration of the rubber and plastic parts. Aside from sun, engine heat will also deteriorate these parts, they are right on top of the engine behind the intake manifolds. If you look, you will see four red hoses attached to the intake manifolds. The other end of these hoses attach to the parts I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for all the advice. Think I will stick with my Aspencade.

I appreciate all the feed back!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.